Drum Corps scholarships

I will ask for the usual pardons of ignorance about past posts on this topic before I begin....

I am very concerned that today's drum corps dues, especially for DCI World Class corps, are getting out of reach for many talented and deserving kids. While their certainly are cheaper options in Open class, DCA, etc. that I hope kids keep taking advantage of to support those groups, I have to wonder what opportunities are being offered by World Class corps to help kids financially. I know there are SOME scholarships and scholarship funds, but they seem more the exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning the VALUE of the experience they are getting. I do think it is worth EVERY penny and then some and I am sure that most corps do everything they can to keep from overburdening the members financially (I think most membership dues only make up 1/4 to 1/3 of most corps budgets if that). However many World Class corps are charging the same amount as many state colleges charge for a semester's tuition ($2000-$3000)! I know there have been significant cost increases in, well, everything drum corps related from fuel to food to equipment and that has to come from somewhere. Again, I firmly believe most corps do what they can with the best interests of the membership in mind.

I suppose the question I am asking is this: what are WE as an entire drum corps community who feel passionately about this activity doing about this? Are we making this a top priority or should we continue nebulous arguments about electronics and indoor stadium acoustics? If we can quickly raise $50K for fuel in a tight summer like we have done a couple of times now, can we not establish a "superfund" to support deserving kids who want to march but cannot because dues, travel, lost job time, etc. are too much in today's economy? How many have missed out on this amazing experience because of these factors, especially the economically disadvantaged who could use involvement in this kind of activity? Once upon a time, this was ALL drum corps was about.

I would like to know what corps have established, well-funded scholarship programs and if any of you were beneficiaries of those funds. I honestly do not know which corps make high priorities of this because we rarely hear about it. Yes, I know there are at least a couple of scholarships DCI gives that get announced at Finals, but that does not seem to help very many kids. Maybe there are more that do not get a lot of publicity...I hope so.

So....SHOW ME THE MONEY DCP!

If you know of these scholarships, if for nothing else then maybe we could list them in this thread to help out others who are looking for help. If you know of another website that lists these, please post that as well.

Wait......you mean complaining about electronics, synths, and the dome isn't the most important thing? :worthy:

What is sad is that some schmuck will probably try to make a connection of those things as being the reason for financial burdens :worthy:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not defending high dues, but DCI has been an activity for people with money or people who are willing to work extra hard to make money so they can march. My nephew is marching a local corps that doesn't have expensive dues, but he's still going to have to do a lot of work to make it happen.

If one really wants to march then they'll be able to. I was fortunate for my parents spared me the bucks to part-take my first year, but after that I had to find my own means which resulted in filling holes in whichever corps had vacant spots during the summer and I did this until I aged-out. If you really enjoy the sport then nothing else really matters. If you can't afford to fly out once or twice a month to your dream corps look at one that's closer, so what if it's right down the street it's still drum corps and it's still as rewarding....speaking from experience.

DCI.........the rich kid's sport, haha.

Edited by ajawon

I think most corps try to help...

but you have to understand that the corps wants the fees for the season. It doesn't really matter to them where the money comes from. The fact is there are a lot of people (/parents) who can pay for this experience. The corps cannot put time and effort into helping some students raise money to give to the corps when they can just take a different kid who can write the check.

the alumni association from my corps provides some help via scholarships. I also think that it might help a corps to do as some do and provide discounts for multiple years marched, but then they are losing that money which has to be made up elsewhere.

It really depends on how you do the math.

$3,000 for 60 days == $50 a day.

There's many a DCA corps now that's:

$1,000 for 20 days == $50 a day.

The only thing cheaper is the minimum time alotment, and thus the total costs PER YEAR. As a past sponsor, I get a little burned giving and giving every year. Sometimes I make an effort to actually meet the person I sponsored with said corps (while missing other corps performances at the BIG show). And it's just a real drag when they don't recognize your name. Who the hell are you? I'm the guy who contributed $100+ to your cause this summer. I was going to give you $20 more for you bus ride home, but apparently you don't need it. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Back in secondary school, drumcorps costs about the same per summer that the local marching band's week / weekend trip costs to "some place in state". Not that you could rent a hotel room and get a steak dinner for $50 a day these days. Although you might if you shopped around and had low-ish standards. And it depends on if you add the fuel and oil change costs to your trip. The last time that I drove to a nationals it cost me $400 just for gas. And my car gets over 30mpg. There went 8 "DAYS" of marching corps. (that used to be an entire SEASON back when I marched)

