Temperature remains issue in LOS

Somehow, I suspect things are being addressed and will be addressed for quite some months. The powers that be don't live in a vacuum.

It would be nice if they acknowledged that instead of saying "everything was great." (Both Dan P and Dan A on the last webcast)

I don't care how many things there are to do in any given metro area, if the venue for the main event is sub-par, then it's not a good place for the event. (I can always find a park to walk in or an antique store or read a book etc.)

It doesn't do the young members justice to have their hard work and talent displayed in a venue like LOS that distorts the sound and makes their playing sound less then it really is.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice if they acknowledged that instead of saying "everything was great." (Both Dan P and Dan A on the last webcast)

I don't care how many things there are to do in any given metro area, if the venue for the main event is sub-par, then it's not a good place for the event. (I can always find a park to walk in or an antique store or read a book etc.)

It doesn't do the young members justice to have their hard work and talent displayed in a venue like LOS that distorts the sound and makes their playing sound less then it really is.

Even in the BEST place they could find horn lines sound weak. Blaming DCI for this stadium is only part of the issue.

Even in the BEST place they could find horn lines sound weak. Blaming DCI for this stadium is only part of the issue.

A stadium with perfect accoustics? No. Stadiums with better accoustics then Lucas Oil, many!

I'm not blaming DCI for the problem. They didn't build the stadium. I also realize there are many other financial and logistical concerns for them to consider as well.

I also know they can't make a public statement ranting about their disappointment with the accoustics the way us fans can here on DCP.

I would simply like them to, diplomatically, admit there were some problems. Something like:

"While most aspects of the week in Indy were very good, we do have some concerns, especially concerning the sound, and will be working with Lucas stadium management to resolve our concerns."

Would that be so hard?

Edited by shawn craig

Well, not to push the point but MANY college marching bands have been to that stadium and haven't had the issue most corps are having today.

I do have one question... is anyone ACTUALLY in favor of indoor shows?

I've wondered this for years. I guess I've understood why it makes sense for BOA since their late season events would be very difficult to stage outdoors unless you commit solely to the South. And I kind of accepted the idea that it's too hot in Texas to be outdoors in July so, ya know, why not do a Dome thing.

But speaking solely as one fan (who sat through the hottest {and one of the all time great} DCI finals on record and several rainy DCI finals as well), I would really rather be outside.

Being indoors dramatically changes the musical product. Many of us don't like that, but, are their fans or corps who prefer it? Said another way, if you could magically plop Invesco Field or Lucas Oil Stadium into your favorite city to host finals, which would you choose?

Edited by Matt_S
fixed quote tags

Well, not to push the point but MANY college marching bands have been to that stadium and haven't had the issue most corps are having today.

Just because the college marching bands have been their doesn't mean they had good acoustics. No music event at LOS has ever had good acoustics.

I do have one question... is anyone ACTUALLY in favor of indoor shows? I mean, when I marched I still enjoyed Indy and San Antonio... and the Atlanta show isn't bad. But drum corps, just like marching band, is better outside. I wonder is the push of BOA and DCI to go inside fueled by WGI somehow? And my question is why? Domes have to cost more to use than having finals at a good open-air stadium. I just don't get it. Need anyone be reminded, while domes may have controlled climates, no wind, basically the "perfect environment" (sans acoustics) have any of those things hurt attendance at Yankees games? Red Sox? Cubs? Steelers? Packers? You get my drift.

Funny you should bring that up about WGI. With the fireworks and all. During the age out ceremony their were a couple people on the field (controlling the flow of the age outs and where they stood) who run a major winter color guard circuit and are very involved with WGI. I wouldn't have thought twice about it but one of them had told me earlier in the season that they have previously had no involvement with DCI in the past. My guess is DCI has approached WGI about setting things up logistically with it now becoming an indoor event.

Edited by bmroth1

I do have one question... is anyone ACTUALLY in favor of indoor shows? I mean, when I marched I still enjoyed Indy and San Antonio... and the Atlanta show isn't bad. But drum corps, just like marching band, is better outside. I wonder is the push of BOA and DCI to go inside fueled by WGI somehow? And my question is why? Domes have to cost more to use than having finals at a good open-air stadium. I just don't get it. Need anyone be reminded, while domes may have controlled climates, no wind, basically the "perfect environment" (sans acoustics) have any of those things hurt attendance at Yankees games? Red Sox? Cubs? Steelers? Packers? You get my drift.

BOA has been inside for a long time, so i doubt WGI had any influence there

they did say, as i started another thread about in here the other week, that they will be asking for feedback