2009 DVDs

I thought with all the stink about the synths and the dome there would be a lot more to this thread. Does noone notice that it really doesn't sound that bad, or that corps did indeed overuse the synth to give the low brass some volume?

Talented fingers on an audio engineering board can do wonders. Yes, it was not as bad on the DVDs as on the CDs or live. But let's not mix media, it WAS that bad live.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not impressed with the sound quality at all. Recordings seemed sanitized to reduce reverb. Was like listening to Drum Corps in a soup can.

It pretty much was recorded in a soup can...

Except for the usual issue of the pits being a tad loud ( mix level ) , I thought the sound was great.

The synthes were a bit noticeable at times , not a problem for me ( low end bass )

I actually liked the electric piano stuff , IMHO sounds very much like normal pit repertoire.

I wish they would get rid of the Colts helmet , at the Meadowlands they change helmets for Jets Giants colleges on a weekly basis and apparently it is no big deal.

the one in jersey has the NFL logo in the middle, it doesnt have either team

What are some things you saw in the dvd's that surprised you, made you laugh, etc?

In Boston's show at the end of the drum break, a guy throws his trumpet up, misses it, picks it up, looks at it so see if its ok, and goes back to what he's doing.

Also in Boston's show, during a jazz run set one member almost eats the floor, but plants his hand and keeps him from a horrible fall

Okay, I am a sucker, I admit it, I buy them ever year. I was very excited, and rushed to watch them. (Okay this is not going to be another thread on how bad the indoor setting was). I will admit the back drop just looks awful to me; it looks like a cheap production.

Speaking of production, what was with the high cam, I mean low cam this year? It was very bad, worse ever. I know for a fact they could have had a higher cam, I went to the top level in Prelims. So, I am upset, because I paid $100 for really, a multi-cam DVD. (The Cadets 75 and CB barely resembles on high cam, can't make out BD $ sign)

They also need to bring back the other or at least some of the features, especially the audio tracks. The wide screen is nice, but I will not buy that the wide screen takes up more space or even costs more to film than standard frame rate. So, DCI still charges $100, but gives us less, now a multi cam $100 DVD, nice.

Did they have a smaller camera crew this year? The shot selection just plain sucked, minimal to no close ups. Here is the deal, no show can ever be shot in perfection, but there are some years where they do a great job. To me, this is border line 1987 work, I am not kidding.

Okay, what you ask are some of the highlights. Surprisingly, the audio is better than expected. The packaging is nice and well, I do like the cover of the DVD (The BD girl is smokin')

I plan on contacting DCI, maybe they should release the Atlanta show at some point in the future. This by no means is as bad as 1995, but is not nearly as good as the past 8 years either. Tom Blair and DCI, you have always done right by us, better luck next year.

Okay, I am a sucker, I admit it, I buy them ever year. I was very excited, and rushed to watch them. (Okay this is not going to be another thread on how bad the indoor setting was). I will admit the back drop just looks awful to me; it looks like a cheap production.

Speaking of production, what was with the high cam, I mean low cam this year? It was very bad, worse ever. I know for a fact they could have had a higher cam, I went to the top level in Prelims. So, I am upset, because I paid $100 for really, a multi-cam DVD. (The Cadets 75 and CB barely resembles on high cam, can't make out BD $ sign)

They also need to bring back the other or at least some of the features, especially the audio tracks. The wide screen is nice, but I will not buy that the wide screen takes up more space or even costs more to film than standard frame rate. So, DCI still charges $100, but gives us less, now a multi cam $100 DVD, nice.

Did they have a smaller camera crew this year? The shot selection just plain sucked, minimal to no close ups. Here is the deal, no show can ever be shot in perfection, but there are some years where they do a great job. To me, this is border line 1987 work, I am not kidding.

Okay, what you ask are some of the highlights. Surprisingly, the audio is better than expected. The packaging is nice and well, I do like the cover of the DVD (The BD girl is smokin')

I plan on contacting DCI, maybe they should release the Atlanta show at some point in the future. This by no means is as bad as 1995, but is not nearly as good as the past 8 years either. Tom Blair and DCI, you have always done right by us, better luck next year.

I mentioned the cam earlier... this really needs to be addressed, we can't have eight more years of a 'high cam' that's actually a low cam