Would Phantom's show have been received better if it had no storyl

Interesting.

How was the audience supposed to catch on to that any easier than the red violin story?

I don't think they were supposed to...since there wasn't a specific story that BD was trying to convey, it wasn't vital that the audience understood all the little nuances. As long as the judges got it...which, I guess they did.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they were supposed to...since there wasn't a specific story that BD was trying to convey, it wasn't vital that the audience understood all the little nuances. As long as the judges got it...which, I guess they did.

Yep. It is all about the judges, afterall. Lucky them.

Yep. It is all about the judges, afterall. Lucky them.

Not what I was saying at all, I think you misinterpreted my post. It isn't all about the judges...nor is it all about the audience. Finding a nice balance between the two works well. The guard solo dance was entertaining for the casual observer as well as an important part of the 1930 theme for whoever understood it (audience and judges alike).

Unlike 2008, it seemed to me that there was minimal emotional connection to/investment in the story line. I didn't really care that the philandering main character got the girl back at the end. At finals I was hoping that she would take back the violin from the red dress girl and then turn around and slap the guy for cheating on her.

The guard solo dance was entertaining for the casual observer as well as an important part of the 1930 theme for whoever understood it (audience and judges alike).

Actually, I never liked that part of the show, largely because I didn't get what it was supposed to mean. IMO, if you're going to create a focal point like that, the audience should be able to figure out why it's there.

Very cool video BTW.)

Edited by jpaul

I tried to watch the show with an open mind but I just couldn't agree with the music and story. /quote]

If I want to be told a story, I'll go inside a theater to see a fricking movie!

All shows would be received better if none of them had a story.

Musical stories on a football field. :worthy:

Actually, I never liked that part of the show, largely because I didn't get what it was supposed to mean. IMO, if you're going to create a focal point like that, the audience should be able to figure out why it's there.

Very cool video BTW.)

I agree wholeheartedly. I always assumed he was going crazy, as some of the contra players (I think they were) were trying to corral him with chairs. Here's guessing that zero people in the audience related that dance to brief scene from a very obscure 1930 movie without being told.

And that brings me back to the "coherence" of the BD show that a poster brought up earlier. I don't see it.

I feel that the BD designers get way too much credit. They take a cool idea, they clean the crap out of it, and the result is that they are put on this pedestal for taking design to a whole new level. I don't get that.

Note that the same could be said for, say, PR's brassline - they get a lot of credit from the audience because they are historically known for a great brass sound regardless of whether they really have that sound in any given year.