Cavaliers or Phantom

The 2 great corps from Illinois. Along the same discussion of Blue Devils and Vanguard from a few days ago. Which corps shows do you usually enjoy more?

This is also a difficult choice. I usually enjoy Cavaliers just a little more than Phantom, at least as of late. In the 70's 80's I would enjoy both corps, with it flip flopping as to who I liked more depending on the show and year. However, since the 90's I think I have enjoyed Cavaliers better every year except 4 times. The total package they have every year is just amazing. Phantom sometimes has a better sound, but Cavaliers visual package more than makes up for the lack of volume. So for the entire span of DCI, I would give Cavaliers a slight edge over Phantom. Musically it just depends on the year. I love classical music, but also really enoy the interesting choices by the Cavaliers over the years as well too.

I would give the slight edge to Cavaliers, especially in the last decade. Up until 97, it would have been much closer to a tie.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom... can't tell by my name right?

I don't know... Cavies have put out some great shows, especially at the beginning of this decade. But Phantom... even when they sucked managed to grab me (except for this year when I fell asleep during their show). I think it is just the music. They play music I love, pretty much all the time.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Cavaliers.

Their shows the past 20 years or so have generally had just about everything: great visual program, awesome percussion, incredible guard, shows design from the inside out.

Phantom, IMO, often have a great music program, but I often find their visual program SEVERELY lacking. Sometimes I don't even find their musical selections entertaining.

Edited by perc2100

PR

I have to say Cavaliers. Phantom has some great moments, but they haven't consistently entertained me with their shows from the past two decades or so (which is weird to say because I've only seen about 20% of those programs in a live venue).

Both great corps!