Woodwind Transition

Hi Everyone,

I am a senior in high school and am in the middle of my 4th year of marching band. I would really love to march corps, but there is one major obstacle in my way...

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

My question for everyone is: What instrument would be easiest to transition to from saxophone?

No, I have never played brass before.

My director suggested Baritone, others have suggested Mello.

Any input will help.

Thanks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

I am a senior in high school and am in the middle of my 4th year of marching band. I would really love to march corps, but there is one major obstacle in my way...

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

My question for everyone is: What instrument would be easiest to transition to from saxophone?

Any input will help.

Thanks.

Baritone....nothing else comes close. High Brass is tough, and most corps have higher audition numbers for those spots. Tuba is possible, but still tough. Most corps need tuba players, so you never know

Hi Everyone,

I PLAY SAXOPHONE.

Any input will help.

Thanks.

alto? tenor? bari?

the instrument tonally...bari sax is close to a euph in tonality, tenor sax is bari to mello....alto sax is definitely a mello...maybe 3rd trumpet.

but that's only the sound. Get a brass mouthpiece and start buzzing. If you haven't ever played a brass instrument you are most likely at least a year away from a World Class brass line...open class would be a better option if you are in the learning stages.

Alto.

I intend on marching a World Class Corps in 2011...I think it is a bit too late for this season since auditions are in a month and a half.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Baritone no question. Baritone and sax are the closest embouchures between the brass and woodwind families. We had at least 3 or 4 sax players in our bari line over the past couple of years.

Baritone..

Easiest to build the "musles" needed (doesnt take as much muscle in the mouth)

Yes it is heav...oh well..

There are 12 mellophones on average...and they are trumpet and french horn players so it is hard to optain a spot sometimes...

there are 24 baritones on average.. hmmmmm

We always have bari holes before we have mello holes.

Again like everyone else said, Baritone. Are you close to an all-age or Open Class corps? You could probably march an All-Age corps or Open Class to get some experience at Baritone then go and march World Class in 2011.