Drum Corps scholarships

I will ask for the usual pardons of ignorance about past posts on this topic before I begin....

I am very concerned that today's drum corps dues, especially for DCI World Class corps, are getting out of reach for many talented and deserving kids. While their certainly are cheaper options in Open class, DCA, etc. that I hope kids keep taking advantage of to support those groups, I have to wonder what opportunities are being offered by World Class corps to help kids financially. I know there are SOME scholarships and scholarship funds, but they seem more the exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning the VALUE of the experience they are getting. I do think it is worth EVERY penny and then some and I am sure that most corps do everything they can to keep from overburdening the members financially (I think most membership dues only make up 1/4 to 1/3 of most corps budgets if that). However many World Class corps are charging the same amount as many state colleges charge for a semester's tuition ($2000-$3000)! I know there have been significant cost increases in, well, everything drum corps related from fuel to food to equipment and that has to come from somewhere. Again, I firmly believe most corps do what they can with the best interests of the membership in mind.

I suppose the question I am asking is this: what are WE as an entire drum corps community who feel passionately about this activity doing about this? Are we making this a top priority or should we continue nebulous arguments about electronics and indoor stadium acoustics? If we can quickly raise $50K for fuel in a tight summer like we have done a couple of times now, can we not establish a "superfund" to support deserving kids who want to march but cannot because dues, travel, lost job time, etc. are too much in today's economy? How many have missed out on this amazing experience because of these factors, especially the economically disadvantaged who could use involvement in this kind of activity? Once upon a time, this was ALL drum corps was about.

I would like to know what corps have established, well-funded scholarship programs and if any of you were beneficiaries of those funds. I honestly do not know which corps make high priorities of this because we rarely hear about it. Yes, I know there are at least a couple of scholarships DCI gives that get announced at Finals, but that does not seem to help very many kids. Maybe there are more that do not get a lot of publicity...I hope so.

So....SHOW ME THE MONEY DCP!

If you know of these scholarships, if for nothing else then maybe we could list them in this thread to help out others who are looking for help. If you know of another website that lists these, please post that as well.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I remember....didn't Crown offer a $100 discount for every year you return? So for someone marching at Crown for the 8th year, that would be $800 off the tuition.

Now in Cadets, there are some required fundraisers we had to do, such as the March-a-thons (anybody remember those?), and I know there's an online magazine fundraiser too. I also did Call-a-thons, and out of the blue, I had two people sponsor me....one sent $500 and another one I called during Call-a-thons....he didn't want to donate to the organization, but he just wanted to send me money. So I received $100.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people to call for 5 nights...among 15 of us callers.....and ONE caller sent ME $100.

Sure, it's getting tougher to pay for drum corps, but I also think some corps provide members with the resources necessary to raise the funds. It's up to the members themselves to put forth the effort....based on my experiences.

I will ask for the usual pardons of ignorance about past posts on this topic before I begin....

I am very concerned that today's drum corps dues, especially for DCI World Class corps, are getting out of reach for many talented and deserving kids. While their certainly are cheaper options in Open class, DCA, etc. that I hope kids keep taking advantage of to support those groups, I have to wonder what opportunities are being offered by World Class corps to help kids financially. I know there are SOME scholarships and scholarship funds, but they seem more the exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning the VALUE of the experience they are getting. I do think it is worth EVERY penny and then some and I am sure that most corps do everything they can to keep from overburdening the members financially (I think most membership dues only make up 1/4 to 1/3 of most corps budgets if that). However many World Class corps are charging the same amount as many state colleges charge for a semester's tuition ($2000-$3000)! I know there have been significant cost increases in, well, everything drum corps related from fuel to food to equipment and that has to come from somewhere. Again, I firmly believe most corps do what they can with the best interests of the membership in mind.

I suppose the question I am asking is this: what are WE as an entire drum corps community who feel passionately about this activity doing about this? Are we making this a top priority or should we continue nebulous arguments about electronics and indoor stadium acoustics? If we can quickly raise $50K for fuel in a tight summer like we have done a couple of times now, can we not establish a "superfund" to support deserving kids who want to march but cannot because dues, travel, lost job time, etc. are too much in today's economy? How many have missed out on this amazing experience because of these factors, especially the economically disadvantaged who could use involvement in this kind of activity? Once upon a time, this was ALL drum corps was about.