I don't like the costs of current drumcorps. It is too much. It's not that much when broken down, but it's still too much. When compared to typical "bills" as they were. Internet? $50 a MONTH? Phone? TV subscription? Newpaper? Magazine? ....... Drumcorps costs more than any ONE of those things these days. And those are billed per MONTH, not per DAY. And even over the course of an entire year for those services, drumcorps costs more. The long term outlook for the future of corps is bleak IMO. The mega corps of yesteryear where the average member had 5+ years under their belts is apparently long gone. Still possible for a select few, but most consider themselves blessed if they can eak out a single season before they age out these days.

It really depends on how you do the math.

$3,000 for 60 days == $50 a day.

There's many a DCA corps now that's:

$1,000 for 20 days == $50 a day.

I don't know too many DCA corps that charge $1000. Maybe the West Coast corps do to fly their members out for DCA Finals. I know Brigs has been under $500 since I joined in 2007, that's usually broken down to $250 cash and then a $250 mandatory fundraising obligation. Although most members knock out their dues with the ample fundraising the Brigs provide their members.

Yeah, it wasnt that long ago that i marched, but i dont think i couldve afforded dues at the level theyre at now.

Sorry but I’m in a no whiner’s mood today! What is the deal … does everyone want everything in world given to them? If you want to march in drum corps do what countless others have done … get a job and work your little fingers to the bone and save money. I sold chocolate bars, donuts, orange boxes, you name it I peddled it to make money. I mowed grass, plowed fields, and slopped the hogs, cleaned up horse manure, washed cars to make the money I needed. What have you done thus far?

How many people on DCP that marched in corps in the 70s and 80s worked every odd job they could to scrap together enough money to march? I did it! Some corps even offer discounts if you do work for them. Madison used to almost pay for a young mans entire fee if they worked in the Bingo Hall on Friday nights.

Also, you gotta be realistic. If you live in Milwaukee WI and want to be in a corps and you think SCV is the only place you should be … get a clue! Look around, Pioneer is a fine drum corps right their in your back yard. Look around some of you whiners and go to corps that is local to you. You’ve never marched in corps, so how do you know that you’re going to like SCV over Pioneer? I will bet you one thing; you’ll know everyone’s name in Pioneer at the end of the season. You may know the names of everyone in your section at SCV at years end.

Young people of today … quit your whining and get to work. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem!

If you want to march drum corps you will find a way to get the money together by working hard. This way you will feel that you’ve earned your way in and this will make you work twice as hard as being the best corps member you can be rather than someone giving you a blank check and you quitting when the summer gets hard.

Maybe I’m old and jaded, but so many young people today are looking for a hand out and won’t get off the couch and get out and earn your ride the old fashion way … WORK!

Sorry but I’m in a no whiner’s mood today! What is the deal … does everyone want everything in world given to them? If you want to march in drum corps do what countless others have done … get a job and work your little fingers to the bone and save money. I sold chocolate bars, donuts, orange boxes, you name it I peddled it to make money. I mowed grass, plowed fields, and slopped the hogs, cleaned up horse manure, washed cars to make the money I needed. What have you done thus far?

How many people on DCP that marched in corps in the 70s and 80s worked every odd job they could to scrap together enough money to march? I did it! Some corps even offer discounts if you do work for them. Madison used to almost pay for a young mans entire fee if they worked in the Bingo Hall on Friday nights.

Also, you gotta be realistic. If you live in Milwaukee WI and want to be in a corps and you think SCV is the only place you should be … get a clue! Look around, Pioneer is a fine drum corps right their in your back yard. Look around some of you whiners and go to corps that is local to you. You’ve never marched in corps, so how do you know that you’re going to like SCV over Pioneer? I will bet you one thing; you’ll know everyone’s name in Pioneer at the end of the season. You may know the names of everyone in your section at SCV at years end.

Young people of today … quit your whining and get to work. If your not part of the solution your part of the problem!

If you want to march drum corps you will find a way to get the money together by working hard. This way you will feel that you’ve earned your way in and this will make you work twice as hard as being the best corps member you can be rather than someone giving you a blank check and you quitting when the summer gets hard.

Maybe I’m old and jaded, but so many young people today are looking for a hand out and won’t get off the couch and get out and earn your ride the old fashion way … WORK!

Quit holding back, tell us how you really feel.... :worthy: