Iconic Openers

MikeN

2001 Cadets. never seen it? Go fan network it. it is epic. I don't care if it didn't win, that opening statement is win to me.

Oh my gosh, THAT show. Once you start it you can't stop it. Definate WIN of this thread.

Exactly what I needed to watch tonight. Thanks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just going to go with jaw dropping openers and not all will be finalists.

Cadets-The year they did Rocky Point and won. One of the 3 year sweeps.

SCV 89- a classic

Phantom 89- the build to the big hit was so awsome!!!!

Star 90- just makes me smile

Star 91- makes me do more than just smile :tongue:

Phantom 93- So much aggression and energy.

Star 93-The whole show to me connects as one so it's just a long but awesome movement

Blue Devils 94-My favorite show from them and you cant go wrong with spanish music on the field.

Cavies 95- Some one said they performed it with anger and you sir are so right.

Scouts 95- lots of stuff caused me to just drool over this opener (no gay) :grouphug:

Blue Devils 96-Powerful hit left me craving more and I got what I wanted

Phantom 96- Plenty of emotion and musicality as you expect from this corps

SCV 97-This show was intense from top to bottom and they never let you relax for one second

SCV 99- the subtle start to the bombastic resolve of the first hit was enough to get you another ring

Cadets 99-The taxis and all the other new york like gimmicks were all great

Cadets 00-The turn around...nuff said

Blue Devils 00- The trumpet solo was gorgeous o man

SCV 00-Intensity. It's what I loved this corps for

Glassmen 01-My favorite Glassmen show to date and deserved the high placement it got.

Crossmen 02-The off field start to the show was just too cool

Magic 02-Love "The Wind and the Lion" soundtrack and the fact the audience went nuts for the tenor players recovery.

Bluecoats 02-The start of a great era for the corps and you felt it from note 1

Phantom 03-So beautiful and lush. Definately a phantom trademark

SCV 04-Best show from them ever

Blue Devils 04-The only time I ever thought they got screwed. That opener was so clean and energetic. From the 16th note runs to the stabs.

Crown 05-Loved the high brass fanfare after the first big hit

Bluecoats 05-The slow start, the accel, the solo high note and the hit=chills

Southwind 05-That was a good corps but the show was over the talent levels heads I thought. If it was just a bit cleaner they would've been closer to finals (like 2000)

Phantom 06-Sounded like they needed blood to quench their thirst

Cadets 07-After all the vocals, the hornline gives you what you wanted. And they do it well

Blue Stars 07-The first hit really parted my hair.

Scouts 07-The company front and the one hand on horn impact was cool.

Pacific Crest 08-The boxes fighting each other for control of the field in the opener was really complex. They got really loud in the double company front and boy were they moving at the end of that opener.

Phantom 08-From the preshow to the trumpet fanfare to the DIE!!! This show screamed 1st place.

I saw the title of this thread - "iconic openers, the feel of a champion" - and immediately thought of Cadets 2000. The feel of a champion epitomized.

Cadets of Bergen County 1997

Mellophones in the beginning of Celebration (The Runs from Hell) and the absolutley INSANE drill at the end of the piece! :grouphug::tongue::happy: . Every time I watch that show on the DVDs, I have to watch that opener at least twice. Still one of my all time favorites.

Some shows grabbed me from the middle to the end. 76 Devils for me is a perfect example of that.

But from the beginning:

• Loved that someone mentioned Hawthorne 75. From note one, they served notice that they were absolutely the best corps of that year.
  • 27th in 1980 is another great example. (1980 Spirit ain't too shabby either.)
  • 82 Garfield - before they started to win championships - was still something that absolutely made you sit up and take notice.
  • 83, 84, and 85 Garfield: superb!
  • 1990 Star. Whoa. Can't just mock the pink team anymore. By 1991, you knew 30 seconds into their show that they were going to win.
  • Someone else mentioned the entire package of 2008 Spartacus, and I would have to agree. By Finals, the tone was set as they arrived onto the field, and as soon as they started playing, it was a done deal.

Cheers!

KS

Mellophones in the beginning of Celebration (The Runs from Hell) and the absolutley INSANE drill at the end of the piece! :grouphug::tongue::happy: . Every time I watch that show on the DVDs, I have to watch that opener at least twice. Still one of my all time favorites.

That was just another show that brought me to Cadets. That run was ridiculously good.

That closer drill just makes you want to jump and say go GO GOOOOO!! Such and awesome show they had that year.

I can't believe it took until page 5 to see Madison '95, but at least someone else beat me to it. El Toro Caliente. I love that piece, but Madison blew our faces off with it that year. I would also agree with whomever it was that said Mars from Cavies '95 and Russian Christmas Music from SCV '87. Both epic openers IMO. I also love VK '90 with a really loud and in your face Summertime.

The only show out of these that "won" was Cavies '95, but I think limiting the topic to champion shows is a quite narrow discussion on drum corps. Epsecially since I have enjoyed SO MANY more shows that didn't win than did.