Cavaliers name new director

I dont know anything about this guy, but will that mean cavies hornline will play louder?

See 1987!

1986 --- sops were getting better

1988 Firebird

1989 Gloria

etc etc etc

I'm hoping for some 87 meat and stones to return to the forefront .. but my best guess is that Adolph will put together a great team by solidifying what is already there .. and reinforcing with some stellar adds. In doing so, the current show design formula will remain intact ..... and I look forward to some tweaks in 2011 and beyond that brings back the power.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True story: During World War II, there was an U.S Amy drill sergeant who's real name was Adolph Hitler. He was asked by a major magazijne (Life, Look...I don't remember which) if he had thought about changing his name. His reply was brilliant: "Let the other fellow change HIS name."

Sounds like Office Space- "Why should I change my name? He's the one that sucks!"

Does that mean the cadets will like play west side story again?

Yes, but we'll all be around ten years older as they typically done it once each decades since the musical came out. And each time it was totally different.

http://www.cavaliers.org/cgi-bin/news.pl?c...tory&id=899

One would think that if something was awry, there'd be turnover in the design staff. And there was none (Casella had already announced he was leaving).

I agree. Good point.

For those of you who havent figured it out based on above posts:

The Cavaliers announced their 2010 design team today. The ONLY change was the addition of Mike McIntosh (which btw is a great addition, with much experience in the organization)...so it appears we should expect more great things from the green machine in 2010!!! Good Luck Men.

Edited by GREENBLUE

It's kind of an odd way to announce this. For most of us (outsiders), all we know is that some staff have moved on, which happens with all organizations from time to time.

The announcement alludes to internal problems and acrimony among staff/BOD that makes fans on the outside wonder what's going on.

Probably would have been better to just issue a positive press release that "I'm coming back and we're building a great team," etc.

If that is the case, then it is a poor reflection on the new (old) director's ability to grasp the power of a web site as a corps vehicle for information flow.

This would NEVER have happend under the Jeff Fiedler regime.

The mid-to-late 80's Cavaliers shows are my favorites of theirs, and some of my favorite of all time (plus 1991 and 1992). Adolph did a sensational job of bringing this corps along. By 1990 the corps struck me as somewhat arrogant, the possible result, I suppose, of going from underdog to knocking on the door of a championship. In 1991 Jeff Fiedler took over and the corps and I perceived a corps with a cooler image. It was my impression that Jeff instilled this in the corps and made it an appealing element of the Cavaliers going forward. Jeff was a young, bright visionary for a new time. Adolph was from a different era -- one in which I think the competition and business of junior drum corps often became more about personal things. Perhaps Adolph still retains some of the old ways from those times. I agree that the announcement was awkwardly put and that it's something Jeff Fiedler wouldn't have done. It was as if it was gentlemanly on one hand, but with an unnecessary sort of bluster (see 1990 corps, above). The message made the possibility of internal problems conspicuous through a stated intention to be inconspicuous. That can never work. Having said all of that, I reiterate my admiration for Adolph's past contributions and look for more great things to come from this legendary organization.

Sort of like having a Bush and a Clinton on the ballot the past two elections.

There was a Clinton on the ballot in November?

Brilliant Question!

Is it pronounced Add-olf or Aid-olf?

Inquiring minds want to know...