Drummers weigh in on new hornline instruments

Hrothgar..... I truly think that what left you flat had nothing to do with the talent level or quality of the hornlines...... It was the arranging.

It's both. But no corps really had that "oh my GOD" sound when the ensemble opened up, save a few (Phantom and Crown come to mind), regardless of the arranging.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the way to debate, think you are the majority and say so!!

Well, if he can share his experience, certainly i can share mine, no?

Way to be a troll :thumbup:

Many think that member limits will be expanded again, to support WWs. We can't cut back on the number of performers for the existing sections (brass, percussion, color guard). So if we add a whole new section - and that has never happened in the history of DBC - then member limits will need to go up as well. (Besides, higher member limits means more tour fees, and more revenue, for the top tier corps. It's just more gravy..... :thumbup: )

Don't be surprised to see 175 to 200 marchers on the field, if the BoD ever pull this off. I'm surprised they haven't done it already - considering how those folks are motivated by the Almighty Dollar.

Egh, I really would rather not have the field be that cluttered. 150 sounds just fine to me. If they ever allow woodwinds, please just have it limited to a small number, and have it be another instrument the pit uses.

I've got it!!!! Allow Woodwinds, allow bond fires on the field...................

well if its Bb, its easier to learn parts, and its cheaper to buy...

Neither is true :thumbup:

Price for most is higher, and the parts are no harder or easier to learn.

Many think that member limits will be expanded again, to support WWs. We can't cut back on the number of performers for the existing sections (brass, percussion, color guard). So if we add a whole new section - and that has never happened in the history of DBC - then member limits will need to go up as well. (Besides, higher member limits means more tour fees, and more revenue, for the top tier corps. It's just more gravy..... :thumbup: )

Don't be surprised to see 175 to 200 marchers on the field, if the BoD ever pull this off. I'm surprised they haven't done it already - considering how those folks are motivated by the Almighty Dollar.

The thing here, is that size limits were origially created for a good reason. If we add 50 or 100 more bodies on the field, it will start to get pretty crowded out there.

I think he was joking about when DCI switched to Bb.

Quite posibly I missed the sarcasm. It is sometimes hard to hear the tone of voice in this medium :thumbup:

Egh, I really would rather not have the field be that cluttered. 150 sounds just fine to me. If they ever allow woodwinds, please just have it limited to a small number, and have it be another instrument the pit uses.

I have seen college marching bands roll out 350-plus members. Yes, the drill can get rather crowded. There's simply not enough space, to do some of the really dynamic, high-velocity drill that you see today in DBC. No, I would not like to see the membership limits increased either.

And if it was up to me, a woodwind instrument wouldn't be allowed on a DBC field, period.

If it was up to me, all woodwinds, electronics, and non-traditional instruments would be taken off to "The Island of Misfit Toys", from "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer". They aren't needed, aren't wanted, and are just an annoyance. They can spend eternity there, with King Moonracer, Charlie-in-the-Box, Bird Fish, and A Dolly For Sue.

It's both. But no corps really had that "oh my GOD" sound when the ensemble opened up, save a few (Phantom and Crown come to mind), regardless of the arranging.

See..... I don't think there is that much difference between Phantom's and Crown's sound and the other top corps. Yes, I agree that they do open more, and I do prefer their sound better..... but I don't see how you can enjoy them so much, and not the others, unless arranging (where there are much bigger differences) is the main factor.