Jim Mason joining Madison Scouts

How come we don't make that who's who list Roark???

Speaking for myself, I was very fortunate to be along for the ride with so many talented members and staff. The older I get the more I realise how much I learned from people like Gurno, Chris Theo, Jimmy Elvord, etc. Not just about music, but about helping young people in what ever they do.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, C'mon Mike, we're the glue!!!!!!!!! (or just legends in our own minds?)

Damm straight Jerry. It amazes me that after 34 years people still talk about that show.

I'll even get a :laughing: from some current members if I have my jacket on with the "1975 DCI Champions" patch.

So maybe we are legends, at least in this little drum corps world we live in.

Looking forward to a very interesting off season. Lots happening out there.

Kudos to Chris for what is being described as a drum corps coup.

If I had to guess as to how all of this went down, I bet it went like this:

Mason says to Van Doren: "Hey Donny, want to get the old team back togther?"

Donny: Sure, that sounds like fun. (not much emotion, like he is)

Mason: Cool, I'm glad you're on board. Now, we have to go all-out; get Jimmy and Jonathan too

Donny: Of course I assumed that. (dead pan, like he is)

Mason: Ya know, we can't really go begging for Bill's money, so we'll have to go for some scrub, and build them up...

Donny and Mason, literally shrieking, evilly: "The Madison Scouts!"

I know Madison has been crying "we're poor," since Scott Stewart left, but the money will magically appear now, trust me.

My main point is: I bet these guys cooked it up, and presented t to Madison, not the other way around.

So with all these great design team announcements does anybody else really want to see "A drum corps fans dream part tres" ?

no lame theme or story, just good music good visuals to compliment it, and testosterone, all designed by a team that can pull it off, and say we're still the madison scouts.

just a thought, I think it would be cool but I'm sure they will think of something better :)

Is a new guard designer/caption head soon to be announced? I assume that the visual designer, though he worked with SCV winterguard, is going to be writing the drill and not the guard design?? Am I wrong?

I know Madison has been crying "we're poor," since Scott Stewart left, but the money will magically appear now, trust me.

Honestly, this is the bit that's nagging in the back of my mind. There's no doubt that bringing in this staff is a game-changer for Madison. But do they really have the finances to support this? For how long? "Cheap" and "penny-pinching" are not the first words that come to mind when I contemplate this team's previous work!

Maybe, as you say, there's some new money that's about to appear as part of this amazing string of bombshells. But why would said donors have sat on the sidelines for this entire decade while the Scouts struggled?

Honestly, this is the bit that's nagging in the back of my mind. There's no doubt that bringing in this staff is a game-changer for Madison. But do they really have the finances to support this? For how long? "Cheap" and "penny-pinching" are not the first words that come to mind when I contemplate this team's previous work!

Jim Mason and DVD are also both businessmen, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think they would have come on board if they didn't believe that the organization would be able to hold up as they need to. To me, the fact that these guys have selected Madison to come on board with says a LOT about the quality of Madison's current administrative team.

On the surface, the market value of this staff would appear to be too much for any current corps to afford, but since Mason said in his statement that this was a way to "give back" to the corps that started him on his main path in life, I assume a M.E.G. package deal with Madison has been worked out , which is being provided for a non-budget destroying amount. Since Blast and their other shows have been successfully touring for years, and their initial production costs are probably long ago paid off, these guys more than likely have the time and financial security to be able to have some fun with this project, and then put staff in place to continue what they are starting when other projects and business needs require more attention.

The closest recent comparison would be 2002 Magic, which rocketed back from the ashes with an all-star staff. They weren't able to sustain that level, but this is an entirely different organization, and I think everyone involved is too careful and smart to begin something that will crash a few years later.

People have speculated for years what a Second Coming of Star would look like, and, well, we're about to find out...now wrapped in a green overcoat of Madison style. I can't imagine this isn't sending nervous tremors throughout the entire top 17, as pretty much everyone will be affected from both competitive and recruitment standpoints. Interesting times ahead!