Cavaliers name new director

Are you two serious?

I wont go as far to say the DCP loves the cavaliers, because the cavaliers are too good for that (and dcp never unconditionally loves a 'good' corps *see exhibit A - troopers*), that said, this would be a bigger deal if something about the cadets staff had been posted on hop's blog. Now, just because we have to go through that kind of crap doesnt mean I think everyone should sink to the lowest common denominator, but it wouldnt surprise me if people did anyway...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you all are missing the real major concern here......

Why would anyone after 1936 name their child Adolph? :rolleyes:

Thank you....tip your waitress..

True story: During World War II, there was an U.S Amy drill sergeant who's real name was Adolph Hitler. He was asked by a major magazijne (Life, Look...I don't remember which) if he had thought about changing his name. His reply was brilliant: "Let the other fellow change HIS name."

But I find this to be a problem with most corps.

Yup, there was a Cadets news release a while back that I found particularly cringeworthy, but as you say, it seems to be a fairly widespread problem and not limited to just one corps. I think the powers that be need to remember that there's news that should be delivered internally, and news that should be delivered publicly, and the way they're delivered is not the same at all.

Still, as Mike said, we'll yak about this in the off-season because we have nothing better to do. Will it be an issue in the upcoming season? Probably not.

I wont go as far to say the DCP loves the cavaliers, because the cavaliers are too good for that (and dcp never unconditionally loves a 'good' corps *see exhibit A - troopers*), that said, this would be a bigger deal if something about the cadets staff had been posted on hop's blog. Now, just because we have to go through that kind of crap doesnt mean I think everyone should sink to the lowest common denominator, but it wouldnt surprise me if people did anyway...

Excellent point and I can see how in relation they are sort of "loved" just flat out saying "DCP loves the Cavaliers" is laughable.

I stand by my former comments.

This is evidence in the furthering chinks in the Cavies armour since Fiedler left suddenly...as I remember it...because he was going to take a break from drum corps...and then showed up out west.

This is somewhat the same issues faced by another Midwest corps after a longtime leader left. There are some significant differences...Fiedler left the Cavies at or near the top.

Bruno was then in charge and the corps held ground pretty well overall. But, the healthy clash between the the bleeding edge and a more traditional style was over. That's the way I always thought of the Cavies. Jeff and crew pushing the envelope and Mr. Warren, et. al, slapping them back into play when Stravinski looked like an orgy on the field.

Like I said...I felt the shaping of the corps back in the late 90s gave us the most impressive consistent streaks of amazing creativity through most of this decade.

Fiedler is out west now. Replacing the vacuum was overall successful, but now, the corps is reaching back into its history for the next in line to lead. And, I don't agree necessarily that this is the right direction for the corps, but, it's not my corps. I wish them great success and I hope they continue to push against themselves "old and new" "tradition versus innovation" because in my mind this was significant in making the Cavies such a great corps for this decade.

We shall see.

I stand by my former comments.

This is evidence in the furthering chinks in the Cavies armour since Fiedler left suddenly...as I remember it...because he was going to take a break from drum corps...and then showed up out west.

I have spoken with Jeff personally about this and I believe him when he tells me the following:

He had gotten burned out after dedicating almost every one of his prior 35 years to The Cavaliers, going back to his involvement as a marcher with the Cavalier Cadets, a marcher with Cavaliers, a visual tech, a member of the management and 17 years as director. It was no longer fun. He didn't know what he was going to do, but he needed to do something different and do so in time for the corps to move forward prior to the season. The SCV position was not yet created. When SCV learned of Jeff's availability, the wheels started to turn and the idea to create the new position was bantered about. Jeff was approached about it and was intrigued by it, thinking a change of venue might do him good and would keep him involved with the activity he knew and loved most of his life.

Jeff came to the Cavaliers Alumni Corps camp the day before flying out to California for the official announcement. He told a few people and asked them to keep it under their hats until SCV could make the official announcement. They obliged. On Sunday, the members of CAC were discussing the events and everyone I heard was happy for Jeff and even happier for SCV. There has long been a great amount of respect for SCV among the Cavaliers organization, going back to the mutual respect between Don Warren and Gail Royer. All thought the same thing, that it was good for the activity that Jeff landed somewhere, even if he didn't expect to land somewhere.

Jeff showing up in California was not pre-meditated. But it worked out well for him and for the entire activity and especially for the SCV organization. His batteries are recharged.

sooooo if DCP loves Cavaliers..... Does that mean DCP loves Carolina Crown too? :rolleyes: but I agree with previously posted above that the staff change wont be a really big challenge for the corps itself. Though I personally think as long as new staff members get along and have enough time together before the tour I think any corps will have a good season regardless of change, if that makes sense. Now personally I believe its time to talk about some BD staff changes... who sits in chairs anyways? :worthy:

Now personally I believe its time to talk about some BD staff changes... who sits in chairs anyways? :rolleyes:

I'll take a stab at that.

Gold medalists who win a majority of captions, some with perfect scores?

I don't know; I'm sure they have just as many issues as others. They just typically deal with it 'in house,' and those on the inside just to a great job of not spreading gossip or problems publicly.

Three words:

All........

MALE.......

corps.....

I jest....sorta

M

Or what goes around comes around. Sort of like having a Bush and a Clinton on the ballot the past two elections.

Does that mean the cadets will like play west side story again?