DCI Direct

This is a disappointing statement.

That's not an answer to anything at all . . . that's a cop-out.

I don't want fifty shows "designed for the dome", and neither does anyone else.

The best possible strategy is to find something that works for every corps, no matter what style of show they play. You don't do that by shrugging your shoulders and telling people to work through the design process differently because we're there for the next ten years.

If it's indeed a "top priorirty", then let's make it one, and don't try to hold up seven minutes of mf from SCV as the gold standard to which LOS show design should be held.

I agree with all of this.

Most shows are not in domes. Music scores designed specifically to do well at a few events in domes is a complete cop out, and more than a slight slap in the face to the thousands of fans who attend all of the other shows.

If what Mr. Dorritie hinted at is the solution DCI comes up with, I doubt that I'll ever attend a show again...or I'll wait and see which corps decide to just say "yo, #### that, we're not doing it."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things DCI needs to consider aside from acoustics (and my understanding from a credible DCI source is that one of them is being dealt with)

1) $125 tickets out on the goal line (re: 500 section). I know of people who paid top dollar and were furious where their seats were, and are not coming back next year. While my understanding is this is being addressed for next year, MY OPINION is that heads should roll over this one (ie- FIRE THE TICKETING PERSON RESPONSIBLE). That old saying "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

The excuse will be "it was a new venue", but that does not fly. Even if it was a new venue, the DCI ticketing person had a seating chart. Let me be clear: THIS BONEHEADED TICKET PRICING/LOCATION DECISION WILL COST DCI A FEW THOUSAND $$ WORTH OF TICKET SALES NEXT YEAR FOR PEOPLE I'M AWARE OF WHO WILL NOT COME BACK BASED ON THIS DECISION ALONE!!!!!! There. Point made. I could tell the first time I saw the seating chart this was going to be a problem, when you had "Super Premium" seats near the goal line.

2) This is not something DCI can fix. Sightlines. Specifically, persons sitting near an entrance, and in the first couple of rows, have to look through a plexiglass window that obstructs the sound, and even the view. Even if one can see through the window, people do not want to watch corps looking through something, no matter how clear it is. One idea would be for DCI to have someone actually go around and sit in each and every seat that is near an entrance, at least for the first 3-4 rows, to determine which seats could be considered partially obstructed and thereby lower the costs for those seats.

I do realize this would mean maybe a $125 seat is directly beside or above a seat priced lower, but the "lower priced seat" would have a partially obstructed view, or partially obstructed sound. I realize this may seem like too much effort, but this was/is also a valid concern for persons who spent $125 to view/listen to corps (either in full or in part) through a plexiglass shield. Since DCI probably has no control over this, the next-best option would be to sell those seats as partially obstructed.

That way, nobody would have a legitimate complaint, since you would know going in that your seat on the 45 yard line would be looking through a clear barrier.

If it turns out to be too hard to fix the stadium, maybe DCI can issue a pair of these with every ticket:

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2008/03/batphone_ear_ex.html

Cupping your hands to your ears can filter out some of the reverb. These probably would do some of the same, plus they're guaranteed to "make music beautiful again." How could that not be a winner?

If it turns out to be too hard to fix the stadium, maybe DCI can issue a pair of these with every ticket:

http://www.shinyshiny.tv/2008/03/batphone_ear_ex.html

Cupping your hands to your ears can filter out some of the reverb. These probably would do some of the same, plus they're guaranteed to "make music beautiful again." How could that not be a winner?

I will take this opportunity to bring to your attention a solution along these lines ..... DCP's very own EarAmps™. You can only imagine my surprise when I noticed something familiar on the gentleman sitting in front of me at DCI Championships in 2008. Of course, he was more than happy to have his picture taken.

EarAmps1.jpg

EarAmps2.jpg

:tongue: (Sorry - couldn't resist)

In all seriousness, I'd also like to thank everyone for their participation in this new feature ..... and hope that the discussion continues. Thanks to Bob and DCI for their involvement and taking this positive step.

-john

We return you now to your regularly scheduled programming.

I will take this opportunity to bring to your attention a solution along these lines ..... DCP's very own EarAmps™.

Doh! :tongue: Those were what I was looking for! Sorry! :tongue:

One question though, now that I found those others: do the DCP ones make music beautiful again too?

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Doh! :tongue: Those were what I was looking for! Sorry! :tongue:

One question though, now that I found those others: do the DCP ones make music beautiful again too?

Of course !!! Trust me. Official DCP EarAmps will make any corps sound like a million dollars in ANY environment. (no, not really) Ask my wife - Morgan Fairchild. ($1 to Jon Lovitz)

The 'imposter' devices you pointed out are : "The design is a made from a single piece of injection moulded plastic although as far as I can work out it's only a prototype. " Doesn't sound like they're 'field-tested' by drum corps fans to me.

heh - all in good fun.

The principals involved are pretty simple though ... a parabolic reflector that focuses sound and rejects back noise. I wished I had a set with me last summer at LOS to test with - as I'm sure they'd reduce SOME of the reflected sound. How much is up for discussion ... and plenty of speculation. I'll certainly bring some along next summer to test.

2) This is not something DCI can fix. Sightlines. Specifically, persons sitting near an entrance, and in the first couple of rows, have to look through a plexiglass window that obstructs the sound, and even the view. Even if one can see through the window, people do not want to watch corps looking through something, no matter how clear it is. One idea would be for DCI to have someone actually go around and sit in each and every seat that is near an entrance, at least for the first 3-4 rows, to determine which seats could be considered partially obstructed and thereby lower the costs for those seats.

I was one so seated. The dummy shield (presumably designed to stop morons from falling over the side of the section) was one thing. Even worse was the handrail installed into the clear plastic idiot barrier so that we wouldn't fall down the steps while not tumbling over the side. The handrail was like someone wrote with magic marker across the screen. No matter where I shifted, the action always managed to shift behind the magic marker.

I was fortunate to be able to find better seats each night. Had I not, I would have gone insane.

HH

I will take this opportunity to bring to your attention a solution along these lines ..... DCP's very own EarAmps™. You can only imagine my surprise when I noticed something familiar on the gentleman sitting in front of me at DCI Championships in 2008. Of course, he was more than happy to have his picture taken.

That's my buddy wearing the ear parabolics. He has worn them the past couple of years and swears by them. He wore them in LOS all three nights last year and thought they improved the experience.

Many a fan sitting near us has tried them. Most say they help. I would wear them too but I figure someone ought to listening for the silly things the folks behind us are saying about him.

HH

That's my buddy wearing the ear parabolics. He has worn them the past couple of years and swears by them. He wore them in LOS all three nights last year and thought they improved the experience.

Many a fan sitting near us has tried them. Most say they help. I would wear them too but I figure someone ought to listening for the silly things the folks behind us are saying about him.

HH

I thought about mentioning that he was a friend of your's Glory ... but didn't want to cause you to be 'guilty by association' for sitting in front of me that year.

It was great meeting you then, sharing thoughts about the shows, and seeing our EarAmps in-use.

-john

As DCI moves forward in its effort—an undertaking that the organization has called “a top priority for everyone”—it’s worth noting that the organization is consulting recognized experts in the field of audio engineering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an audio engineer is not the same as an acoustic engineer, is it? I always thought an audio engineer was someone who manipulated sound during and after recording whereas an acoustic engineer designs spaces for optimal acoustics.