Tuba player kills cameraman

I dunno, it'll be pretty tough to top Cal Tech's 1961 Rose Bowl prank. Messing with another school's flip card routine on national television?

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/Hoaxipe...Rose_Bowl_Hoax/

Right up there would be the unofficial " End of Elvis " as done by the unofficial Univ of Virginia marching band.

The stunt perpetuated by the fiendish fourteen is really the stuff of legend!

Edited by fecontra

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Michigan fan, I was hoping the camerman would win...

As a michigan fan you should be hoping for any kind of win! :thumbup:

I certainly don't mean any disrespect to the OSUMB, and I know the Ohio Script is an icon of sorts, but what is the big deal? It's a freakin' follow the leader drill. The most important guy in that drill is the DM, 'cause if he screws up, the whole thing is screwed up!

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

Yes, but we have cool visuals too. Simultaneous demand, dude! :wub:

I know. Tryouts for that band are brutal. I tried out in 1983, my freshman year. I came back from drum corps, thinking I was going to breeze my way into that place. (I hadn't picked up a trombone in months. Trombone was my primary B-flat instrument at the time) Boy, was I in for a rude shock. I failed my audition miserably. Dr. Woods made it quite clear to me - don't come back. Ever again. I didn't. But someone, they made it without me.

(I find it ironic, that some universities have to force and cajole people - even music majors - into playing in marching band. At that university, they cut hundreds of people every year. It's practically like trying out for BD or Cadets! They also eventually had to change the rules, so that part-time students couldn't permanently take up spots in the band. There were 40-year-old guys who would enroll for 1 credit hour, try out for marching band, and take the spot of some 18-year-old kid. They eventually had to do this, to give the rookies a fighting chance.)

Yes, tradition is at the core of that band, and that university. I deeply suspect that when your son tries out for the drum line, in the fall of 2018 or so, they will have the exact same book, same drill, same uniforms - everything.

The rest of the pageantry arts may change, but that outfit never will. There needs to be one place, where tradition and heritage is paramount.

Well, they did change instrumentation a while back. They got rid of the Alto Horns and replaced them with mellophones. Also, some of the brass arrangements sound different. I think "My Town" was a little different sounding... :thumbup:

And yes, tryouts are brutal and even drum corps vets have trouble getting spots.

As a michigan fan you should be hoping for any kind of win! :thumbup:

You mean like the 3 they've already had this year?

You know, when you think about it.

This might be a "response" to Nike's "Raise a Champion" ad...

I never knew their band was such a big deal and I went to a big 10 school

impressive

nice way they built up the program and sold it to the fans by maintaining tradition and here I was being led to believe that kids don’t like tradition, that its not cool and its bad for band

I bet more people see the OSU band in a year than see all the DCI corps combined through out the season

Yep, tradition

*cues SCV doing fiddler highlights*

I bet more people see the OSU band in a year than see all the DCI corps combined through out the season

Absolutely...I didn the math once and through my Big 10 career I have easily performed in front of 5 million people live....hundreds of millions more on TV.