127 members have voted

1. 1. Years marched in DCA

• 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 6-9
    • 10-13
    • 14-20
    • > 20

I know it said just DCA member or associate corps but.................

65-71 Jr. Corps

72- New Bedford Whalers (almost made DCA)

75-87 RI Matadors

88-99 Life

2000-2001 Generations

2003-2008 Light Brigade Alumni - "RIP"

2004-? Mass Brass Mini-Corps

2008- ? Defenders Alumni

2008 & 2009 - Brooklyn United Alumni

Winter & Spring of 2009 - St. Kevin's Alumni

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 years...........1966-1981

Someday we'll all be retired and/or gone.... and George will still be marching. :cry:

That reminds me a little of what B-52 crews say about the B-2. "When the last B-2 is retired to the Boneyard (Davis Monthan AFB) the crew will be picked up by a B-52."

16 years...........1966-1981

Fish,

At least you had one good year.... 74 'cause it was with me there too...LOL :cry:

7 Years with The Long Island Sunrisers

1982-83, 85-89

9 Years with The Hawthorne Caballeros

1990-92, 94-98, 2000

1 Year with The Connecticut Hurricanes

1993 (as an instructor)

14 years with The Caballeros Alumni

1994-2008

(Charter member and one of only two people allowed to play with both Caballeros and Caballeros Alumni at the same time when it started....the other being Tim Campbell.)

20+ years with The West Sayville Golden Eagles

(In their mini corps since 2004)

I had a conversation with a real nice gentleman in 08 from the Caballeros(sorry, cant remember his name) and he told me Mr. Costello originally protested any "Alumni" group. Basically hated the idea, and gave his consent, begrudgingly, to allow rehearsals. So this is quite amazing considering the success of Cabs Alumni.

Thank you Frank and good luck this year!

Oh yea, 1 year -2002 Renegades

:cry:

Edited by muzzicman1

Your statement about Cos is accurate. I discussed this with him numerous times. In the 80's, many of us saw the alumni movement as one of "sour grapes" for those who had grown lazy and just wanted to party. We were - indeed - looking at them as recruiting "competition" who could offer more party and less drum corps than we could.

Like everything in life - things evolved and changed. As All Aged programs matured, it became painfully obvious that only a special few would have the physical attributes necessary to perform the programs into old age. The average age of corps began to lower and the outlook for Alumni corps changed drastically. (which fostered growth of the many alumni corps) Cos recognized this and saw an opportunity to create a group of "super" supporters who became VERY influential in helping the competing corps.

That's the great thing about great people - they recognize when NOT to fight change and instead turn it to their advantage.

well who ever you are i have to know you. we marched together.

SAME HERE!

Your statement about Cos is accurate. I discussed this with him numerous times. In the 80's, many of us saw the alumni movement as one of "sour grapes" for those who had grown lazy and just wanted to party. We were - indeed - looking at them as recruiting "competition" who could offer more party and less drum corps than we could.

Like everything in life - things evolved and changed. As All Aged programs matured, it became painfully obvious that only a special few would have the physical attributes necessary to perform the programs into old age. The average age of corps began to lower and the outlook for Alumni corps changed drastically. (which fostered growth of the many alumni corps) Cos recognized this and saw an opportunity to create a group of "super" supporters who became VERY influential in helping the competing corps.

That's the great thing about great people - they recognize when NOT to fight change and instead turn it to their advantage.

that's called being progressive........not conservative.

Even after Cos agreed to the Alumni Corps and gave his consent, it was not without conditions. His main focus was still his competitive field corps, and rightly so. We had certain membership restrictions in the beginning, to insure the Alumni Corps would not be harmful to the competing corps' status and its ability to recruit and continue to flourish. (Many of them, though not all, are still in effect.) Again, he seemed to know the right way to approach the whole idea.

The wonderful thing that has happened is the relationship that has developed between the two groups. The Alumni are very supportive of the competing corps, beyond just the cheering and rooting for them at shows, and they are among our biggest fans whenever we are at an appearance together. The mutual respect and admiration is palpable.

It is an amazing organization to be a part of, and I am proud to be an alumnus and Alumni Corps member.