Plymouth MA Alumni Reunion Concert

That can't be true?!!? :tongue:

Safe trip everyone! Wave as you go thru Westport tomorrow. :tongue:

Latest forecast on the local television newscast this morning....I don't believe it either, but I'll take it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Plymouth Rock an actual town, or are you referring to the actual rock and plaque I saw in the 70's that was on the side of the road next to the water?

Plymouth is the town ... Plymouth Rock is the actual rock, passed down through the generations, from where the Pilgrims landed in 1620 ...

:-)

Andy "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" Lisko

Heading down to Plymouth today.

Should be a great show.

Good Luck to All!

but you told me it was a kidney stone you passed Andy........

Plymouth is the town ... Plymouth Rock is the actual rock, passed down through the generations, from where the Pilgrims landed in 1620 ...

:-)

Andy "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night" Lisko

Any reviews of the Plymouth Show?

It seemed to be one of the better show they've had there.

thanks,

Steve

Well since the Lancers can't compete in size (or volume :rolleyes: ) with the bigger corps we've decided to have a "variety is the spice of life" type show. Will have a Latin style number "Aztec Fire", patriotic "Stars and Strips Forever" (not quite the usual arrangement IMO), rock style "Get It On", plus "Georgia On My Mind" fanfare, "You'll Never Walk Alone" (signature song) and drum solo. Hoping the crowd comes away with the idea, "Hey they can do a lot of different stuff... Whoever they are :rolleyes: ". No problem with having a known sound and style. We just were never that well known. :tongue: All kidding aside, being at Plymouth is a BIG step for the corps. We're taking it very seriously and looking forward to it. :thumbup:

Obviously you did take it seriously and should be proud. The balance, dynamics, tempo, articulation were all there. Hanover had zero problem with volume or numbers. Hate to tell you but you are one of the bigger corps. The music passages were very well defined with accurate rhythms, the players were very alert and musical ideas were communicated and understood. Hanover, RCA was yesteryear, in the alumni circuit today you can put on a show as worthy as anyone. The audience loved it. The green uniforms and bright black plumes sparkled. The formation you chose to play in was well dressed and effective for the venue. No other corps did a better job (IMO) of taking into consideration the setting and adjusting the show, especially for this being the first time there. You did not overblow, I could hear definition. I heard quality. If you had set up "Never Walk Alone" with a dedication and had not executed it that would have been... not good, but it was beautiful and appreciated. After the show one thing that kept running through my head was the descending stepwise melody line in "Get it On" which I believe was split between sections... it just rolled out without strain or tension, each attack was on time and played as an ensemble, it is still playing in my head. In a room such as this volume past a certain point only causes inability to hear definition. Hanover was loud, however, it was a good quality loud, a balanced, well supported, musical loud that contrasted with the many different dynamics you employed rapidly in your routine. This corps should be seen and heard more. Im sure it can be even better as you improve as individuals those things which escaped audience members who there to enjoy, not to judge. Well done.

Obviously you did take it seriously and should be proud. The balance, dynamics, tempo, articulation were all there. Hanover had zero problem with volume or numbers. Hate to tell you but you are one of the bigger corps. The music passages were very well defined with accurate rhythms, the players were very alert and musical ideas were communicated and understood. Hanover, RCA was yesteryear, in the alumni circuit today you can put on a show as worthy as anyone. The audience loved it. The green uniforms and bright black plumes sparkled. The formation you chose to play in was well dressed and effective for the venue. No other corps did a better job (IMO) of taking into consideration the setting and adjusting the show, especially for this being the first time there. You did not overblow, I could hear definition. I heard quality. If you had set up "Never Walk Alone" with a dedication and had not executed it that would have been... not good, but it was beautiful and appreciated. After the show one thing that kept running through my head was the descending stepwise melody line in "Get it On" which I believe was split between sections... it just rolled out without strain or tension, each attack was on time and played as an ensemble, it is still playing in my head. In a room such as this volume past a certain point only causes inability to hear definition. Hanover was loud, however, it was a good quality loud, a balanced, well supported, musical loud that contrasted with the many different dynamics you employed rapidly in your routine. This corps should be seen and heard more. Im sure it can be even better as you improve as individuals those things which escaped audience members who there to enjoy, not to judge. Well done.

I agree with everything you just said about Hanover .They did a great job. I was in the tunnel with St. Kevins .We were on next & digging "Get it On" ,very smooth job by the Lancers ! Glad you guys came to the show. Keep up the good work !!

All the Best,

Mike, D.

Thank you BG and Mike for the kind words. And thanks BeinGreen for the lengthy review, hope you don't mind that I will send to corps management for their use. Not knowing what to expect many of us were surprised by the audience reaction and what the corps accomplished. Have attended and been in the Harrisburg Forum (Serenade in Brass) show many time but seems the Plymouth crowd was more alive than many of the Forum crowds. Too bad I didn't take the opportunity to watch the rest of the show as I only caught the last half of Blessed Sacs show as we set up. General feeling on my bus coming back was we had a big unknown opportunity and we worked extra hard the last few months to meet it. Of course the next step, as voiced by a long time contra player was "Well now we gotta be even better next time and not get too happy and slack off".

And Mike thanks again for the picture. Have it now and will scan and send to the corps so it can be emailed to the members. Sorry I missed you at the show but glad that "Hokie" was the guy you handed it to. Hokie is our earliest member (1952) and was with the corps before they even adopted the Lancers name. Just made his night that he saw that pic. We spent some time looking at it and he was showing me current members in the pic. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

A bump and some American Section love...

click below for a nice video from The America's Hometown Thanksgiving Celebration's YouTube channel of the Friday night concert's opening ceremonies - featuring Angella Kronillis singing God Bless America framed by the Color Guard Sections of the Saturday night concert's drum corps.