Time Magazine Top Ten Drum-Corps Performances

How some of those shows beat out Star 1993 and BD 1994 (and a whole bunch of other shows) is beyond me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How some of those shows beat out...BD 1994 (and a whole bunch of other shows) is beyond me.

It's definitely not beyond *me*.

Besides, did you really expect the list to reflect your personal taste? Lists like these ALWAYS have people saying "No, this should have been there, not that." It's an opinion piece. The important thing is that the activity is being recognized.

It has nothing to do with my personal tastes.

I much prefer Phantom 2007 over Cavies 2002, but I would have opted for Cavies if I was charged with writing a "Top Ten Performance" list.

First of all, its way cool that Time Magazine did a piece on Drum Corps. But I have to tell you that that list sounds like someone who knows very little about the activity and the shows that are out there. In fact, it sounds like the guy who put this thing together had a buddy who is a drum corps fan, and that buddy was like 'oh, yeah, put in this show and use that show, it was really cool' and 'oh, guess i will include a couple of old shows for the old school fans'. Problem is, that any doofus who really knows drum corps could put together a pretty all-encompasing list that would pretty much sum up the activity. I am ok with the first few: Spirit 80 is absolutely on the list, but where are three-peat Cadets and 89 Vanguard? And before 95 Scouts, which is a great pick, I agree that 93 Star has to be on there, and if your going to recognize Cavies for being the corps of the 2000's, then there should also be something about Blue Devils winning 4 out of 6 in the 90's. And you can tell that this was kinda just thrown together, videos being wrong, Cadets show taken down, and also that the last five were all from the past couple of years, and the only one that should have been on there was the Phantom 08 show. All the 07 stuff was junk, no offense. So, thanks Time, for letting one of your mail boys do a piece to fill your website.

Remember, opinion.

I'm sure all of us would have liked to see other choices but the fact that Time Magazine is featuring Top Ten Drum Corps is pretty huge! Their choices (IMHO) were pretty good.

:tongue:

Edited by amadorj

Looks to me like the author of the Time article has not been a fan for very long - other than the first two, everything is from the past ten years. And there are a lots of shows from the 80's and 90's alone that I would put above many of those listed.

Full List from Time.com

1. Spirit of Atlanta — 1980

2. Madison Scouts, 'A Drum-Corps Fan's Dream' — 1995

3. Cavaliers, 'Niagara Falls' — 2000

4. Holy Name Cadets, 'We Are the Future' — 2000

5. Santa Clara Vanguard, 'Scheherazade' — 2004

6. Carolina Crown, 'Triple Crown' — 2007

7. Bluecoats, 'Criminal' — 2007

8. Phantom Regiment, 'On Air' — 2007

9. Blue Devils, 'Winged Victory' — 2007

10. Phantom Regiment, 'Spartacus' — 2008

Looks to me like the author of the Time article has not been a fan for very long - other than the first two, everything is from the past ten years. And there are a lots of shows from the 80's and 90's alone that I would put above many of those listed.

Full List from Time.com

I'd take every one of the 2007 shows off. BD 03 DESTROYS BD 07. Coats 06 over Coats 07. Crown 08 over Crown 07.

I'd put Star 93 over Phantom 07 (since Phantom's already on here for 08), and I'd probably switch SCV 04 with SCV 89 (very tough call for me, but 89 was better).

Full List from Time.com

Out of the 10 shows, I would personally agree with 6 of them.

I would swap Cavaliers 2000 with Cavaliers 2002.....I would personally swap Crown 2007 with Crown 2009....

....I would take away Phantom 2007 completely and replace that with Star of Indiana 1993....

And BD 2007 needs to go as well. I would go with BD 1994.

Well, first of all, awesome that the activity is getting this kind of exposure. But....

Some of these shows I don't even think rank in the "top 10 shows of the decade or of that particular group" list.

I agree with 80 Spirit. It is the best Spirit show ever and a show that defined an era of drum corps. It belongs in the discussion for top 10 all time.

Same goes for 95 Madison. This was the best the Scouts had to offer and it defined the period. It belongs in the discussion for top 10 of all time.

00 Cavaliers and 00 Cadets were, to me, turning point shows that ushered in a new era. Both of these shows belong in the discussion for top 10 of all time.

04 Vanguard I don't think belongs on this list. Best Vanguard show since 99, but not top 10 of all time material. Does not belong in the top 10 of all time discussion.

Crown 07 is nothing but the brand of artery-clogging cheese that has come to be Crown's M.O. Doesn't belong in the top 50 of all time.

Bluecoats 07 is a good show but, 06 Bluecoats is superior. Not in the discussion.

Same for 07 Regiment.

07 BD is a perfect example of demand and cleanliness. Great show but there are other, better BD shows. Maybe in the top 10 of the 2000's.

And lastly, we come to 08 Regiment. A show that is, in my opinion, the most overrated show ever in DCI. Bandos and Regiment die-hards, however, were wetting themselves every where and wouldn't stop saying "ZOMFG I'Z TEH SPARTACUZ!!!!!11ONE!!"

Once again, it's awesome that DCI got this kind of coverage.