Jim Mason joining Madison Scouts

Sorry, but I am not in on this aquisition. I think that the members are in for a real shock. He has a temper unlike any I have ever experienced. Don't cross him even accidentily or you will pay dearly. I am speaking from first hand experience having marched under him in the Colts. He kicked a contra player in the backside because he wasn't playing during a runthrough. The contra had split lips and was in the process of healing. It didn't matter to Mr. Mason. The kick was real. He also got so mad at me and another member for running on break to a nearby McDonalds. He was yelling and spitting in our faces for leaving. How dare we do something like that on BREAK.... Good luck to the new Scouts. I left that day and marched another corps that year and never looked back. He is great at what he does but just don't cross him.

Sounds like he was a B. A. however, I think those days in DCI are long gone. I'm just speaking of things I've seen and been around in the last 23 years.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting way too old, dumb and ignorant for this, but if you'll pardon the question, exactly who is Jim Mason and what does he do?

With Jim Scouts got VanDoren:

in 1998 and 1999, VanDoren was the Brass Caption Head for the Cadets of Bergen County, winning the world championship in 1998. Since 2005, he has been an advisor to both the Blue Stars and the Carolina Crown. He's an inductee of the Cadets Hall of Fame, the Star of Indiana Wall of Fame, and the DCI Hall of Fame.

From 1980 to 1984, he was the Brass Caption Head for the Garfield Cadets, winning two world championships in 1983 and 1984.

VanDoren was the Brass Caption Head for the Star of Indiana in 1986, and from 1988 to 1993, winning the world championship in 1991. From 1994 to 1998, Donnie served as Brass Theater's Music Manager, and helped the organization transition into the BLAST production that has been touring the US and abroad since 2001. BLAST is the recipient of both an Emmy and a Tony award.

in 1998 and 1999, VanDoren was the Brass Caption Head for the Cadets of Bergen County, winning the world championship in 1998. Since 2005, he has been an advisor to both the Blue Stars and the Carolina Crown. He's an inductee of the Cadets Hall of Fame, the Star of Indiana Wall of Fame, and the DCI Hall of Fame.

From 1980 to 1984, he was the Brass Caption Head for the Garfield Cadets, winning two world championships in 1983 and 1984.

VanDoren was the Brass Caption Head for the Star of Indiana in 1986, and from 1988 to 1993, winning the world championship in 1991. From 1994 to 1998, Donnie served as Brass Theater's Music Manager, and helped the organization transition into the BLAST production that has been touring the US and abroad since 2001. BLAST is the recipient of both an Emmy and a Tony award.

Donnie has been working with Crown since 03/04, not 05.

And he is also currently the Associate Producer of Blast!, and does all of the casting.

He was also with the Troopers in the mid 80's.

dupp post

Edited by bmroth1

Sorry, but I am not in on this aquisition. I think that the members are in for a real shock. He has a temper unlike any I have ever experienced. Don't cross him even accidentily or you will pay dearly. I am speaking from first hand experience having marched under him in the Colts. He kicked a contra player in the backside because he wasn't playing during a runthrough. The contra had split lips and was in the process of healing. It didn't matter to Mr. Mason. The kick was real. He also got so mad at me and another member for running on break to a nearby McDonalds. He was yelling and spitting in our faces for leaving. How dare we do something like that on BREAK.... Good luck to the new Scouts. I left that day and marched another corps that year and never looked back. He is great at what he does but just don't cross him.

This just isn't the place for him to put out a story about someone getting kicked in the back. However, there are plenty of people who could or would say things that aren't so flattering about Jim Masons leadership with both Colts and Star. Oh yeah, on a side note. BITD (i.e. pre Greg Orwoll) the Colts didn't always get fed the best. So it wouldn't surprise me if he was eager to get to a McDonalds..... My how times have changed.

Edited by bmroth1

Haha Now that's the kind of discipline I'm talkin about!! :worthy:

IMO, getting Van Doren is the key pick up here. It will be interesting to see if Mason gets frustrated with any financial limitations he might have to deal with, because money was never an issue in Bloomington. And, as another poster stated, Mason is (still) known for his temper. You really can't say enough good things about VanDoren though. He's a class guy and a great teacher who will be a great addition for the Scouts.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I love those people that are coming in here and hijacking the thread talking about Jim's "temper." Sorry it's not 1984 anymore and people change. Although, as I know is the case with everyone on DCP having first hand information, so some say he still has it.

I guess his success as a designer and leader aren't enough for some of you, you must talk about an incident that happened several decades ago and we just can't let go of.

At any rate, it's still a great pick up to have both Mason and VanDoren, even though some people had a negative experience, or a friend of a friend of a friend, but we "know."

Did you ever stop to think that since the corps director is ultimately responsible for the members well being, that he yelled at you and your friend for leaving the corps facility and going somewhere on your own were anything may have happened to you?

I am looking forward to the new Jim mason drinking game, chug a beer each time he looks into the stands to see how the crowd is responding. Double chug if his hands are above his head.