Cadets fall at finals

This discussion is moot. If you're not first, you're last. :rolleyes:

I suggest you read "Not For The Faint Of Heart", and multiply it by the thousands of MM's that didn't win. Ask them if they were let down from the experience because they came in 2 thru...

It ain't about the ring. Never was. Never will be. Never SHOULD be.

The end.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just silly, and obviously spoken by someone high that day. That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth.

:rolleyes:

But I've lived my entire life by this!

Oh I have no doubt that it will be one of my fondest memories of my life! All I'm trying to say is that the place on Finals night will have nothing to do with it. Because lets be honest..BD still had to load the truck that night too! They just happened to get a higher score a few hours prior.

They may have been loading but it wasn't equipment! I was in the lot after finals and it mattered to these kids. They felt they got snookered last year and it wasn't gonna happen again. But I take your meaning about placement, having supported a BAC member 3 years ago. It's all relative and beating that corps that beat you last year is huge. By the way, I saw BAC and troopers in the lot this year after finals, for them it couldn't get any better. Livin' large.

But I've lived my entire life by this!

I'm going to take from your sig that you aged out of CC. The recent DCI Mag. had an article about Matt Harloff (brass caption supervisor for CC). To quote him in the article: "...success doesn't just mean winning all the time. The biggest focus is on individual improvement...", "Ultimately, we're preparing students to be whatever they want to be in life."

Winning may be your goal, and more power to you, but I think most top-tier instructors know how to get the best from their kids, medal or not, making the experience as, or more, important than the medals and rings. I hope you haven't forgotten that lesson so soon...

(Disclaimer: I'd have given my left *** to be on the field in '08 and hear that crowd roar!)

Just sayin'

Well, they were third all of finals week... and they ended up third.

I wonder, maybe it was just bad design and bad performance? (By bad, I mean worse than Crown.) Probably.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that one person falling cost them a placement.

I'm going to take from your sig that you aged out of CC. The recent DCI Mag. had an article about Matt Harloff (brass caption supervisor for CC). To quote him in the article: "...success doesn't just mean winning all the time. The biggest focus is on individual improvement...", "Ultimately, we're preparing students to be whatever they want to be in life."

Winning may be your goal, and more power to you, but I think most top-tier instructors know how to get the best from their kids, medal or not, making the experience as, or more, important than the medals and rings. I hope you haven't forgotten that lesson so soon...

(Disclaimer: I'd have given my left *** to be on the field in '08 and hear that crowd roar!)

Just sayin'

Fyi, this entire time I've been quoting Talledega Nights ;)

Edited by fourouttheforty

Can I also add that after they recovered, at the next halt, one of the snares near the middle took an extra step and screwed up the entire line's intervals. That MIGHT have had an effect on their score. It took them a while to get refocused.

The Cadets have never struck me as a Corps wedded to" the same formula "at all. To their credit, The Cadets have shifted gears and gone in different directions from year to year wih their visual programs probably more than any Corps I can think of. But who knows, maybe you're right and they'll keep" the same formula" of the high velocity drill again this season. Time will tell.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Time will tell. My point is that you shouldn't expect the Cadets to make a drastic change to the way they write drill just because of one fall at finals. High velocity drill has served them well up to this point regardless of a fall. Honestly, I think too much of a deal is being made on this fall. They got third. I'm sure the members of that corps aren't too disappointed with their show. Crown didn't beat them by much. Crown was "on" at finals and Cadets just happened to not be "on" as much as Crown.

Edited by 2000Cadet

They may have been loading but it wasn't equipment! I was in the lot after finals and it mattered to these kids. They felt they got snookered last year and it wasn't gonna happen again. But I take your meaning about placement, having supported a BAC member 3 years ago. It's all relative and beating that corps that beat you last year is huge. By the way, I saw BAC and troopers in the lot this year after finals, for them it couldn't get any better. Livin' large.

hmm different perspective than what jts5032 was going for?