Drummers weigh in on new hornline instruments

Thank god for that. :thumbup:

I wouldn't be so sure. Plenty of people circa 2004 were saying "Electronics will never, ever, ever be permitted on the drum corps field. It just isn't going to happen." Where are those poeple now?

Never underestimate the arrogance and short-sightedness, of the people who run this activity.

Now, many corps a piping Artificial Base Sound (ABS) through their electronics, to make their brass lines sound larger. Again, I am convinced that much of the motivation from that comes from the move to B-flat horns.

Regarding the pitch issues with G bugles: I agree that keeping some of those bugles in pitch was a pain. But a skilled, experienced musician can do it.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the pitch issues with G bugles: I agree that keeping some of those bugles in pitch was a pain. But a skilled, experienced musician can do it.

Of course, every hour spent on getting better fighting the instrument is an hour that can be devoted to cleaning something else.

Of course, every hour spent on getting better fighting the instrument is an hour that can be devoted to cleaning something else.

Yup. We have a winner.

I wouldn't be so sure. Plenty of people circa 2004 were saying "Electronics will never, ever, ever be permitted on the drum corps field. It just isn't going to happen." Where are those poeple now?

Never underestimate the arrogance and short-sightedness, of the people who run this activity.

Now, many corps a piping Artificial Base Sound (ABS) through their electronics, to make their brass lines sound larger. Again, I am convinced that much of the motivation from that comes from the move to B-flat horns.

I respectfully disagree. It will not happen, at least not for a LONG time. Allowing woodwinds would be so much bigger than allowing electronics. With electronics, there's only one person on a synth, and that's in the pit where there's already a variety of different instruments. On the field, all we have are silver front-facing bells. Woodwinds look so much different than brass instruments, that it would be harder IMO to get things to look uniform on the field. Also, to stay under the member limit, corps would have to take numbers out of their brassline, making them at the least slightly quieter.

If woodwinds were aloud, I think all corps would do is have maybe a woodwind instrument in the pit and use it for some sort of affect, kind of like what the Cavaliers did with the whistles in '08, and that weird instrument (sorry, don't know what it's called) this past year in the corner of the field. I actually wouldn't mind that, as long as they didn't overdo it.

This is why I think woodwinds will never be put on the field, at least to the extend marching bands do today.

Edited by Noname

Also, to stay under the member limit, corps would have to take numbers out of their brassline, making them at the least slightly quieter.

If woodwinds were aloud, I think all corps would do is have maybe a woodwind instrument in the pit and use it for some sort of affect, kind of like what the Cavaliers did with the whistles in '08, and that weird instrument (sorry, don't know what it's called) this past year in the corner of the field. I actually wouldn't mind that, as long as they didn't overdo it.

This is why I think woodwinds will never be put on the field, at least to the extend marching bands do today.

Many think that member limits will be expanded again, to support WWs. We can't cut back on the number of performers for the existing sections (brass, percussion, color guard). So if we add a whole new section - and that has never happened in the history of DBC - then member limits will need to go up as well. (Besides, higher member limits means more tour fees, and more revenue, for the top tier corps. It's just more gravy..... :thumbup: )

Don't be surprised to see 175 to 200 marchers on the field, if the BoD ever pull this off. I'm surprised they haven't done it already - considering how those folks are motivated by the Almighty Dollar.

(I am convinced that this explains the increased size of the corps to 150. This allowed the top-level corps to add 10-12 more bugles - which increased the size of their horn lines by 15%. This roughly equates the decrease in sound volume, precipiated by the switch to B-flat.)

I agree with this. I really have a rough time believing that the old 64 member hornlines were significantly louder than the current 80 member hornlines. I know how the physics of instruments work, and there is just no way the G bugles were that much louder...... maybe 15% (which really is quite a bit), but like the above poster said, this should be overcome by the increase in size.

I think this is purely a case of people "remembering" drum corps louder than they really were.

Not sure how much that played a part, since I was sitting in row 5 a few feet away from the drum major podium, and plus I saw a lot of those hornlines at outdoor venues and had the same reaction.

Hrothgar..... I truly think that what left you flat had nothing to do with the talent level or quality of the hornlines...... It was the arranging.

Edited by Tez

I think it's a lot easier to look at history with rose colored glasses, especially when you're only reference is video from Top 6 corps.

It's unarguable that brass lines now are INFINITELY better than they were even 15 years ago. They play much more in tune than G-bugle playing groups played, and the caption is much more competitive than the mid-90's and earlier. Yes, there were great G-bugle horn lines, but I think that the lower placing corps this year had WAY better sounding horn lines than lower placing corps of 15 + years ago. I will gladly sacrifice volume for better intonation and sound quality.

In your opinion. Much more in tune? LOL. Definitely horn lines today INFINITELY SUCK from a balance standpoint. Anytime the low brass opens up (rarely) the trumpets are completely buried or the pit buries them from the amps because they no longer project the volume they once had. I would like to know what brass background you actually have to have such a sweeping opinion of brass intonation and sound quality you seem to bring to every single post you have made regarding this. Quite honestly, I think you are making broad statements thinking you are hearing something that isn't there because you have a poorly trained ear. But, I digress.

I agree with this. I really have a rough time believing that the old 64 member hornlines were significantly louder than the current 80 member hornlines. I know how the physics of instruments work, and there is just no way the G bugles were that much louder...... maybe 15% (which really is quite a bit), but like the above poster said, this should be overcome by the increase in size.

I think this is purely a case of people "remembering" drum corps louder than they really were.

Again, G horn lines are and WERE much louder. Here..this is a paper submitted by Peter Bond regarding this issue before that fateful decision.

Peter Bond-multi key

Apparently youre one of the few. Everyone i talked to thought this was a superior year of drum corps, top to bottom.

That's the way to debate, think you are the majority and say so!!