DCI Direct

thats why i suggested BOA to get ##### in the seats

This is the caption from one of the photos on the DCI news page:

Dorritie (center), DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson and

television producer Tom Blair, were among those examining

the listening environment inside the stadium

during last month's BOA Grand Nationals.

I guess that means they thought it would be a good idea, too.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the acoustical issues in the stadium could be improved significantly and quickly....at a cost. Bearing in mind, of course, that this IS a domed stadium. The bottom line will likely be how many folks are willing to pony up the extra cash for tickets in order to have a more satisfactory acoustical experience. Bearing in mind, of course, that this IS a domed stadium....

One of the things addressed in the article is about how difficult it will be to test based on having a live corps and fans. Aren't the Blue Stars and Madison Scouts in that area for much of the pre-season? And if there was an organized attempt at showing a free quasi-show in order to get the effects of having butts in the seats, I am sure many would show up.

I would like to add on to this idea. The State of Indiana holds their band Finals at LOS. I do not know the months but this could be a chance for one or both of the above Corps to test out the sound with thousands of people in the stands. This would be great exposure, you will sell some Suvies for sure. If this happens someone at DCI should also talk to the Milk people about Sponsoring DCI Finals. They do that for the Bands. It never hurts to ask.

Dean

Hum....i guess this is supposed to be a good thing. I just cant get behind all this excitement for being inside. Half the article is talking about how nothing they do will make it significantly better, how opening the roof wont help, how it IS still an indoor arena, how they just want to improve the listenning experience for some people.....then the end is about drum corps in a dome has its advantages, and how corps should redesign their shows like santa clara to take advantage. SCV was great least year, but does anybody really want 30 shows like that??? I mean the whole subtle and tasteful until the end thing works so well in dci because it contrasts corps that blow your face off going 100mph the whole time. If everybody does that, it gets boring. I kinda feel stuck, because I havent heard a show there myself yet, but on the other hand, I really dont want to. Guess i might wind up going to qtrs / semis or something and get some good seats cheap to see for myself

One possible strategy for the future, Dorritie suggests (via a history lesson), is for each corps to find a way to work with, and not against, the sound characteristics of Lucas Oil Stadium.

“In Medieval Europe, liturgical music composers took great advantage of large enclosed spaces in cathedrals by scoring appropriately,” Dorritie explains. “The drum corps that did so this past year—Santa Clara Vanguard, in particular—sounded quite spectacular in Lucas Oil Stadium.”

This is a disappointing statement.

That's not an answer to anything at all . . . that's a cop-out.

I don't want fifty shows "designed for the dome", and neither does anyone else.

The best possible strategy is to find something that works for every corps, no matter what style of show they play. You don't do that by shrugging your shoulders and telling people to work through the design process differently because we're there for the next ten years.

If it's indeed a "top priorirty", then let's make it one, and don't try to hold up seven minutes of mf from SCV as the gold standard to which LOS show design should be held.

This is a disappointing statement.

That's not an answer to anything at all . . . that's a cop-out.

I don't want fifty shows "designed for the dome", and neither does anyone else.

The best possible strategy is to find something that works for every corps, no matter what style of show they play. You don't do that by shrugging your shoulders and telling people to work through the design process differently because we're there for the next ten years.

If it's indeed a "top priorirty", then let's make it one, and don't try to hold up seven minutes of mf from SCV as the gold standard to which LOS show design should be held.

It also ignores the other hundred or so other shows out there that arent in a dome. Sure, 3 of the most important ones are, but is that really how we want to design shows now?

Well...I don't think that is that horrible of a statement to make. Every year I marched I always heard the statement of "Designed for the finals venue" or variation thereof thrown around.

Seriously? Isn't it just possible DCI was busy with all the other people who weren't forgetting, the people who booked the good seats between the 40s? I too am a Friend. And I too have forgotten more than once. I've always found DCI to be responsive and obliging to help me pick good seats given that you and others already had selected the best seats in the house.

HH

But real issue here is lost revenue for DCI - a stupid thing for them to let happen. I was a Friend for 15 years and finally saw no more value in my membership after my finals seats (requested with my on-time, annual contribution) progressively got worse since Denver.

And that's my point here; the ticket selection form is typically sent with the annual contribution; so every person who requested tickets in the past but did not in the current year WAS a revenue stream for DCI. Calling that person when the order has not been received by the deadline would be a way of DCI AVOIDING throwing potential donor dollars out the window!!!

Well...I don't think that is that horrible of a statement to make. Every year I marched I always heard the statement of "Designed for the finals venue" or variation thereof thrown around.

Yes, but if the finals venue is an open stadium then every other venue, except regional shows in the other domed stadiums (that fans also compain about all the time), will have similar sound qualities. Whereas shows designed for LOS will, in most cases, ONLY sound better in the other domed stadiums (that fans also compain about all the time).

Hey, looks like we have a pattern here DCI ... "the other domed stadiums that fans also complain about all the time". Why do you continue to think you will be able to find a way to please the fans in ANY kind of enclosed space?

Well, yes, its honest at least. And I know a lot of shows, even in the band world are best when viewed from up high, especially with brighter uniforms that can become a blur when viewed from a lower angle. Those are pretty minor adjustments though, when compared to things like loud hornlines and crazy drum parts, both of which are either muddled or lost in the indoor arena. I personally dont want corps to change their MO just for those shows, no matter how important it is. Furthermore, I would take a show like hnc 09 any day of the week, even if it comes in 3rd place every single year, rather than a corps that tones it way down just to 'play the game'

Edited by euponitone