Should DCI and DCA Join Forces

Should DCA and DCI Merge  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that DCI and DCA should join forces?

• Yes
    • No

Why would I leave DCA now in anticipation of something that may or may not happen in the future? By using that logic why don't you leave DCI now because woodwinds are going to happen. And to answer your first question, when and if DCA does get electronics I will leave.

Just because someone enjoys one style over another (in any activity) doesn't mean I want one or the other to fail, I'm just not going to participate in the one I no longer enjoy. And before you shoot off random comments why don't you READ the entire post. Don't accuse me of saying that just because they cooperate or merge it would happen, I said IF DCA had to adopt DCI rules.

It is funny that the DCI supporters are the most defensive on this issue. Maybe they realize that in the long run DCI needs DCA more than DCA needs DCI??

Why do you think that last statement? Outside of the Northeast where DCA has a full slate of shows, DCA corps need DCI shows to perform at far more than DCI needs DCA.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem is the economies of scale will hurt the DCA corps and the show hosts. What's to say now that DCA corps cant get lists or that DCI corps dont provide them?

DCI ought to first try and get more cuts to join Open class corps before all-age. However, I am a little leery of World Class providing lists like that to any other corps, unless the auditioner had agreed to having his or her name distributed. They might put a checkbox on an application to agree to such amove...in that case..not a prob!

Only one I know of is BD. Their last 990 I saw had an income over $4M.

but they also run 3 corps

DCI ought to first try and get more cuts to join Open class corps before all-age. However, I am a little leery of World Class providing lists like that to any other corps, unless the auditioner had agreed to having his or her name distributed. They might put a checkbox on an application to agree to such amove...in that case..not a prob!

i agree on the permission and to giving it to open class first as well.

I don't believe it necessary for either to change their beliefs and functionality, the World Class and Open Class of Drum Corps International function separately, but work towards the common good. Adding the All Age element into the big picture would truely make Drum Corps International, Marching Musics Major League. It's difficult to claim that if a third of the activity is functioning outside the bubble.

Drum Corps isn't growing because as an activity it's fragmented.

My opinion.

Yes. I don't recall A.J. Wright, or Yamaha, or Dynasty, or....any sponsor being forced to choose between DCA and DCI. Not all leagues play that nicely together.

What would you call this, then?

DCI.org article promoting upcoming DCA Championships

....yes, but drum corps, marching band and winter guard seasons all occur at separate times. DCI and DCA literally share judges on the same calendar days.

I'm sorry - I can't name one. I'll have to name 96 just in the past five years. :laugh:

