President suggests longer school sessions for students

Ahh how quickly we forget. Just about a year ago, I remember how people were saying that kids in drum corps aren't considered "students"....while I agree with you that drum corps is a HUGE part of music education, seems like being a student in drum corps can be implied when it's convenient.

I would consider drum corps part of education so maybe if they extend the school year, they could include drum corps as part of it.

Absolutely correct sir!

As many have already suggested, the american public school system is broken and lags because it has no vision. It doesn't recognize the intuitive thinker, the very type minds that made America great! Music and the arts (along with other creative curriculum) help young people explore their creativity and build their intuitive skills. The current public school curriculum chases what it thinks are market and job trends and puts too much credence in math, science & english subjects. These subjects merely strengthen memory and memory is not creativity.

We'll continue to miss the mark if we continue to judge aptitude on the memory sciences and squeeze our youth through this very narrow non-creative funnel.

Music as a major should be considered in elementary level schools and those with a desire and aptitude should be surrounded by subjects that have a music and organization focus. These same students can then move into a music & marching band program, then matriculate (if you will) to a drum corps program that is as highly held as any summer continuing education program. In other words, its a graduation program and its "part of their education" (2000Cadets). Good for the students, goods for Drum Corps and very good for the American culture.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how after requests after requests people still post primarily political stuff on here. There is plenty to talk about on the drum corps/music side of things. Hope this topic doesn't get closed could it could spark some interesting drum corps conversation..

Would year-round schooling be a gateway to a scholastic division in DCI? Not trying to characterize this as necessarily a good or bad thing, but with school in session year-round, might some schools choose to field a summer program and compete regionally on weekends in the DCI circuit?

I like how after requests after requests people still post primarily political stuff on here. There is plenty to talk about on the drum corps/music side of things. Hope this topic doesn't get closed could it could spark some interesting drum corps conversation..

When a political figure proposes a political decision, the debate over it is inherently political. Especially when the answer to 'could this have an effect on drum corps is "obviously", which leads to the discussion of whether it is a good decision and why and what else could be done.

Also, just because you start a thread, doesnt mean you own it (referring to the OP here). And you cant just decide that the debate on a subject has to go YOUR way, especially when that debate has many facets.

Would year-round schooling be a gateway to a scholastic division in DCI? Not trying to characterize this as necessarily a good or bad thing, but with school in session year-round, might some schools choose to field a summer program and compete regionally on weekends in the DCI circuit?

Wouldn't be a bad idea but how would it be set up?

Would area corps (say all of the Elmira-Corning area or all of the Triangle area here) be set up prettymuch as all-star teams for the area band students and potentially college students in the area, or would it be more an extension of the marching programs at individual schools?

If it takes the area corps setup would one of the local band directors be corps director or would someone outside of the band director community in the area have to be brought in to avoid having accusations of favoritism, whether valid or completely invalid?

How difficult would it be to coordinate all the year round programs participating in this in order to have these groups participate in DCI championships?

Wouldn't be a bad idea but how would it be set up?

Would area corps (say all of the Elmira-Corning area or all of the Triangle area here) be set up prettymuch as all-star teams for the area band students and potentially college students in the area, or would it be more an extension of the marching programs at individual schools?

If it takes the area corps setup would one of the local band directors be corps director or would someone outside of the band director community in the area have to be brought in to avoid having accusations of favoritism, whether valid or completely invalid?

How difficult would it be to coordinate all the year round programs participating in this in order to have these groups participate in DCI championships?

Maybe more like WGI, with a high school division and a world class division. Could be interesting, and would almost certainly lead to more corps participating every summer. Who knows, more is better, right??

When a political figure proposes a political decision, the debate over it is inherently political. Especially when the answer to 'could this have an effect on drum corps is "obviously", which leads to the discussion of whether it is a good decision and why and what else could be done.

Also, just because you start a thread, doesnt mean you own it (referring to the OP here). And you cant just decide that the debate on a subject has to go YOUR way, especially when that debate has many facets.

I don't claim to own it, but I tried setting parameters because I knew if it turned political the mods would close it down.

I started the thread with a desired direction because that's what I was interested in gauging. Anyone wishing the debate to go in an entirely different direction is more than welcomed to start their own thread. But they should do so with the knowledge that if it is started with the purpose of discussing the more political elements, it will probably get closed.

I'm interested in a discussion of the outcome/impact of such a decision, and yes, I think OPs have the right to decide how a specific thread should be directed when they create it, especially if the intent is to gauge opinion of a specific element of the subject matter. Not setting parameters in this case would make the subject unwieldy.

POLITICSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyone out there who attends school in a year round school district and still marched corps? Is it even possible?