Madison Scouts Audition Process & Tuition

Whoa. Hang on. You have to pay money to march drum corps? I am shocked.

Whats even more shocking is that some of the money you pay goes towards paying the people that take the time to teach you. I dont know what the hell this is madison, but it aint drum corps. RAWR!!! :satisfied:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video, THEN callback idea seems like a good one to me. Saves most people the cost of traveling all the way out just to find out its a "no". Saves everyone time and effort that could very well be put into making another corps (eg: their 2nd choice.) or in the staff's case, training the people who have serious potential to get a spot.

One thing I really hope they do to people who don't make it is give them a list of other corps to check out. We talk about how we think people who get cut from their dream corps should go march somewhere else, but sometimes, those people don't know where else to look. When I got cut from my audition at The Cavaliers back in 2006 (for the '07 season), Jeff Fiedler e-mailed me a list of other corps to check out based on how I did at my audition. I wound up marching at one of those corps for two years. I think it'd be really helpful if Madison (as well as pretty much all corps) did this.

(1) Their cost is still lower than many and not out of line.....

(2) The level of instructional staff they have assembled is unparalleled.....

(3) An initial video audition saves time and money for both the member and the corps/staff, and is

becoming more and more commonplace.......in the long run, it may be a bit more humane, too,

as you (a) don't string anyone along who isn't going to be able to cut it, and (b) the "cut" is obviously

as private as it gets.....

I don't see anything at all out of line here.

GB

I disagree with point 2.

Teal Sound's tuition is 2800. Cavaliers is around 2200, I think. This is nothing new or shocking.

It's not the tuition that's shocking or surprising. That's a given that it's expensive, we all know that. It's the point that they make that you have to send in an audition video to even get a call back to come to Madison for a camp evaluation. There's pros and cons for both sides, but I see more cons towards the video call back, in my opinion.

Whoever has marched Scouts prior to the 2010 season, what were the tour fees? I'm betting that they did get bumped because of the new staff. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, because I'd love to have a killer staff, too. But I'm just curious if it was raised specifically to pay for the new staff. Anyone who can tell me the facts about that, please do so. I'm very interested.

I disagree with point 2.

:satisfied: