The history of the Westshoremen

he's over in the Danger Zone, aka by Fran

• 2 weeks later...

well Ben, looks like it's just us

So now what? Meet at Tröegs and discuss 1982? :tongue:/>

Although....there seems to be a lot of photos Brother Dave has been posting on the FB site...pretty cool stuff if you ask me...especially that one of Rich at the Arthur Fiedler bridge in Boston (with the timp line in the background warming up)

Edited by Jaminbenb

yeah I saw that.

but hell, I told you guys what I know from 82. we need Dub...and I never thought I'd say that

:tongue:/>

yeah I saw that.

but hell, I told you guys what I know from 82. we need Dub...and I never thought I'd say that

:tongue:/>/>

Yeah..he came in and wanted to keep 1982 alive with some of his perspective, but what do ya do??

well finish er off

Where did we leave off? I'll just skip to the end....

Well, the end of 1982 was different... as we headed towards the end of the year (after Canada) we weren't the top dog anymore, and seemed that we had to scramble to make the last few weeks worthwhile, and keep beating Sun. One of the things that always seems to bug me no matter where I've marched, was that last few week glut of changes, pulling tough passages, adding bursts of GE to the show etc. I think that at that point in the year, we pretty much shot our "wad" and got to the point of we can't do anymore to get this done. Sun progressively got better throughout the year, and steadily rose to the occasion. I don't recall seeing them at finals (or prelims for that matter) but I had the opportunity to watch them a few times during the season, and I didn't disagree (no matter how disappointed I was) with the outcome! The interesting thing that I saw going into the next season was that there were a lot of people that said they were coming back, and they wanted to continue where we left off. But strangely it seemed like 83's corps was a different animal, and it had people that "wanted to win" but weren't the people we NEEDED to win! (no names mentioned)

I think that at that point in the year, we pretty much shot our "wad" and got to the point of we can't do anymore to get this done. Sun progressively got better throughout the year, and steadily rose to the occasion.

Ben, from a Sunriser perspective, you hit the nail on the head right there.

We had a rough winter leading up to the 1982 summer... well, at least for the horn line. I mean, 24-25 horns at some drill rehearsals not too long before the season began. At one point, the baritone line was so thin that several soprano and mellophone players volunteered to switch to bari, and they filled out the line.

Honest to God, we were just happy to be there and not be complete stumblebums at the first show in Clifton. And for most of the summer, our Achilles' heel was our marching execution.

The horn line, once the numbers got settled in under Dennis Dewey's leadership, got stronger and stronger....(I think we ended up with 42 horns at season's end... not huge, but we were always comfortable not having a big line), eventually right there with Westshore and Bucs at a given show later in the summer. Dennis was a great caption head.... one of the best teachers I've ever had in drum corps.

The color guard was really good (we had a bunch of folks from several solid winter guards in the NYC area), and the drum line... well... it was its usual monster. LOL. The drum line basically carried the corps early that season, until the horn line and marching caught up.

We worked hard... the marching got better... and we kept our foot on the gas pedal down the stretch and ended up peaking at the absolute right time. That was kind of a Sunriser tradition, to be honest... we never, ever gave up. Not even in 1980. :tongue:

Just to be clear... I am not at all saying that Westshoremen gave up late in the '82 season.

You guys were never a corps that packed it in.

Heck... 'Shore came back from the 1974 and 1984 seasons to be better than ever. Other corps might have called it a day.