The history of the Westshoremen

Plus, Sun's drum line was a machine. Always our ace in the hole.

Pretty much....that was a no brainer for YEARS!

Pretty much....that was a no brainer for YEARS!

That '82 season... our drum line kept us in the game until we learned how to march better. :tongue: Marching was our Achilles heel until late that summer.

Horn line was solid, and got better as the summer went along. Our brass staff...caption head Dennis Dewey, plus Bob Pearson and and John Arietano... was top-notch.

We had a tough winter for the horn line... low turnouts right into springtime... and thus it took us a bit to get it in gear. At one point during the winter, players from other sections were asked to volunteer to play baritone, where we were hurting for numbers. And by "numbers" I mean trying to put together more than five baris or so. LOL. At least three people volunteered to make the switch, and that helped.

That '82 season... our drum line kept us in the game until we learned how to march better. :tongue: Marching was our Achilles heel until late that summer.

Horn line was solid, and got better as the summer went along. Our brass staff...caption head Dennis Dewey, plus Bob Pearson and and John Arietano... was top-notch.

We had a tough winter for the horn line... low turnouts right into springtime... and thus it took us a bit to get it in gear. At one point during the winter, players from other sections were asked to volunteer to play baritone, where we were hurting for numbers. And by "numbers" I mean trying to put together more than five baris or so. LOL. At least three people volunteered to make the switch, and that helped.

Ours was always our weak spot...we had good sections, but never a full section that just kicked everyone's butt! The first few years it was all snare..80 we had a great timp line and bass line... 81, nothing...82 sort of half tom, half snare...83 just toms....If we ever got the whole thing on one page it would have been great! Horn line was always great!

EDIT: Just took a look at the picture....83 had a good bass line as well (except for that one hit in Love for Sale) The snare line had some slackers in it... I also took a gander at 82, and THAT snare line had some SERIOUS slackers... (didn't we try to get someone to not march...or was that 83?)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Percussion wasn't the whole issue with 1983. Morale took a hit. Some of the ringchasers really sowed discontent within the corps that we didn't have the year before. Things happened at rehearsals I'm still angry about. I'm still angry about nearly coming to blows with corpsmates at Bucknell because everyone tried to blame me for the drill problem caused by a "THIS IS MY SPOT IN THE BOOK AND I AM RIGHT" ringchaser. I'd LOVE to see that 1983 prelims video again and Iso that section in "No More Blues" so everyone can clearly see WHO it was who blew that form out the wazoo. I know that happened at Prelims again as it did at Bucknell and saw it the one time on the video when it was shown to the corps post-season. All I know is unless I'm 4 feet 11 inches tall it ain't me 2 steps out of the form, folks. Things happened on the bus that still honk me off. The bus things are traced to the one person I tried to choke to death in my sleep on the one trip.

I don't mind getting grief for my own error, I do get very offended by being blamed for someone else.

The guys from out West were GREAT! The Erie and Steel crew that came to us were always ready to do the job in the way it was meant to be done.

I'll get to that later. I've been on record saying this and I'll say this again:

That 1983 Hornline was by far the BEST hornline I played with by far. We played way out of our minds. but you know what? I had a lot more fun with the 6 week corps in 1984 that finished 15th. People treated each other right... and you can bet the ringchasers weren't interested in that effort, so they weren't there to drag us down. I have a real fondness for that group getting done what it got done.

Just curious...are there any historical accounts of anything prior to...well us all being born?!?

that I know of just what I have in the unedited article that starts this off

And that's what I've said before...if the drumline started the year on the same page as the REST of the corps, I THINK it would have been different, and possibly closer, if not WSM winning the whole she-bang. But the drum instructor was new...wasn't as acclimated as the "lead guy" as some other people have been, and wasn't a good "cleaner"... the fact that next year was a serious bust proved that we were the "weakest link"!

even in 96 this happened to a degree. when we stormed into Barnum and beat Cabs, boom we were off.....and 6 weeks later Cabs and Empire started edging closer. We made a huge change to the end of the show hershey weekend, which was July 4th when we yanked a hunk out after the Carnival drum solo then put on Blues tag. the only other real change the rest of the year was around the DCI trip we added a little bit of movement to the end of Blues tag.

that I know of just what I have in the unedited article that starts this off

Ok..was just curious if there were any other historical things.... Btw...I was bored yesterday, and I looked to see what CD's may be around... just the one on E-Bay and this was the picture...no other info...

s-l1600.jpg

Percussion wasn't the whole issue with 1983. Morale took a hit. Some of the ringchasers really sowed discontent within the corps that we didn't have the year before. Things happened at rehearsals I'm still angry about. I'm still angry about nearly coming to blows with corpsmates at Bucknell because everyone tried to blame me for the drill problem caused by a "THIS IS MY SPOT IN THE BOOK AND I AM RIGHT" ringchaser. I'd LOVE to see that 1983 prelims video again and Iso that section in "No More Blues" so everyone can clearly see WHO it was who blew that form out the wazoo. I know that happened at Prelims again as it did at Bucknell and saw it the one time on the video when it was shown to the corps post-season. All I know is unless I'm 4 feet 11 inches tall it ain't me 2 steps out of the form, folks. Things happened on the bus that still honk me off. The bus things are traced to the one person I tried to choke to death in my sleep on the one trip.

I don't mind getting grief for my own error, I do get very offended by being blamed for someone else.

The guys from out West were GREAT! The Erie and Steel crew that came to us were always ready to do the job in the way it was meant to be done.

I'll get to that later. I've been on record saying this and I'll say this again:

That 1983 Hornline was by far the BEST hornline I played with by far. We played way out of our minds. but you know what? I had a lot more fun with the 6 week corps in 1984 that finished 15th. People treated each other right... and you can bet the ringchasers weren't interested in that effort, so they weren't there to drag us down. I have a real fondness for that group getting done what it got done.

Yeah..83 DID have its issues with the ringchasers...but the drumline had its major issues because RM dropped the ball big time, and the drums were about a month behind on getting to "that level"... I also remember after getting our solid 4th in prelims, a lot of us had just a horrible attitude and decided that no matter what we did, we were getting fourth, so we did a little in between shows party, and pizzed off a few people...but we were on a "why bother"!?!? (John Bowling and I had a nasty discussion in the hallway of the hotel that ended better than it started, but I think I got him onto our side of the fence...)

And yeah, that was a great hornline! The thing is when you listen to 82 and 83, you can tell that the corps turned a corner...and I really think that if the 84 thing never happened, it would have been another good year! (although, I was burnt out, (and fed up) and wasn't coming back)

Edited by Jaminbenb

Ok..was just curious if there were any other historical things.... Btw...I was bored yesterday, and I looked to see what CD's may be around... just the one on E-Bay and this was the picture...no other info...

s-l1600.jpg

Longshoremen?