Why the Blue Devils should've scored higher than 99.05

You do realize that at the top level, the brass score comes down to cracked notes, right? Not something you can really hear from the box if you're that good. Everyone contending has the demand to win the Brass trophy.

Is balance included in brass? And if so then I completely disagree. Same with musicality, some of the top groups are certainly more musical than others. Now I could be stupid and that could fall in music ensemble right which is separate from brass? Either way I think it comes down to more than just cracked notes when talking about brass at that level, including repertoire which is supposed to be taken into account.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, there's just no way we can have an intelligent discussion about this. You are wrong. Stop letting a minute and a half of show time dictate what you think about a twelve minute performance.

Devs moved. A lot. If you don't see that, you're ignorant. That's all I can say.

This. All of this. This isn't opinion anymore, it's fact. I don't get how anyone can, besides jokingly, say that the Blue Devils didn't move at all in their show this year. It's simply astounding that people can make such outrageous claims, just because you don't like someone doesn't make their show easier.

Before someone quotes me with "pure bs" or something let me clarify. Saying they were boring is an opinion. You can't prove boring or not even when referring to GE. Saying they didn't much is false. Anyone with eyes can see they moved very fast at a lot of parts and did demanding (while not as demanding as others) drill.

Okay. I'm buying your argument about the virtues of field judges. But what about my previous question?

You're judging horns from the field. Your assessment takes into account the impact the movement has on your sound. Makes sense. But should your assessment include the relative difficulty required in any aspect other than musical? I accept that the field brass judge should weigh the sound and any imperfections that might result from movement. The question is should when the sounds are equal, should that field brass judge give more credict to the corps moving more/faster? Or should his music score rate only the music he hears? I'm thinking "hears" only.

HH

if the corps is doing more visually and producing the quality sound, then yes, they should get the nod

The point is that these individual issues shouldnt matter. If I can't hear one 3rd trumpet thats not perfectly blended or exactly in tune with his neighbor from the front row, should it matter? If it doesn't detract from the performance in any way to the audience I don't think it should

but judging has never been and never will be about the fans.

if it was the show that has fans throwing burning babies year in and year would win

why should their musical scores change based on non musical things?

the visual demand should be the job of the visual judge.

wong. visual demand can affect the playing...they key is to master the playing while doing the visual demand.

this is why I avoid the lot and think way too many people put far too much importance on the lot. great...you played clean standing still. you are now the parking lot cadets champions of the world.

yet, more often than not, they #### stuff out on the field when moving.

Also not relevant, as in figure skating they are judging one individual. In drum corps its all about the whole...I'm saying the individual shouldnt matter as much

but...to make the whole, every individual has to pull their full weight.

Excellent point.

Wrong place at the right time.

It still is a flawed scoring system.

every scoring system has flaws, including those with no field judges at all.

but...to make the whole, every individual has to pull their full weight.

Hmm...if they're pulling their weight, the whole will be there, if not then it wont be, right? How can you tell what the whole is from the field?

but judging has never been and never will be about the fans.

if it was the show that has fans throwing burning babies year in and year would win

And I'm going to go further and say that the fans favorite show shouldn't win every year. Some years sure, it works out that way. 08 it worked, 09 not so much. BD was still deserving of the win. Yeah as a fan I wanted Crown to win. As someone who has a trained ear and eye, I knew they were not going to win. And I was okay with it. Maybe Crowns show had a little more demand in it... but their demand was very comparable to BD's. And Crown's visual demand was not performed as well as BD's. BD was #### near perfect. I did catch one foot timing problem, because I was looking REALLLLY hard. But that is just one... that's ####### one little visual error I could pick out. Forms/spacing, immaculate. Demand, varied, and each separate skill performed with extremely high excellence. Their music performance was pretty ####### clean too (even though I hate their sound, ugh, lol). I don't even remember the numbers for GE, and I will never try to understand how GE is judged in DCI. I do know that the performance can effect that score greatly though. Which does make sense. I don't even know my point anymore. I'm probably just rehashing things everyone else has said. I'm just validating the fact that BD won fair and square, and they deserved it very much.

Note I am a Regiment fan, then Crown, then a bunch of corps... then BD. Hell if Crown got screwed, I would be very vocal about it. And BD's show was boring as ####. And I fell asleep during Regiment's... my favorite corps...

I thought we covered all of this in September.

lol no wonder i thought all of this sounded familiar. OH FREAKIN YEAH. This conversation has been going on since JULY.

anyway. This has been a fun read for an insomniac.

I'm sorry, there's just no way we can have an intelligent discussion about this. You are wrong. Stop letting a minute and a half of show time dictate what you think about a twelve minute performance.

Devs moved. A lot. If you don't see that, you're ignorant. That's all I can say.

This. All of this. This isn't opinion anymore, it's fact. I don't get how anyone can, besides jokingly, say that the Blue Devils didn't move at all in their show this year. It's simply astounding that people can make such outrageous claims, just because you don't like someone doesn't make their show easier.

Before someone quotes me with "pure bs" or something let me clarify. Saying they were boring is an opinion. You can't prove boring or not even when referring to GE. Saying they didn't much is false. Anyone with eyes can see they moved very fast at a lot of parts and did demanding (while not as demanding as others) drill.

The only fact in there is "Devs moved." Just to clarify.

Goosfrabba!

:tongue: