The history of the Westshoremen

depends on your era.

fat to the modern era means overly wide, not clean...take bass unisons for example...if they are not precisely clean or solid, they will have a fat sound, with a lot of tone that doesnt sound good. for snares or tenors, a fat roll means one that is very open, maybe too open, and leads the sound quality to be not as crisp

depends on your era.

fat to the modern era means overly wide, not clean...take bass unisons for example...if they are not precisely clean or solid, they will have a fat sound, with a lot of tone that doesnt sound good. for snares or tenors, a fat roll means one that is very open, maybe too open, and leads the sound quality to be not as crisp

Thanks. Now I understand where the judge was going on his commentary. Usually, a brass player wants a 'fat' sound in our vernacular, unless the music would indicate a thinner or a lighter tone or style or unless you're Miles Davis. And yeah, you can over-do that too, LOL. I know I've heard a couple guys notorious for that, can't get my finger on who, and no it's not me, LOL. Oh, yeah, Harry James was a bit too 'fat' depending on who you talk to.

also, i try to emphasize when saying it on tape it's fat with and F, not a PH for the younger crowd

I'm always looking for a fatty... :smile:

To me FAT means DEEP, THROATY, (oops...maybe those two words shouldn't be together!) BOMBASTIC...pretty much anything that gives you a nice WHUMP! Like a set snare...or an old calf skin headed drum

(and CRISPY is the opposite... like those #### falams heads cranked up to 11)

I concur with Jeff and Ben.

Where'd evvybody go? :sad:

Oh yeah forgot...

For Fathers Day my sis took dad out to Charlie Browns over in Union Deposit. Da told me later that they ran into Rob "Buckwheat" Engle at CBs. Of course dad was convinced that I knew Buckwheat in corps and don't think I ever talked to him there so go figure.

LOL, sis went to school with Buckwheat and Hoover so :sad:

Oh yeah forgot...

For Fathers Day my sis took dad out to Charlie Browns over in Union Deposit. Da told me later that they ran into Rob "Buckwheat" Engle at CBs. Of course dad was convinced that I knew Buckwheat in corps and don't think I ever talked to him there so go figure.

LOL, sis went to school with Buckwheat and Hoover so :sad:

I hear from the little bugger every so often on Facebook...we were trying to get together for a couple beers (me, him, & Hoover) around Christmastime, but we never did...I should pursue that again...I'd love to see them both!

LOL, there was a Junior show at Lower(?) Allen Jr High back in the 80s and happened to be sitting next to Hoovers sister. She saw Mark and was calling to him in a voice that was almost a whisper. I asked if I could help, stood up and screamed "HOOVER!!!!". He looked up and I pointed to his sister. Then I saw the look on her face and she was totally embarassed/mortified/pick an adjective.

Told my sister and about and she could have killed me. Turns out Marks sister was so shy she was probably flipping out that half the stadium was looking at her thanks to my big mouth. :sad:

PS - How the Hades did Buckwheat get his nickname? My sister knows him as Buckwheat but she was following Westshore at the time.

Edited by JimF-LowBari