The history of the Westshoremen

I just laugh when I think about it...... I gave my heart and sole to Westshore and they will always be family. In 84 when the corp was going down hill quick I was at every board meeting helping put ideas on the table. I knew that I only had a couple years left to march and night and day my life consisted of Westshore. That day when we went to Danville I had NO INTENTION of joining Reading but when we all talked I realized that hey this may be a great chance to finish out what I consider the best years of my life. I had some great friends that went there with me (Ben, Steve, Kelly, Morgan, etc) and that made it easier. While a lot of people may have been upset about what we did it was us who had to deal with it to. I had A LOT of people in Reading that did not accept me at first. It took them awhile to realize just how dedicated I was to helping them. It was different but the group hung together and in the meantime made some great new friends. Just like in my career now I can look back and say this mgr really helped me get where I am today. Watching the likes of one of the greatest drum instructors ever (Robbie Robinson) and his assts helped me when i left drum corp and started teaching for the next 10 years. I look back on all the kids that I helped (hopefully in a good way) and it was worth every single momement. Heck this was 25 years ago and to this day I can say that I keep in touch with a ton of people from my days in Westshore (they are always family) and I keep in touch with friends i made in Reading. When i look at lot of the personal issues that have come up in my life throughout the years it was these friends that were there for me. I remember when I cut my hand real bad it was Shelly from Reading who came right down to hbg. When I went through my divorce it was Shelly who was there for me night and day to listen. And heck god knows I rambled so much throughout the years to the best friend anyone could have Mr. Rook that he lost his hair :). And Ben and myself while we don't see each other as much now that I'm in Ohio have been through a lot as friends. Ha... see this is a topic i could ramble on for hours about but won't.... All I'll say is for the people that had issues with me or anyone else leaving get over it... I put 8 hard and dedicated years into Westshore and they will always be my family. If i had to agree with my biological family all the time man would i be screwed :)... OK enough over and out :)

Paging BigW, paging BigW, please continue with 1982 ASAP!!

Wow.... nice to see this dysfunctional stuff happens in other corps, too. LOL.

Sun had a rep for quite some time of ...shall we say..... not exactly having a warm and fuzzy feeling regarding people who had left Sun to go to other corps.... one corps in particular.

It wasn't everyone in Sun who felt that way..... but those who did tended to make their feelings known, loudly.

There are flies in ointments everywhere in drum corps, it seems.

Anyone give my old buddy George (Oscar I think you called him) any crap! :smile:

I just laugh when I think about it...... I gave my heart and sole to Westshore and they will always be family. In 84 when the corp was going down hill quick I was at every board meeting helping put ideas on the table. I knew that I only had a couple years left to march and night and day my life consisted of Westshore. That day when we went to Danville I had NO INTENTION of joining Reading but when we all talked I realized that hey this may be a great chance to finish out what I consider the best years of my life. I had some great friends that went there with me (Ben, Steve, Kelly, Morgan, etc) and that made it easier. While a lot of people may have been upset about what we did it was us who had to deal with it to. I had A LOT of people in Reading that did not accept me at first. It took them awhile to realize just how dedicated I was to helping them. It was different but the group hung together and in the meantime made some great new friends. Just like in my career now I can look back and say this mgr really helped me get where I am today. Watching the likes of one of the greatest drum instructors ever (Robbie Robinson) and his assts helped me when i left drum corp and started teaching for the next 10 years. I look back on all the kids that I helped (hopefully in a good way) and it was worth every single momement. Heck this was 25 years ago and to this day I can say that I keep in touch with a ton of people from my days in Westshore (they are always family) and I keep in touch with friends i made in Reading. When i look at lot of the personal issues that have come up in my life throughout the years it was these friends that were there for me. I remember when I cut my hand real bad it was Shelly from Reading who came right down to hbg. When I went through my divorce it was Shelly who was there for me night and day to listen. And heck god knows I rambled so much throughout the years to the best friend anyone could have Mr. Rook that he lost his hair :). And Ben and myself while we don't see each other as much now that I'm in Ohio have been through a lot as friends. Ha... see this is a topic i could ramble on for hours about but won't.... All I'll say is for the people that had issues with me or anyone else leaving get over it... I put 8 hard and dedicated years into Westshore and they will always be my family. If i had to agree with my biological family all the time man would i be screwed :)... OK enough over and out :)

Exactly...it took a little while to adjust, but after a while we were "all in" and people appreciated what we contributed since we proved ourselves!

:smile: WOW I never heard any crap from anyone when I went to Reading

my dad says after 72, no one expected the corps to come back. no one gave him #### about going to Baltimore either.

funny Robbie's name comes up.

i help train the new percussion judges for TOB, and I'm a ball buster. So I get this year's list and I see the name Rob Robinson on it.

so I email the Education Director and ask "THE Rob Robinson?" I'm told yes, and i replied "he's passed. hell he forgot more than I know"

Rook lost his hair???

Been a while since I told this one. First time Rick and I saw each other since corps was mid 1990s at a Unix (computers) Administrator class at Columbus, OH. I was walking in and started hearing a familiar voice. Then I see Rich and it was:

"Hi Rick"

"Hi Jim"

<2 second pause for reality to sink in>

"What the Hell are you doing here?" (said by both) :cool:

Best part of the Hell this class eventually led my life and career on for the next 8 years. :rolleyes:

Late 70s Emmaus Sentinels fold and couple members (Rohbachs, Drew Rosenburger, forget who else) come to Westshore. Bruce Rohrbach stays a few years and goes to Reading in 79. We're talking to a couple of Buccs at a show and Bruces mom (who is in WSM) sez "My kid is in Reading... that Son of a #####". :blink: Me thinks there was other issues here.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Rook lost his hair???

Been a while since I told this one. First time Rick and I saw each other since corps was mid 1990s at a Unix (computers) Administrator class at Columbus, OH. I was walking in and started hearing a familiar voice. Then I see Rich and it was:

"Hi Rick"

"Hi Jim"

<2 second pause for reality to sink in>

"What the Hell are you doing here?" (said by both) :blink:

Best part of the Hell this class eventually led my life and career on for the next 8 years. :cool:

Late 70s Emmaus Sentinels fold and couple members (Rohbachs, Drew Rosenburger, forget who else) come to Westshore. Bruce Rohrbach stays a few years and goes to Reading in 79. We're talking to a couple of Buccs at a show and Bruces mom (who is in WSM) sez "My kid is in Reading... that Son of a #####". :sad: Me thinks there was other issues here.

I'm telling him you said that! :rolleyes:

Heh Steve took after his Dad- it all started disappearing some time after he left Corps and Reading. Maybe all the corps started the whole mess... I know LD started my hair turning gray after my last season there. :rolleyes:

Mine never really disappeared.... I cut it off and donated it to "Locks of Love". (wigs for kids with cancer) I could grow a new crop, but I just don't want to.