DCI's new "angle" defending Lucas....."ask the judg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you there in Indy?

Yes, I was...Wednesday through Sunday, quarters, semis, Open and World Class Finals.

Who gives a rat's behind about the judges? Did they have to fork out $300 apiece? :grouphug:

This is ridiculous!

So, if DCI pays for my plane ticket, pays for my hotel room

pays for my food, gives me $300 and the best seats,

I'll say whatever................. they want.

Edited by SKEK_SOP

Is he saying that no judge had any negative sentiments toward the venue? If so, that's silly. There's no way every single judge is that dense.

Yes, yes they are...especially if you consider how much kool-aid they've been forced to drink that day and the knife poking them in the back.

Intelligent, passionate and determined people from many "real world" disciplines are working together on this... not merely to "fix" something, but to "create" something magnificent for the performers, the audience, and everyone involved.

Fair enough . . .but I think it almost better to post what you just did in some form on DCI's site, rather than the article we're discussing.

People are willing to meet in the middle, but fluff about the judges perspective only makes it seem like it's a smooth-over of the issues at hand.

Thanks for your response, regardless.

"...but I wouldn't be sacrificing my personal credibility to be a DCI shill."

This I surely believe, as you are (to my knowledge) the only DCI "Official" to interact here. Kudos to you for that, and for reflecting what you're hearing back to Dan's office.

The last thing we want to do is make a statement regarding what's happening within the stadium, trot out the illustrations and diagrams, only to find out that plans have changed and that something that was expected is now going to be executed differently.

Excuse me but I have to call you on this one. Doesn't this sound particularly similar to what we heard in the year-and-a-half BEFORE the season began? I hope this is THE example that DCI gets. We don't want to hear anymore about how good it IS or how good it COULD BE. While YOUR sincerity is appreciated - very much - it's the executive staff and BOD that have lost the luster of "trust us".

Intelligent, passionate and determined people from many "real world" disciplines are working together on this...

We want so much to believe you that we can't understand why DCI can't name some names? Give us some meat, some crumbs even! If it's "Many" disciplines (and not just CFOs arguing over price) please give some examples, some names, a company name.

...not merely to "fix" something, but to "create" something magnificent for the performers, the audience, and everyone involved.

Did you mean "improve"? 'Cause I kind-of thought open stadiums were pretty magnificent!

Appreciate your work, Bob, and for agreeing to be the target (err..."conduit") :grouphug:

Edited by garfield

It's not, actually, provided that there is solid information to share. The exact course of action and the precise steps that are being taken are still being discussed, modeled, analyzed and planned.

As soon as a definitive plan is determined, finalized, receives all necessary approvals and is put into written form, I pledge to share that with everyone interested in such things... all the while knowing that it's going to be sliced, diced, examined, scrutinized and probably aggressively condemned as "not enough" prior to being implemented. I respect that fact that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect the fact that this is a hot button issue with many people who care deeply about the subject, as do I and all of the corps directors, the organizations they represent, as well as the entire community which exists in support of DCI's corps. The sensitivity to those facts are lost on no one, I assure you.

There are many, MANY people sharing a common commitment to create the ultimate drum corps viewing and listening experience in Indianapolis. I know that there are some who may not believe that, but I wouldn't be sacrificing my personal credibility to be a DCI shill.

I also know that there are those who disagree with keeping the championships in one place, regardless of the quality of the stadium experience. Perhaps in a future column or forum, we can discuss the many reasons that growing roots in one community that actually WANTS the championships to be there is something that may ultimately contribute to the future existence and growth of Drum Corps International, and therefore its ultimate ability to serve its members at the highest possible level. The thought that DCI can simply hold the championships in Madison or some other town every year at its whim is a fallacy... unless, of course, the corps would be willing to depart with tradition and house their corps members in hotel rooms, since in most markets the room-nights are the currency of the event and convention trade.

The last thing we want to do is make a statement regarding what's happening within the stadium, trot out the illustrations and diagrams, only to find out that plans have changed and that something that was expected is now going to be executed differently. I hope you can understand my desire to demonstrate restraint to that end.

There are opportunities to develop the World Championships and there are challenges with the facility and with other logistical considerations. Intelligent, passionate and determined people from many "real world" disciplines are working together on this... not merely to "fix" something, but to "create" something magnificent for the performers, the audience, and everyone involved.

I appreciate your response and that you seem to be indicating that something is going to be attempted. However, for judges to do an article indicating an "it really wasn't that bad" attitude, is condescending to the thousands of fans who felt that Lucas had by far the worst sound quality (ie unacceptable quality) of any DCI championship stadium. The sound is important to fans. It is also getting late. If nothing can be done, I would suggest DCI consider a move to Bloomington....an OUTSTANDING venue. I do believe that DCI had/has the best intentions with Lucas stadium, but it was a poor move to make such a long term commitment to a venue that was untested sound-wise. I also hope that you would actually take an actual major drum corps to the venue in early Spring to test any changes being made. Talk is cheap, but I hope that you are right and miraculous changes can be made to make the Lucas venue sound good. However, I am not an acoustical expert, but I believe that it may be a difficult task, or require incredibly expensive structural changes. I hope that I am wrong. All said, though, thanks for your response, and I do believe your individual concern is genuine.

GB

It's not, actually, provided that there is solid information to share. The exact course of action and the precise steps that are being taken are still being discussed, modeled, analyzed and planned.

As soon as a definitive plan is determined, finalized, receives all necessary approvals and is put into written form, I pledge to share that with everyone interested in such things... all the while knowing that it's going to be sliced, diced, examined, scrutinized and probably aggressively condemned as "not enough" prior to being implemented. I respect that fact that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect the fact that this is a hot button issue with many people who care deeply about the subject, as do I and all of the corps directors, the organizations they represent, as well as the entire community which exists in support of DCI's corps. The sensitivity to those facts are lost on no one, I assure you.

There are many, MANY people sharing a common commitment to create the ultimate drum corps viewing and listening experience in Indianapolis. I know that there are some who may not believe that, but I wouldn't be sacrificing my personal credibility to be a DCI shill.

I also know that there are those who disagree with keeping the championships in one place, regardless of the quality of the stadium experience. Perhaps in a future column or forum, we can discuss the many reasons that growing roots in one community that actually WANTS the championships to be there is something that may ultimately contribute to the future existence and growth of Drum Corps International, and therefore its ultimate ability to serve its members at the highest possible level. The thought that DCI can simply hold the championships in Madison or some other town every year at its whim is a fallacy... unless, of course, the corps would be willing to depart with tradition and house their corps members in hotel rooms, since in most markets the room-nights are the currency of the event and convention trade.

The last thing we want to do is make a statement regarding what's happening within the stadium, trot out the illustrations and diagrams, only to find out that plans have changed and that something that was expected is now going to be executed differently. I hope you can understand my desire to demonstrate restraint to that end.

There are opportunities to develop the World Championships and there are challenges with the facility and with other logistical considerations. Intelligent, passionate and determined people from many "real world" disciplines are working together on this... not merely to "fix" something, but to "create" something magnificent for the performers, the audience, and everyone involved.

Why is anyone working on the sound when according to the judges it was fine by them? :grouphug: