Perfect scores.

you want the tick back?

Then you have not read all these threads... but you're welcome to your opinion... thankfully, it will NEVER happen... by the way, how many shows have YOU judged? With winter guard and drum corps and marching bands I must have done maybe 400... you? Have you judged 8 DCA Championships? Oh and have you been chief judge training other judges for an entire state? Have you been chief visual judge for DCA, selecting, clinicing and critiquing other judges? Have you caught young judges erasing and added ticks to make the score comes out right? hmmm... I have done all these things... You?

that's hitting him in the mouth tom............good for you. :lle:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom clear your PM box please.

Whelp, when I first started out in drum corps we were taught that a score of 100 was perfect and that although no corps would ever score that high, it was the number to shoot for, like a batting average. Stone age. Then scoring changes to build up. Now 100 means the top score of the evening? Is drum corps being graded on a curve?

I want the tick back.

[/quote

I marched with and without the tic. I never want to see the tic again and as mentioned before it won't happen. If you check DCA scores in the 60's and 70's you will see there are many occasions where corps scores could jump 5 points from prelims to finals. You beat a corps be 3 points one weekend and lose to the same corps by 4 points a week later. That is why tics were awful, they allowed to much interpretation by the judge. I think the scores this year were right on from top to bottom.

you want the tick back?

Then you have not read all these threads... but you're welcome to your opinion... thankfully, it will NEVER happen... by the way, how many shows have YOU judged? With winter guard and drum corps and marching bands I must have done maybe 400... you? Have you judged 8 DCA Championships? Oh and have you been chief judge training other judges for an entire state? Have you been chief visual judge for DCA, selecting, clinicing and critiquing other judges? Have you caught young judges erasing and added ticks to make the score comes out right? hmmm... I have done all these things... You?

Wow Mr. Peashey, way to let me have it!! You are tough and wise. But I think you took this personally, which was not my intention. I didn't realize we who know not should waive our credentials around to gain notice to our opinions. Obviously this is a thread for judges and I am clearly in the wrong for offering my horrible opinion. Who am I to argue with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations for DCA?

Nice PR, by the way.

I marched with and without the tic. I never want to see the tic again and as mentioned before it won't happen. If you check DCA scores in the 60's and 70's you will see there are many occasions where corps scores could jump 5 points from prelims to finals. You beat a corps be 3 points one weekend and lose to the same corps by 4 points a week later. That is why tics were awful, they allowed to much interpretation by the judge. I think the scores this year were right on from top to bottom.

i have to disagree with you on a point. just because you beat a corps one week does not mean you should beat them the next week. in 1968 the yankee rebels went to syracuse and came in last and they were bad. the next week in hershey they were really good and they won. i don't care what system you use THAT is how it should be. that wasn't interpretaion.......that was clean baby.

I of course have been speaking as an old frustrated judge... the system of the 70's was SO BAD and I worked SO HARD to change it that I do tend to take it personally... sorry, no malice intended... just wanted to make my point and frankly get a bit tired of hearing tick this and tick that each fall... and it's been gone for some 25 plus years...

Don't mean to offend... just inform...

I of course have been speaking as an old frustrated judge... the system of the 70's was SO BAD and I worked SO HARD to change it that I do tend to take it personally... sorry, no malice intended... just wanted to make my point and frankly get a bit tired of hearing tick this and tick that each fall... and it's been gone for some 25 plus years...

i feel your pain buddy.

I see. Passion evokes passion. None of us would be here if we didn't care. So let me speak as a frustrated old drummer from the 70's who was not around again until the last few years.

The change for me was drastic. From a give and take system to a give and give again system. I just had not been around a philosophy like that since I got gold stars for a good soap carving. So I say to myself ok, drum corps knows what they're doing. Great. I'm in. But then I start looking at caption scores and wonder--how is it these scores are so....quantized as to predict the placement of a horn line simply by what place the corps takes? PR or SCV take 5th therefor 5th in drums, horns, GE etc. Not in every case but enough for me to see what corps was going to finish where at DCI finals this year. People sitting next to me joked that BD was going to win regardless of their performance because the judges have already placed them there--and the folks sitting on the other side of me agreed. (BD's early left side show was a tic farm) So, now I'm supposed to have faith in this kind of result? How would you feel--as a judge--hearing that from fans? The show's pre judged so f@#$ it! This is why I have an opinion here and now.

Ok, perhaps the tick is not the answer, but the "Moore's Law" tactics of today's judging are not working so swell either. The state of drum corps needs a new plan. And I'm sure cooler heads will prevail and exact one soon.

And no, I don't have the answer (yet) so I will again try to listen more than I speak.

Whelp, when I first started out in drum corps we were taught that a score of 100 was perfect and that although no corps would ever score that high, it was the number to shoot for, like a batting average. Stone age. Then scoring changes to build up. Now 100 means the top score of the evening? Is drum corps being graded on a curve?

I want the tick back.

Add to the list of things that have changed that dinosaurs won't be getting back. Rawr. Learn to love it, or learn to love complaining about it.

well said but that is where I disagree....

While as a show official at championships I have the luxury of really not caring about the order of finish... but I do care... and I'm sorry, I did not see one position that I could point to as wrong... or even questionable...

So no, I don't see where you're coming from unless it's just sour grapes from a marching member or staff member...

Sorry, but that's the way I see it...

Now as for the 70's... (and worse in the 60's) can I tell you about some stories - especially pre and early DCA

While I love talking about past and present judging systems and techniques, I can not and will not discuss any individual scores or positions... so I guess we agree to disagree which is fine.