SCV 2010 - BARTÓK

very interesting. definitely pandering to the Echo Dome, and I'm sure it'll be electronicized up front

but there is potential. Yes, I expect some Star comparisons, but my God, after last year and everyone saying "oh no App Spring version one zillion"...they nailed it.

What I like most is this is the type of stuff that made SCV SCV.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are corps going to stop recycling the same music year after year? Their name is "Vanguard", but they always play the same music. I'm bored with the show and I haven't even seen it.

yeah because this has been oh so much :tongue:

After taking a trip to CorpsReps, it looks like I grossly overestimated the number of times this music's been used. I take back what I said before; I was probably speaking personally as I've listened to the original works pretty often. If SCV goes for a straight retelling, a la Appalachian Spring this past year, then I'm going to be disappointed. Of course, there's certainly the possibility with these pieces - especially Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta - that SCV could take them and turn them into an original show and an instant classic. I guess I'll wait and see what comes out of it, but I'd rather have a show like 1999 than 2009.

I let out an audible groan when I heard SCV would be doing Appalachian Spring, but to be honest that show was one of the most creative and thoughtful I've seen in a long time. :tongue: No painful over-arranging for the sake of over-arranging, no (or rather few) generic devices inserted willy-nilly into the music, and a drill as elegant and effective as anything the Cavies have produced.

I also prefer it when corps put new music on the field . . . there's so much out there that hasn't been done, and shows like SCV 98-03 and 06-08 are some of my favorites ever (though 97, 04, and 05 fall into that category too . . . I'm never disappointed when it comes to Vanguard). But if it's anything like last year's show I'll like it. But hopefully in '11 they'll take this approach to something that hasn't been put on the field before. But since Vanguard has been so assiduous in introducing new music in the past, I think they've earned the right to take a couple of years off.

Edited by Rifuarian

Let the comparisons with 1993 Star begin!! (well, once the show is heard)

There would have to be a Barber in there as well for the Star comparisons. I could care less if they play the original Star show. I love what Vanguard is doing with retro. Great music done in the new run and dance style drum corps.

When are corps going to stop recycling the same music year after year? Their name is "Vanguard", but they always play the same music. I'm bored with the show and I haven't even seen it.

Nice first post. Perhaps you missed the shows that vanguard did in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008.....all of which were more cutting edge. As mentioned, this music has only been played 2 or 3 times EVER, and never in quite this combination. But way to ruin what could be a great drum corps for yourself in november. Good lord, even I'm prepared to give the 2010 Blue Devils a chance...... :tongue:

I don't believe I've ever seen SCV do this music. If they have, it wasn't recent (sorry, didn't check Corpsreps). It is a huge dfference from the music they played last year...don't really understand what you mean.

Besides 93 Star and 01 Regiment, it is worth checking out 97 Center Grove's marching band. One of my favorite marching band shows and where I was first introduced to Concerto for Orchestra.

Z

That was my introduction to Concerto for Orchestra as well. I would find out later that it was also the favorite piece of one of my band instructors, even to the point where he had named his cat "Bartók"

Nice first post. Perhaps you missed the shows that vanguard did in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2008.....all of which were more cutting edge. As mentioned, this music has only been played 2 or 3 times EVER, and never in quite this combination. But way to ruin what could be a great drum corps for yourself in november. Good lord, even I'm prepared to give the 2010 Blue Devils a chance...... :tongue:

Please don't feed the troll.

Think about it. First post + provocative screen name + outrageous opinion unsupported by fact = somebody [who's probably been booted before] looking to pick a fight. Walk away.

Please don't feed the troll.

Think about it. First post + provocative screen name + outrageous opinion unsupported by fact = somebody [who's probably been booted before] looking to pick a fight. Walk away.

but somebody's got to feed them!!! :tongue: