The history of the Westshoremen

Hey Jeff...saw Wyoming Area's band practicing yesterday (wife was at a function across from where they were rehearsing) so when I saw them, I wandered over and caught their last run through...tiny little band, but pretty talented!

Show appears to be called "This Just In" and has snippets of spoken headlines strewn throughout their show. Was wondering if you are seeing them, or have caught them yet?

I ran out of there because 30-odd years ago I attended one of their practices, and my life changed forever (met my future wife)(yikes!) Didn't want to take any chances on life changing events again given the nature of their show!

I haven't seen them yet, I'm sure i will this week at ACC's part 1. 1 and 4 A class at CD Saturday, 1 and 3 Open at Hershey Sunday.

next week 2 and 3 A at West Shore Stadium on Saturday, 2 and 4 Open at Hershey Sunday.

Wyoming Area usually has some good stuff happening. Some of the staff has corps ties

• 3 weeks later...

some late 80's eary 90s recordings outside of championship shows going up on the Facebook page. this week I hope to connect with Dan and get tapes galore from his years as caption head.

I still need to find the EX tape from 83 finals...now where is it??

Found it....1982 Percussion EX..Bob O'Connor!

I also found 1983 GE Percussion Jim Mallen from 7/16 at the Grand Prix

O'Connor's tape sound decent, Hits a lot of stuff, but misses some blatant things!

Mallen's is mono, and ok...can't hear the corps that well

Edited by Jaminbenb

love to hear it!

Don't know if you saw the facebook page...George nelson, bus driver supreme passed away.

Also this week Sam Forney, director at Greencastle Antrim HS and Bill Ennis, former director at East penn passed away

I have to figure out a way to get them to you... I STILL think there's another tape hiding somewhere, I seem to rememberr Billy Kauffman handing me a tape after finals in 1983...

I have boxes of cassettes, in my back room, and God knows what's on them... I used to send my tape recorder with my mother whenever she went to a show, some came out nice, others came out like crap.

Yeah, saw the obit on George, what a shame, he was a great guy! He also knew where my father lived, and would stop by and say hi occasionally if he was out on the porch. I'd see my dad and he'd go "Guess who stopped by? GEORGE!! He asked about you and said to say hi!" This was in the years after I stopped seeing him at the bar, which was the Susquehanna Crab Shack...GREAT food there, too! It was funny, the first time I saw George there, I just ran in quick to grab a six, and he was sitting at the bar. I didn't notice him and he said "Valdaree Valrarah!" I looked over and we started talking, he bought me a beer, and I sat there for a while shooting the #### with him...and said where I was going, he said "go get him!" So I ran over grabbed Bowser, and we made it there occasionally to see if he was there.

Obviously being a kid and going on the busses at a young age, I knew George.

so imagine, as he pulls into Camp Hill Hs to pick up the band for our trip to Toronto in May of 1983, and he sees me getting on the bus, wearing the corps jacket Dad got for me. we chat, I sit, then he announces to the whole bus "Jeff ream can vouch for this....no matter what you try, you can't fool me or surprise me. I drive the Westshoremen". since one or two CHHS grads had been in the corps ( Doc, Dave Wightman, Lori Bower), they all knew the stories....and were dissapointed that we had a driver we couldn't jerk around LOL.

Of course we get there, and our first day is just at the hotel and an event we could wak to, George pulls me aside and says "hey....don't come to my room. I have beer, and your dad would kick my ###!"

LOL

Obviously being a kid and going on the busses at a young age, I knew George.

so imagine, as he pulls into Camp Hill Hs to pick up the band for our trip to Toronto in May of 1983, and he sees me getting on the bus, wearing the corps jacket Dad got for me. we chat, I sit, then he announces to the whole bus "Jeff ream can vouch for this....no matter what you try, you can't fool me or surprise me. I drive the Westshoremen". since one or two CHHS grads had been in the corps ( Doc, Dave Wightman, Lori Bower), they all knew the stories....and were dissapointed that we had a driver we couldn't jerk around LOL.

Of course we get there, and our first day is just at the hotel and an event we could wak to, George pulls me aside and says "hey....don't come to my room. I have beer, and your dad would kick my ###!"

LOL

I remember once we had a "substitute" driver for a trip, and it was a guy that usually drove my high school band. They pulled up at CV, and we started loading our stuff and he looks at me and goes "you're in this, too?" I said "yep!"

So the weekend goes on and it's the usual fun and frivolity...I said "see ya" to him and left it at that... The next band season comes and the first time we needed busses, and he's driving...he pulls me aside and goes "you aren't bringing beer on this bus are you?" I go "are you serious"? he said..."well you never know with some people" I said, "no, this is different" but from that point on, he was skeptical of me.

oh yeah I begged the directors to get George for future trips.

• 2 weeks later...

So what happened to Toomey? Was this a surprise, or did people know this was coming?