Bop 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people went around using known and defined terms wrongly all the time, we'd be in some trouble.

Like the few others who have taken time to try to explicate definitions, I also disagree with your initial assertion that this music that you are arbitrarily re-categorizing as bop, against known and practiced musical convention, will make drum corps more money. It won't because they aren't going to go there. You aren't going to see any major drum corps do Village People or whoever the heck HC and Sunshine are. (oh I see... you mean KC and the Sunshine Band) So don't hold your breath. And since no top corps will adopt this usually vapid music you are calling by the wrong name, the few that MIGHT touch it with a 10 foot pole will not bring in the thousands of adoring fans you think are waiting at the gates with money in fist.

People get into an activity because they are exposed to the winners, first and foremost, and the winners set the tone. Now, I could see some of our winners (i.e. elite corps) take on REAL bop - you know, the bop you refuse to acknowledge by using the known musical term correctly and thus have diluted into a meaningless word by lumping it into some unrelated and rather ambiguous self-defined category. And REAL bop would at least bring in some needed variety and color to a drum corps show, which might expand the fan base.

Now I need to go drink my tea. No, it's not really tea, but it's caffeinated, so I can call it TEA because I SAY SO.

(done with my pre-coffee rant. Forgive me if I flew off the handle too much. I obviously don't like it when people fly in the face of known musical convention just because.)

Nah, I already know these things. I’m just using it for the people who wants to be annoyed with my term of BOP; the people who wants to trip off of petty stuff. So thus, as long as people keep worry about me using the word that I want to use, I’m going to keep doing it my way! I mean wow, 7 pages...

Edited by En929

I thought bawker owned the word "bop" on DCP, as in "Chop n Bop" drum corps. And he never meant it in a good way...

Perhaps that's why this thread is entitled "Bop 2", to prevent copyright infringement. :tongue:

. . .now I feel like changing the thread title to "Bop II: Electric Boogaloo".

DO IT!

Pretty please?

Nah, I can't, since it's not my thread or a request from the OP. However, give it time . . .I imagine this thread will either be closed or go off the rails pretty soon.

Maybe we can all post in either haikus or in a Dr. Seuss-esque manner the rest of the thread.

Why do the ringing ting-tootlers in DCI not play bop?

When did the fabulous conflaburation of those sounds stop?

Was it a gi-gorgious, fantamagorical floopity-flop?

Moving away those dulcet, tintinnabulative sounds of pop?

Did Timmy's Old-Tyme Bang Bleaters score suffer a drop?

Maybe, just maybe . . . causing a kerfuffle for a corps that was on top?

I don't rightly know why we think it now such slop

I do have an idea, though, my friends . . .

Let's blame Hop.

Nah, I already know these things. I’m just using it for the people who wants to be annoyed with my term of BOP; the people who wants to trip off of petty stuff. So thus, as long as people keep worry about me using the word that I want to use, I’m going to keep doing it my way! I mean wow, 7 pages...

Alright, I'll break away from the whole "word" you're using for a second. Popular music has been used in DCI if it fits the show in a manner that makes it work, but there is less of it than there used to be. I blame this on the 2-chord electronic Spears-era that we've been living in. Yet, we hear 60s, 70s, 80s rock and pop in corps all the time (you know, real music thats usable)

Bluecoats have done this well on many occasions. Blue Devils 1990 with Tommy or 92 with When a Man Loves a Woman. Crown in 2005 with Arms of the Angels. Cadets in 04 with Tull (I blame the design, that music could work) or 01 with Moondance. Many examples.

This thread had turned in some good laughs... DCP still has some integrity in the off season, lol. So I have to thank the original poster.. regretfully so. Ha

Edited by kickhaltsforlife