Most Elegant Drill in DCI

Crossmen 92: whole show

But wait, I thought drill today was sooo many lightyears more advanced than anything corps were doing back then. You mean you can have a complete musical presentation AND effective drill? :tongue:

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bit of a different take on what you mean by "elegant". I'm thinking what you're asking about is what shows have the smoothness factor. I can think of many shows that a corps looked more like it was floating instead of marching. I can also think of some corps who march so well that I think I can join them and not suck! They make it look THAT easy, and we all know how much work it takes to make something look easy.

Cool moves are cool moves, and I love them too. But when a corps pulls off the cool move and makes it look effortless, THAT'S elegance to me. Having said that, I agree with the earlier poster that the Cadets "anniversary chunk" towards the end of the 2009 show was truly elegant.

I have a bit of a different take on what you mean by "elegant". I'm thinking what you're asking about is what shows have the smoothness factor. I can think of many shows that a corps looked more like it was floating instead of marching. I can also think of some corps who march so well that I think I can join them and not suck! They make it look THAT easy, and we all know how much work it takes to make something look easy.

Cool moves are cool moves, and I love them too. But when a corps pulls off the cool move and makes it look effortless, THAT'S elegance to me. Having said that, I agree with the earlier poster that the Cadets "anniversary chunk" towards the end of the 2009 show was truly elegant.

:blink::worthy::tongue:

um...27th Lancers 1981...

Edited by G-Rott

double helix in Cavies '95. Just smooth

It was called the "DNA". If you pay close attention the move ends with the entire corps making a formation I would compare to a certain male reproductive cell.

Edited by Cavie74

-just about anything the Cavies do. My favorites are 2002 "Fight Club", as well as the closer the same year where they formed the square with the circle in the middle, and the formed moved to the left and the circle was rotating

-2006 Blue Devils where the hornline and drumline formed the corss, the moved it over, forming the knife going through a heart the guard had formed

-2008 Phantom Regiment, right before the battle scene/drum feature where the hornline was doing the straight leg high stepping thing in half time in a block with the drumline going through time in regular time, and they were going towards the guard. For some reason I just really like that.

This is a great topic. Some of the historical kick-### moves are more agressive than elegant. Difficult can still be elegant, but I like the way Bandguy described elegant. My favorite drill year after year (especially through the 90s) is the Cadets, but many of my favorite moves during that time frame would be more agressive, I think.

That said, I love the jet/shark drill in 94 cadets - it just appears quickly, fits the music perfectly, and flows right along.

I'll also mention:

Phantom 89, the ending drill

Phantom 91, the opening drill (maybe the elegant music colors my tastes there)

SCV 2009 - all the way

Crown 2009 - disappearing/reappearing Promise of Living

This is a great topic. Some of the historical kick-### moves are more agressive than elegant. Difficult can still be elegant, but I like the way Bandguy described elegant. My favorite drill year after year (especially through the 90s) is the Cadets, but many of my favorite moves during that time frame would be more agressive, I think.

That said, I love the jet/shark drill in 94 cadets - it just appears quickly, fits the music perfectly, and flows right along.

I'll also mention:

Phantom 89, the ending drill

Phantom 91, the opening drill (maybe the elegant music colors my tastes there)

SCV 2009 - all the way

Crown 2009 - disappearing/reappearing Promise of Living

The mosty elegant? The drill during The Fire of Eternal Glory 1993 Phantom Regiment :tongue:

In '89 and '90 and I think several years after that, Cadets would occasionally have small sections of mass guard fill in or overlay moving curvilinear hornline shapes, and just pause briefly to do a silk, body or weapon effect within those forms. It is really noticeable in the '90 Mass section of the show with groupings of the stained glass flags that have a ripple effect. This would appear for just a few seconds and then move on.

REALLY effective.

Also around that time period, they would often close the show with frozen sections of horns that would then come to life one by one and connect into moving curving shapes that had been started by a previous group. So smooth and seamless. It was great when they would do that out of seemingly scattered sets. Suddenly out of the mess, a shape would appear and keep moving through the others. Loved that.

As much as I enjoy what they do now, I miss the organic, liquid movement they used to do with Zingali and Sylvester. It always looked like a living, breathing organism, as opposed to the harder-edged approach to design they use these days.