Vanguard Toast

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the great things about slow tempos: it exposes your foot timing and technique to a ridiculous extent. People can yap all they want about fast tempos being difficult and whatnot (and to an extent, they're right. . . fast tempos are way more physically demanding), but a lot of corps are able to get away with a looooooooot of really bad foot timing issues simply by cranking up the tempo. It's just a matter of cognitive limitation - it's way more difficult for someone to perceive a foot timing disparity at 190 than at 120. So yeah, the foot timing here is pretty iffy, but it's just a product of the extreme exposure of the tempo.

Agreed. Some of the nastiest marching I see is from top corps whose trademark is whiplash marchign at quick tempos, yet can't march slowly to save their lives. Slow tempos really show how solidly a corps has been trained. The same is true of playing most of the time.

Slow tempos also make some marching techniques look nasty...like mannequins being moved by a puppeteer.

Check out the judge getting ready to munch on a chocolate bar. Here these kids are playing the show of their lives, and he's eating chocolate!!

What's up with THAT?!?! :thumbup:

:tongue:

Is that Albert Lo? I LOVE that guy!

Is that Albert Lo? I LOVE that guy!

LoooooMeeiiinnnn!!

but seriously, we loved him too. In that sort of, "We hate you for giving us bad numbers but not saying anything on the tape" sort of way.

Ha! I know that feeling!

I really just loved watching him sprint and come to a sliding stop in front of whatever section he thought was being featured. Fo reals, that guy could move.

actually, the foot timing looks off because there were 3 lines moving to 1 so therefore every 3 places there would be someone moving backward next to someone moving forward.

dsc_0796.jpg

dsc_0441.jpg