Iconic Openers

MikeN

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99 Vanguard

/thread

1988 Blue Devils..... We saw lots of BD on tour, I was blown away with the music and staging of "Happy Days," I still am blown away.

1984 SCV Live, this was the most Bad @@@ off the line I had ever SEEN. Then, the next day you got to see it in white pants vs. green. WOW.

99 SCV, I don't know how they pulled off that monster of an opener (?)

Edited by Cop

I might disagree a bit with the premise, ie great " Openers ".

I'd say " it's not how you START, ( a show ), it's how you FINISH ( a show, both musically, visusally )

While Corps that win oftentimes have terrific openers, it is more oftentimes than not the finale that pulls it all together to make it GREAT and memorable. It is thus the FINISH not the opener ( in my opinion ) that is most often the key to championships. Lots of Corps have had great openers, but then the show became rather flat after the outstanding opener.

What do all memorable performances have almost universally however ?

Visual, Musical CLOSERS that get people's jaw to drop at the end.

87 SCV......Star of Indiana......Phantom 08........ '94 BD.... Cavs championship years..... Cadets Championship years, etc..... BD 09 had a rather unremarkable opener, but their closer.. musically, visually, guard,... was a definate step up over the others, leaving you in no doubt on " who is going to win".

Edited by BRASSO

2001 Cadets. never seen it? Go fan network it. it is epic. I don't care if it didn't win, that opening statement is win to me.

Edited by crazymello

Cadets 2000

Thank you. I thought it was going to be left out.

And I know they aren't high places shows, but an honorable mention go to '95 and '96 Scouts.

Garfield Cadets 1985, end of story! I'm not even talking the full opener here, I'm just talking the opening statement. Going from the corps spread out across the entire field to a box form in the front center (with the amazing way Zingali got the last member in the form just as the big hit occurred) and then BAM the hornline hits you full on with the opening statement. And like so many things Zingali did, nothing like that had ever been done before. PURE GENIUS.