2010 Show Design Question

I have seen somewhere on here that some corps may design their shows to best fit the finals venue in Indy.

So, does anyone think that one / some corps may get dumped on all summer at outdoor / non Indy indoor stadiums, only to really shine come quarters and jump several spots?

Its funny to me that corps are being asked to design their shows for a horrible sounding dome, when about 93% of shows over the summer are outisde

I have seen somewhere on here that some corps may design their shows to best fit the finals venue in Indy.

So, does anyone think that one / some corps may get dumped on all summer at outdoor / non Indy indoor stadiums, only to really shine come quarters and jump several spots?

early on maybe since the first dome doesnt come into play until Mid season

I can see some changes being made before going into LOS to accommodate the echo.

It's like the World Series. If you're playing the world series at Fenway, you need a good right fielder and a left fielder with a good arm. If you're playing at Minute Maid Park in Houston, you need a hell of a center fielder because of how deep it is. On offense, if you're at Fenway, you're going to want good power leftys and good contact rightys (short right field, green monster is fair territory).

You've just gotta play to your advantage. That's one of the cool things about drum corps, you constantly have to be on your guard. You may not be playing a team heads up, one-on-one on the same field, but you have to battle your environment, your field, your show.

Absolutely, many design teams will create affects around the sonic space (less layered, "risky" ensemble moments) and less rim shots. Music book wise, some will also start to count on the wet sound effect of back field, end zone facing for the hornline.

Visually, they might plan around that black backdrop for color contrast and palettes.

That's just my 2 cents.

I think that most arrangers and staffs will realize that a "dense" or "busy" book will not speak as well in a place like Lucas Oil, but I don't think that it will radically change the way music is chosen and/or written. The goal is to be clean and effective, no matter what the venue, and corps will always work to reach that goal.

Its funny to me that corps are being asked to design their shows for a horrible sounding dome, when about 93% of shows over the summer are outisde

Well, if you mean the members being asked to play well in their finals venue, what's the issue? But nobody is asking corps to design their shows to communicate better in a dome. It's just happening because it's natural to want to succeed in the largest and most important competition of the season, where the DVDs are made. Also, just because it sounds good in a dome doesn't necessarily mean it sounds bad outside.