I would like to know what corps have established, well-funded scholarship programs and if any of you were beneficiaries of those funds. I honestly do not know which corps make high priorities of this because we rarely hear about it. Yes, I know there are at least a couple of scholarships DCI gives that get announced at Finals, but that does not seem to help very many kids. Maybe there are more that do not get a lot of publicity...I hope so.

So....SHOW ME THE MONEY DCP!

If you know of these scholarships, if for nothing else then maybe we could list them in this thread to help out others who are looking for help. If you know of another website that lists these, please post that as well.

I'd be all for it if the member HAD to march with the CLOSEST corps, not their dream corps 2000 miles from their home. You want to march with a corps far away, then pony up and PAY. Scholarships would be nice but I think IMO that they would be abused. Not everyone can afford to do everything they want to. That is just life.

I'd be all for it if the member HAD to march with the CLOSEST corps, not their dream corps 2000 miles from their home. You want to march with a corps far away, then pony up and PAY. Scholarships would be nice but I think IMO that they would be abused. Not everyone can afford to do everything they want to. That is just life.

True, it could be abused, but some pre-set rules/eligibility could be established. Also, I do not think that travel should necessarily be paid for out of a general scholarship fund. If the member can afford to get themselves there, then they are on a level "paying field" (sorry...that was lame) with everybody else.

The last time I remember....didn't Crown offer a $100 discount for every year you return? So for someone marching at Crown for the 8th year, that would be $800 off the tuition.

Now in Cadets, there are some required fundraisers we had to do, such as the March-a-thons (anybody remember those?), and I know there's an online magazine fundraiser too. I also did Call-a-thons, and out of the blue, I had two people sponsor me....one sent $500 and another one I called during Call-a-thons....he didn't want to donate to the organization, but he just wanted to send me money. So I received $100.

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people to call for 5 nights...among 15 of us callers.....and ONE caller sent ME $100.

Sure, it's getting tougher to pay for drum corps, but I also think some corps provide members with the resources necessary to raise the funds. It's up to the members themselves to put forth the effort....based on my experiences.

I totally agree that the members can/should put forth the effort where possible, but as you pointed out, despite a big effort some are probably having a VERY tough time in today's economy in raising funds where people are much more likely to hold on to their money.

If there are fundraisers out there, they seem to be very under the radar. I know of so many talented kids who say they cannot march because of money, but have no idea that help is available and how to get it. College scholarships/grants/loans are everywhere. I would love to see the same kind of situation set up in drum corps, again for kids who truly have a NEED to pay dues (not travel, which they could raise privately).

Also, what do the kids from, say, Hawaii do? I know one came to Crown's first camp, and I am glad he could afford it. What about everyone else? Kids in Montana? Alaska? It's a lot of travel for them no matter what nowadays. They should still have to work for it, but we could do something to help out.

Pioneer has such a program. It is called Sponsors of Pioneer Youth (S.O.P.Y.). Generous donors can sponsor students by filling out a form and sending it directly to the office. The student does not get the money the corps does. I am not sure but there may be a tax write off involved for the donor. More details are on the website.

As with Crown, Pioneer students dues are reduced 100 dollars for every year of service, and also if a student recruits another member that pays dues and marches a season they also get reduced 100 dollars for every student they bring that meets these requirements.

That is another GREAT reason to consider Pioneer to marching in DCI.

Donny

I am with you on this one. I don't want my donation to be used so that a given Euph or Flag can now afford the airfare from Denver to San Francisco. I don't begrudge his choice (actually I do a little). I just don't want to enable it.

I tend to give to the corps in the hope that the money is used where it is needed most and not just to underwrite one individual's preference.

HH

Isn't this something that individuals with all of their individual concerns/needs/assets are capable of deciding for themselves, whether they're marching or donating?

Problem is as costs keep getting higher and higher, less and less people are going to able to say 'yes' to marching or donating. Right now there are very few new corps starting up because of the huge costs involved. I'd say the two are related and is not a good sign....

"Drum Corps.... the few... the proud... the ones who could scrape up the bucks.." :worthy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari