Dare I make a DARE?

NanciD

It was a different era indeed. I understand students had spelling and grammar drilled into them as well.

:tongue: :tongue: :doh:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing that bothers me is the cookie cuter sameness of the uniforms design from a shape standpoint. every design seems to be the same regardless of color.

and to be honest Nanci, the kind of footwork I seem to be getting from your post refers more to what used to be done as opposed to what is done now. And I'll be honest with you, if you tried to do a lot of the body work that happens now...and say you look like Sky with black pants and white shoes...you'll get shredded.

and you should. you will never, especially on the DCA level get a visual package so clean that a look like that will ever do well. the kind of M&M as you call it has passed, and yes if we still did it, you'd be ok.

But the game has changed, and you have to use every tool at your disposal to make it work for you. And doing as you suggest with a uniform design will kill people because the demand now in DCA shows with the amount of rehearsal they have guarantees it will be exposed and slaughtered

Really? :doh:

Nope, and Liz probably had the answer to part of it. Other part is I don't really go to a corps show to be impressed, I go to be entertained. So I probably should have said that it doesn't entertain me that much. Yeah, it's hard at a high BPM and thank goodness that wasn't going on during my era. :tongue: When I see members flying across the field, lot of times I don't see it adding to the show so my thoughts are it's being done more as a way to impress the crowd with the corps talent level. Get the same feeling when I read members bragging about how many sets are in their show this year. And I'm sure that feeling has a lot to do with being around when corps went to a different style of show which emphasized difficulty more than doing the olde style show where everyone in the crowd knew the music. Some of the corps then just gave the feeling that they didn't care if you liked the show or could follow it, just as long as you were impressed. (See History of DC section titled "Year of Audience Discontent")

And for the record: I came in when squard style drills had just gone out of style in DC. But my first corps DI had a lot of squad style things in his teaching that wasn't put on the field.

PS as I just noticed it in Lizs post: None of this bothers me. I just enjoy some things in DC more than others. That's why I can talk about my preferences without foaming at the mouth..... :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Again, I do believe that is a generational difference. I can't watch old video with the cluster-type drills and see why anyone would have enjoyed doing it or watching it. (Yes, I'm fully expecting people to attempt to shred me for that.) I like the fast paced drills today and am blow away at times with just how much athleticism goes into marching now compared to 20/30 years ago. Say what you will, but no workout was needed to accomplish a drill back then and still not be out of breath at the end.

Do I think some corps have dirty feet? Of course, and making them wear white shoes will only hurt them more in the end. Do I think we possibly miss how clean some of the corps are because they are in black on black, and going at however many crazy BPM? Yeah, I do. But I like what is going on now, so it doesn't bother me the way it seems to some bother some others.

oh you got to be kidding! the drills from 20-30 years ago took a lot of skill. try marching in a squad ot 9-12 and keep the line straight interval the same and play your intrument. please with the BPM!. how about a full corps extended company front. right now you lost credibility..........sorry but that was an offensive post.

oh you got to be kidding! the drills from 20-30 years ago took a lot of skill. try marching in a squad ot 9-12 and keep the line straight interval the same and play your intrument. please with the BPM!. how about a full corps extended company front. right now you lost credibility..........sorry but that was an offensive post.

See. Knew it. The minute I said I didn't like something I'm the enemy and I lost credibility because I have a different opinion than yourself. :tongue: Thank you for proving my point oh so very well.

as is yours. both have their merits. you choose not to acknowledge those merits of that which you do not like.

I grew up on old drum corps. I love it. The Alumni show is one my favorite events.

I also love the new stuff.

both are tough as balls. but the game has changed.

as is yours. both have their merits. you choose not to acknowledge those merits of that which you do not like.

I grew up on old drum corps. I love it. The Alumni show is one my favorite events.

I also love the new stuff.

both are tough as balls. but the game has changed.

*The game has changed to what exactly?*

Seriously?!

Are you saying that it's no longer an M&M activity?

*The game has changed to what exactly?*

Seriously?!

Are you saying that it's no longer an M&M activity?

well nanci...in many ways yes. it's not just marching and maneuvering anymore. it's visual performance which yes, encompasses marching, but also has the body work etc that corps today do. the strict definition of marching maneuvering and that you keep using is coming across as limited to just the actual marching and the forms. there is so much more to it today that the phrase "M&M" is horribly outdated.

At the risk of offending you, perchance you go check out a corps and see what all is covered in the visual block and you will see it no longer just marching and maneuvering in the definition used 30 years ago. There is a reason why on the sheets and recaps, it is no longer listed as M&M.

I am going along with Liz and Jeff on this topic.

Those types of uniforms might be used in the Alumni activity with pant stripes and white shoes and look great!. HOWEVER...There is not enough time to clean drill to the point of the juniors when what is asked of todays marcher is much different than what we did in the day. And marching isnt what it used to be at the highest level of DCA (which equals the OPEN Class DCI and corps from 15 down in WORLD Class). It is now more about movement than marching the way we were taught BITD. Much training goes into learning ballet type movement in order to achieve what is expected at this level. Tes there still are company fronts and some straight lines, but the responsibilities on a marching member include many things that we would have never had to do.

Old style uniforms and white bucks were a great look BITD...but I agree with Jeff (which you know I hate to do LOL) times and the activity has changed and if corps dont change with that fact, they will begin to get lost in the scoring system.

DA

BTW how did you change your name Jeff?