Privacy in Corps? Or lack thereof?

Hey, original poster...you don't have anything to worry about, actually.

At the Blue Star facility for the camps, the guys showers are all individual stalls anyways. Just bring your clothes into the stall and change in there. Nothing to worry about at all!

But, don't get used to it...you'll have to shower with others eventually. No big deal.

Hope this eased your anxiety a little bit :)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will see every member of the same sex naked, and some members of the opposite sex naked. Same goes for them seeing you.

Eyes on the road. Eyes on the road.

The most important thing to remember: Shower shoes. You'll learn that athletes foot on tour is a ##### and next to impossible to get rid of. Worry about that more than anything else...

That and athletes crouch. :tongue: especially if its a rainy tour like 03, 06, or 08. :tongue:

this is probably what made it even that much more fun.

Thinking back on it. All that hard work, pain and anguish of rehearsal just melted away with the water. And then, you got food to make you feel at home and comfortable.

Ah. Simple things in life are appreciated during and after tour.

I agree on the shower shoes/flip flops. One of my more important items on tour. I always made sure I had flip flops that were an odd color. People would look at me weird as I had neon green or pink flip flops...until they walked in the locker room and saw 40-60 pairs of black flip flops. No one mistakenly walked off with my flip flops in the 9 years I was on tour.

Z

There's some other good advice in this thread. a) Armies and drum corps march on their feet. Shower clogs and nail clippers. You do not want athlete's foot or an ingrown toenail on tour. b) Sleep is precious. c) Deodorant works in the short run, but don't depend on it for long.

This sounds like one of those "really, that doesn't sound so bad" issues, but after what I have seen in one case it's BAD. Some ingrowns are serious enough to need surgery. In the one case I'm referring to, a horn player had to buy some cheap tennis shoes and literally cut a hole in the toe box so he could rehearse. Closed shoes were torture for him. He managed in show shoes, but it was extremely painful. It was his call to not go home and have it taken care of surgically, and he spent most of his meal times with his foot in a soaking solution to try to help it heal. Not fun!!!!

A corps is a family, and I don't know too many families who spend their few minutes of shower time staring down another members member. You get in, get out get dressed and move on. No big deal. You won't see the opposite sex nude as much as you might like to, but some nudity is guaranteed. Its your family, so what happens on tour stays on tour. good luck. I'm 43 and have to still shower with the guys I work with, or drive home full of coal dust and grease getting all over my car. Nudity is over rated.

Edited by 84skyrydr

I agree on the shower shoes/flip flops. One of my more important items on tour. I always made sure I had flip flops that were an odd color. People would look at me weird as I had neon green or pink flip flops...until they walked in the locker room and saw 40-60 pairs of black flip flops. No one mistakenly walked off with my flip flops in the 9 years I was on tour.

Z

That is actually a really, really good idea... :tongue:

In 89 we were showering at the stadium (rare occurance) after the show (can't remember where). I was taking my time and enjoying my first really nice shower in days (what is it with crappy showers on tour?) when I realized the showers had emptied out. I didn't pay much attention until I realized the reason for this was that Star of Indiana's guard had next dibs on the showers and were already in the locker room undressing. Worse, my corps mates thought it would be hillarious to steal my towel, so I had a nice long (naked) walk back to my stuff in front of about 30 shocked female guard members.