YEAR DATE LOCAT

2005 6/18 Pleasant Hill, CA

2005 6/19 Modesto, CA

2005 6/25 Riverside, CA

2005 6/26 Westlake Village, CA

2005 7/01 Stockton, CA

2005 7/02 San Jose, CA

2005 7/08 San Diego, CA

2005 7/09 Walnut, CA

2005 7/16 Sunnyvale, CA

2005 7/17 Sacramento, CA

2006 6/17 Coon Rapids, MN

2006 6/17 Hayward, CA

2006 6/18 Menomonie, WI

2006 6/18 Modesto, CA

2006 6/23 San Diego, CA

2006 6/24 Walnut, CA

2006 6/25 Riverside, CA

2006 6/30 Pleasant Hill, CA

2006 7/01 Stockton, CA

2006 7/08 Indianapolis, IN

2006 7/08 Newbury Park, CA

2006 7/09 Bellflower, CA

2006 7/10 Stilllwater, MN

2006 7/11 Mankato, MN

2006 7/14 Sacramento, CA

2006 7/15 Sunnyvale, CA

2006 7/26 Modesto, CA

2006 7/28 Riverside, CA

2006 7/29 Atlanta, GA

2007 6/16 Coon Rapids, MN

2007 6/16 Pleasant Hill, CA

2007 6/17 Menomonie, WI

2007 6/17 Stockton, CA

2007 6/22 Racine, WI

2007 6/22 Riverside, CA

2007 6/23 Alpharetta, GA

2007 6/23 Rockford, IL

2007 6/23 Walnut, CA

2007 6/24 Lisle, IL

2007 6/29 Elk Grove, CA

2007 6/29 Madison, WI

2007 6/30 Kalamazoo, MI

2007 6/30 La Crosse, WI

2007 6/30 Mankato, MN

2007 6/30 Sunnyvale, CA

2007 7/01 Modesto, CA

2007 7/01 Stillwater, MN

2007 7/07 Eau Claire, WI

2007 7/13 Traverse City, MI

2007 7/14 Atlanta, GA

2007 7/14 Long Beach, CA

2007 7/15 Calabasas, CA

2007 7/15 Jacksonville, AL

2007 7/19 Dallas, TX

2007 7/19 Houston, TX

2007 7/22 Denton, TX

2007 7/22 Wilmot, WI

2007 8/03 Modesto, CA

2008 6/22 Stillwater, MN

2008 6/22 Stockton, CA

2008 6/23 Mankato, MN

2008 6/27 Racine, WI

2008 6/28 Madison, WI

2008 6/28 Walnut, CA

2008 6/29 Coon Rapids, MN

2008 6/29 Riverside, CA

2008 7/01 Richmond, KY

2008 7/05 Stanford, CA

2008 7/10 Milton, GA

2008 7/12 Long Beach, CA

2008 7/13 West Covina, CA

2008 7/17 Dallas, TX

2008 7/17 Houston, TX

2008 7/19 Gilroy, CA

2008 7/20 Denton, TX

2008 7/20 Fremont, CA

2008 7/27 Jacksonville, AL

2008 8/01 McKenzie, TN

2009 6/20 Stillwater, MN

2009 6/20 Walnut, CA

2009 6/21 Riverside, CA

2009 6/22 Mankato, MN

2009 6/27 Stanford, CA

2009 6/28 Madison, WI

2009 6/28 Stockton, CA

2009 7/05 Vista, CA

2009 7/07 Kingsport, TN

2009 7/09 Columbia, SC

2009 7/10 Valdosta, GA

2009 7/11 Long Beach, CA

2009 7/12 Los Angeles, CA

2009 7/18 San Jose, CA

2009 7/19 Denton, TX

2009 7/19 Dublin, CA

2009 7/24 Murfreesboro, TN

2009 7/25 Atlanta, GA

In earlier years, the Hershey, PA, show was a joint DCI/DCA contest on at least 10 occasions. A DCA contest was included as part of DCI's championship week events in 1999 and 2001. Then there was the Dream Contest throughout most of the 1970s and 1980s, and in it's revival around the turn of the millenium....that's over a dozen more combined DCI/DCA contests. Lynn, MA had a similar event in the late '70s (think it was called the Boston Cup), and there were probably a dozen more in various locations....but I think I've made my point.

Why not ask DCI that question ???? Why not ask DCA that question ???

Well, for one thing, I just thought up the idea today. :worthy:

I never said there were no shared purchasing needs. However, since neither DCI nor DCA is bulk-purchasing any of those items for their corps now, I would surmise that there is a reason the idea hasn't caught on.

Nevertheless, there is no reason DCI and DCA couldn't work out a joint purchasing deal. Merging the two circuits would not be necessary to achieve that goal.

------------

Hey Jeff look - - we have a joint circuit already and we didn't even know it.......................

drum corps will never prosper and never has prospered. It is a niche activity (small in comparison) to another niche activity that is notices twice a year on tv...Thanksgiving and New Year's Day and is mostly known for parades than for field shows. Most people go to the bathroom or get a hot dog when the band performs.

Getting it yet?

---------

Niche activity - - really, think you better talk to some of the older drum corps folks on this forum..... there was a time and a place where every vfw hall, every town had a drum corps, was nearby a drum corps........

It became a niche activity because of the changing times and it has developed to those that can afford to do it in both time and money........

In earlier years, the Hershey, PA, show was a joint DCI/DCA contest on at least 10 occasions. A DCA contest was included as part of DCI's championship week events in 1999 and 2001. Then there was the Dream Contest throughout most of the 1970s and 1980s, and in it's revival around the turn of the millenium....that's over a dozen more combined DCI/DCA contests. Lynn, MA had a similar event in the late '70s (think it was called the Boston Cup), and there were probably a dozen more in various locations....but I think I've made my point.

Yep and when the Hershey show got cancelled by the owners of the stadium thee was a nice little court case over it. Member of the DCA board testified as he was a member of the group trying to put on the show. Dan Atchinson also testified over the phone saying how important this combined show was to the DCI corps. Well it was important because of the size of the stadium. :laugh: Too bad there isn't a pic of the retreat ceremonies with the DCA and DCI corps on the field together.

On the individual corps level there used to be a lot of spring concerts that had Senior and Junior corps together. When I marched Westshoremen (Sr), Reading (Sr) and Crossmen (Jr) would perform at each others show for a number of years. Westshoremens concert in the Forum had Crossmen for many years because WSMs BusMgr Larry Hershman had connections to Bluecoats. Hershman then worked for Bluecoats and now is DCA VP. Yeah guess there are some ties between the circuits.

OK, you have me perplexed.

Why is no amount of cooperation between DCI and DCA satisfactory to you? Why is a merger the only answer? You've been discussing this for some time without explaining this.

Perhaps I'd understand you better if you elaborated. In your view, how would this DCI/DCA merger be structured? Who would be the voting member corps, and how would that be determined from year to year? Who would be on the working board of directors? How would money be distributed?

----------------------

Why is no amount of cooperation between DCI and DCA satisfactory to you?

Because I would much rather listen to the biddies argue about who's fault it is that both activities died, then try and prevent the death beforehand...... Plus we need to keep up the postings on this thread too..... gotta think of the larger picture you know.

it may not...but fans dont go to see what they dont like in all areas of entertainment. Remember Ishtar? total bomb...people didnt go see it.

I'd rather not see either die, but it's become quite clear no matter what any of us say on DCP, DCI is going to do what DCI does. They're not open to suggestions...if so, no amps, no synths, no domes...hell go back 10 years and no Bb brass.

You can lead the horse to the water my friend, but you can not make them drink it. DCA has done an awesome job of recreating themselves from a tiny NE only circuit in the last 10 years to a slowly but surely growing national organization.....that serves their types of units. They are not set up to handle DCI corps nor should they be.

DCI, has moved to the direction they wish to go in, wether anyone likes it or not. The directors there, which run DCI, have chosen that path, and I can guarantee you they will not be open to this merger, because to them, the future is in aligning with bands, be it MENC or BOA. For them, that is their chosen path, and merging with DCA will only hurt DCA...two totally different types of groups with toallt different needs.

cooperation between the two is great, and I am sure we will see more and more of it, solely because of the fact we have seen a little more every year. But a merger is the worst possible thing...no matter how much sense it may make to you, from a bsuiness standpoint, it will not work. you claim they are similar...and to a point they are, but they are also vastly different based on their customers ( the corps) needs.

Your bias is the entire story here.