What is "Breathe-Dah"?

You literally breathe in and, at the time of attack, immediately change airflow direction while attacking with a "dah" syllable. "Tah" is too rough, unless you're playing an accent, and "hah" is too light and can lead to timing issues unless the horn line is VERY well trained with a great sense of timing.

Essentially, tank up on air (and use the breath for timing, taking it over 1-2 beats), then attack the note.

????

shouldn't it be called the "how to play a brass instrument" approach?

how else would someone play?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This

Sorry it just doesn't seem as profound as everyone who raves about it makes it seem.

Not everyone used it in 1983 when DVD was implementing it. Breathing GYM didn't really get started until after 2000 on a wide scale. So the "SIMPLE" Breathe - Dah method obviously wasn't so simple back in the day.

I think this label of breathe - dah has been oversimplified. Getting that right is only the first step to the DVD method of playing. Yes it's about timing, air and proper attack but that doesn't even begin to cover tuning individual chords, balance, overtone generation, different syllables in different ranges, back tongue arch in different registers, air speed, EVERYONE PLAYS, the list goes on and on. And yes, it was all revolutionary to drum corps in the early 80's. It's now common place, but not many lines do it better than the ones where DVD is involved because he doesn't let ANYTHING slide.

I just wanna know more about the thong!

"Breathe....dah"

Is that like...instructions?? :tongue:

:tongue: (before anyone thinks I didn't get it, this was a joke)

Edited by BigBadMadMan

but not many lines do it better than the ones where DVD is involved because he doesn't let ANYTHING slide.

I think this is it. . . a lot of corps use the same basic philosophy, but I think it has more to do with DVD's personal touch and his dedication to perfection. This is going off of having never met the guy, but it seems like the philosophy, while simple, can do wonders in the right hands. In the wrong hands, it's meaningless.

Edited by TSRTS13

So basically it's what everyone in the world already does.

Pretty much. Jim Elvord was teaching this approach in the 70s.

But don't knock it. When you have 60-80 players, one of the hardest things to do is get everyone to start the note at the same time, with the same dynamic, pitch, and tone quality. "Breath-dah" or whatever you want to call it gets everyone on the same page quickly.

I just wanna know more about the thong!

"Breathe....dah"

Is that like...instructions?? :tongue:

:tongue: (before anyone thinks I didn't get it, this was a joke)

Well it's step one of the instructions. You do that for an extended period

of time, then step 2.....ah, nevermind. :thumbup: