Iconic Openers

MikeN

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally, I love Gavorkna Fanfare - I think they established a tremendous amount of energy with that song, but I'd personally say they didn't nail down that it was a we're-going-to-win performance until Cornish Dance / English Dance. At that point, with that drill, they had me at that "holy cow how did they do that?!?" level. :thumbdown:

Mike

Madison Scouts 1975.

Blue Devils 1976, 1986.

Fran

75 Madison...you knew from the first note

76 BD

82 BD

83-84 Cadets

86 BD

91 Star

94 BD

96 Phantom and BD

99 SCV

08 Phantom

Madison Scouts 1975.

Blue Devils 1976, 1986.

Fran

Madison '75? Being a '75 Kiltie I try to forget that one.....but yeah, it was some powerful shi*, huh!!!!!

Cadets 2000

Blue Devils 1999. a monster of a hornline

Blue Devils 1988, one of my favorite openers even though they didn't win

Blue Devils 09 - From the moment the show started, everyone knew the game was over. No one else had a chance, just design perfection.
:thumbdown:

I feel like most championship shows save that "championship" feel until the end so I can't really think of any that you didn't mention already.

If it had won I would definitely put Cadets 1992 towards the top of that list though you might technically call it an intro.

For openers in general that I think really identified a corps as being championship quality I would have to go with Carolina Crown 2004. Carolina Crown was completely off my radar until I heard that opener (to be fair, this was only the second summer I'd followed drum corps) but by the end of their opener I was convinced they were on their way to being considered one of the greats.