2009 DVDs

That crowd goes absolutely ape-####.

Things that the dvd confirms:

-BD was completely dominant visually.

-Crown was completely dominant musically.

-Cadets really didn't have the hardest show. The top 3 were about equal.

-Blue Stars were awesome!

-Boston actually was entertaining for the first time in like...10 years.

-Crossmen were really, really dirty, and should have been beaten by Surf.

-Glassmen's show was pretty cool.

Confirms for YOU. Please refrain from making blanket statements as to not entice angry reactions...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirms for YOU. Please refrain from making blanket statements as to not entice angry reactions...

I believe that was understood...geez. Lighten up on the maroon kool-aid.

I think the biggest question is...

we are in a dome

a dome that has rigging and cat walks

why is there no catwalk, bird's eye cam?

it would be so perfect to have a multicam, high angle, and bird's eye angle in the dvd. hell, leave out the audio tracks for judges.

give us catwalk cam!!!

Do you think you would like straight down or give the performers a little dimension by having the camera a little forward?

We actually talked about doing this, but frankly, DCI isn't looking for ways to spend more money at the moment. Renting and rigging the camera (robotic or not) costs money, plus the associated editing, encoding, authoring, etc., etc.

Keep the ideas coming, though! I do listen to all thoughtful posts.

Do you think you would like straight down or give the performers a little dimension by having the camera a little forward?

We actually talked about doing this, but frankly, DCI isn't looking for ways to spend more money at the moment. Renting and rigging the camera (robotic or not) costs money, plus the associated editing, encoding, authoring, etc., etc.

Is there a way it can be higher in that stadium?? Not catwalk, but just so we could actually see all the forms/drill. I don't think catwalk would be a good replacement for high cam because shows are not designed to be viewed from that angle, maybe an extra if anything. I just really feel the cam needs to be higher if you can get it there without looking like the field is a mile away.

That crowd goes absolutely ape-####.

Things that the dvd confirms:

-Boston actually was entertaining for the first time in like...10 years.

I TOTALLY agree with you. I've never been a big fan of BAC, but I REALLY liked their show this year. I think it's easily one of their best designs in 10 years, and maybe their best percussion section ever.

This was a great show for BAC, and I look forward to seeing how their design team builds on this show next year!

i understand that, but something higher up would be better. I mean I know you are limited with sound because of the building, but something higher up would be appreciated

Was Colts' DVD performance from Quarters, or did they just fix the trumpet solo in the ballad?

Beyond that I thought the DVDs were fine. I would have liked the High-Cam videos slightly higher, but once you adjust it's fine.

I didn't get the DVD yet so can't say. But if it was an edited semis than I'm sure that's the one thing a lot of people would probably complain about.... :tongue::tongue: [/sarcasm]

Edited by bmroth1

Is there a way it can be higher in that stadium?? Not catwalk, but just so we could actually see all the forms/drill. I don't think catwalk would be a good replacement for high cam because shows are not designed to be viewed from that angle, maybe an extra if anything. I just really feel the cam needs to be higher if you can get it there without looking like the field is a mile away.

An extra angle up in the rafters is exactly what I was considering at the time. I chose the high camera location this year for a specific reason. More later.

Edited by TRBlair

An extra angle up in the rafters is exactly what I was considering at the time. I chose the high camera location this year for a specific reason. More later.

I'd be very interested to hear what that specific reason is.

The ONLY reason I purchase the DVDs for any given year is to have access to the High Camera angle. And having read these reports, I will definitely not be spending any money on the 2009 DVDs. (...Even though there are some shows I'd like to see again.)

It's bad enough when the high camera zooms in on one portion or side of the field and omits a huge portion of the drill for whole segments of time (seems like it's usually the colorguard that gets cropped out when this happens) - basically negating the whole reason for the "High Camera" option on the DVD . But when the field view is limited to begin with by camera placement, I'm just gonna want to pull my hair out the entire time. Not an experience worth paying for... in my opinion.

I'd be very interested to hear what that specific reason is.

The ONLY reason I purchase the DVDs for any given year is to have access to the High Camera angle. And having read these reports, I will definitely not be spending any money on the 2009 DVDs. (...Even though there are some shows I'd like to see again.)

It's bad enough when the high camera zooms in on one portion or side of the field and omits a huge portion of the drill for whole segments of time (seems like it's usually the colorguard that gets cropped out when this happens) - basically negating the whole reason for the "High Camera" option on the DVD . But when the field view is limited to begin with by camera placement, I'm just gonna want to pull my hair out the entire time. Not an experience worth paying for... in my opinion.

I'd like to hear the reason as well (I'm not grillin' ya Blair, I'm just curious) :)

bradrick, the angle is about the same it was in the 2007 dvd's I would say (maybe a teensy bit higher?) so if you have those, look at that for a comparison.