A letter to Open Class Corps folks

Good.

And why are you Couch '10?

I have no other options to march. I can't get to Texas to audition for Forte's drum line since I don't think you can audition for battery at the sattelite camps. I can't go to Canada for a corps that I have been almost asked to go to, and all the WC corps are filled. At least the battery. It sucks, but I have 5 years left after this summer is over.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can audition for Battery in OH, VA or TX. OH and VA Battery folks that get a 1 or 2 can still earn a spot without flying to TX. There are video tapes to replace TX camp until March, and for April and May (This is basically what some corps do with their international auditionees)

Ooohhhh.....I may have to look into doing that now. thanks.

Ooohhhh.....I may have to look into doing that now. thanks.

Or save yourself a pile of money and have a ball with the DCA experience.

The corps I march in is enjoying a HUGE influx of HS/College members since Scott Stewart came on board. We exercise financial sanity (the corps is currently debt-free, with money in the bank) and have a show for 2010 that will earn some serious baby-throwing from the fans. In addition to two DCI shows and several DCM shows, we do exhibitions at area MACBDA (summer band) shows, where we are treated like rock stars, and have proven a huge recruiting tool. DCI? Why? These kids are having a ball marching with us, are getting really challenging music, marching side-by-side with HS band directors and music instructors, (and a few DCI legends) pay $350 or less in membership, and still work summer jobs. Makes sense to me.

I am dead serious in suggesting OC corps move to All-age DCA (which is growing), ASAP while they are still viable.

Edited by dannyboy

Perhaps OC should consider seceding from DCI and forming their own circuit. This way any residual profits could be pumped into their own circuit and member corps instead of just being an afterthought and a vehicle to keep the parent circuit viable. And recruit the non-band (read non-experienced) young folks to join the organizations. Of course this will mean that the instructors will actually have to instruct...what a concept!

profit? are you serious?

Perhaps OC should consider seceding from DCI and forming their own circuit. This way any residual profits could be pumped into their own circuit and member corps instead of just being an afterthought and a vehicle to keep the parent circuit viable. And recruit the non-band (read non-experienced) young folks to join the organizations. Of course this will mean that the instructors will actually have to instruct...what a concept!

Too late. Too small of a group. Too geographically spread out. No money. Can't afford adjudication.

See what DCM experienced after the big boys left to go exclusive with DCI.

I'm telling you, moving them to DCA is the last/only hope. Dead serious.

Open Class corps could do a lot more to promote themselves. DCI, which is the WC corps, isn't going to promote them like they could, so the OC corps should do it.

Remember this folks...a DCA corps was built with nothing more than internet presence and and word of mouth...in a place that hadn't had a Sr corps for 40 years.

all it takes is a corps, like I see Forte doing, being aggressive online and spreading the gospel

OC is part of DCI and DCI can't just let it go if they control it.

Forte is starting new. They have one of the best people they could have to get them up and running and coming out competivie. Ol' Carl knows what he's doing. He worked it for us, he'll work it for them.

OC is part of DCI and DCI can't just let it go if they control it.

Forte is starting new. They have one of the best people they could have to get them up and running and coming out competivie. Ol' Carl knows what he's doing. He worked it for us, he'll work it for them.

Maybe that is the problem...............DCI in is control of the OC Div. :tongue:

I have also heard that the OC Directors do not even have a vote....Is that true

Dean