Iconic Openers

MikeN

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd disagree on Star '93. I'm narrowing the field down here from good / great openers to ones that threw down and established the air of a championship performance. Star's was so subtle that year - only one impact in the opener, really - that I don't know if it really blew everyone away.

Mike

See, thats where we disagree. Subtlety and nuance are MUCH more difficult than playing loud and lots of runs.

Star 93 has since never quite been matched when it comes to the nuance department.

That's twice with Madison '75--any one else??

Got a grudge against that drum corps or something? geeeeez. :grouphug:

Got a grudge against that drum corps or something? geeeeez. :grouphug:

No, not really--it's all fun, but when you march so close to one another and the Madison members are your pals you marched with from other corps (Nisei, DP Vanguard, many others) and work so hard--it becomes a fun battle, if you will!!--I marched Kilties '75 and it was a battle for Wisconsin back in those days with the Blue Stars roaring back from a 12th place finish to 5th and we end up 7th. I was a drummer then and we beat those guys senseless in percussion only to have them tie us at finals in Philadelphia. (they got a gift that night) Actually, we beat most every drum line back then save SCV. Not bad for a 7th place corps to take 2nd in drums. And, to be honest, when we pulled up out east, Jerry Kearby, our instructor (also for Kingsmen, Troopers, BD) points to the Muchachos scrub team from our bus and says "there's a snare line you're gonna' have to deal with" they actually scared the crap outta' me (they were so f###ing tickless) but as history goes, it was not a good year for them. Ahem.

So no, no ill feelings--just old fashioned razzing--it's not so easy in print as it is to orate!!!

Muchachos - "Pictures of Spain" ('74, '75?) that half-step dissonance in the unaccompanied horn line right after the intro and before the main body of the tune just made your hair stand up!

Fred O.

They could easily have won the whole show.....but the question is, were they really the Cabs? That's the feeling we had back in '75--sad as he!! because we feared and respected and LOVED them at the same time. Just rips your heart out.....