The real deal

Not just with different generations, but with different types of music, too. Fans of classical says that rock sucks, and vice versa.

Party pooper. :rolleyes:

But let's just say that none of that matters, and the corps was judged on the show alone... :worthy:

I don't think they would know how to judge it.

In 1975 Madison's show was designed to score well with the judging system in place then.

Same 2008 Phantom - designed to score well under 08 rules.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they would know how to judge it.

In 1975 Madison's show was designed to score well with the judging system in place then.

Same 2008 Phantom - designed to score well under 08 rules.

Ture, but I think the question was just about how the show would score under the judging system. Yes, if the corps used a time machine to go to that time era, the judges might not understand it compared to the other shows of the time, but still the judges will judge it and give it a score.

Ture, but I think the question was just about how the show would score under the judging system. Yes, if the corps used a time machine to go to that time era, the judges might not understand it compared to the other shows of the time, but still the judges will judge it and give it a score.

Well, in that case I suspect the M&M judges would have just about zeroed them off the sheets. True for any corps today - but they don't need to be 70's clean any more, nor is it possible w/ the way drill is written today.

Look how much trouble they had judging SCV in 1980. And that was very mild compared to what was to come...

When I was 18 years old I thought that I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Those old timers weren't going to tell me anything because in my mind it was quite obvious that I knew more than they did. Now that the shoe is on the other foot God is making me pay for my sins. :rolleyes:

Well, in that case I suspect the M&M judges would have just about zeroed them off the sheets. True for any corps today - but they don't need to be 70's clean any more, nor is it possible w/ the way drill is written today.

Look how much trouble they had judging SCV in 1980. And that was very mild compared to what was to come...

That may be true for the '08 Phantom going back to 1975, but what about 1975 Scouts coming up to 2008? Not saying they were easy then, but the shows in the '70s weren't as hard as the shows in the 2000s...

When I was 18 years old I thought that I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof. Those old timers weren't going to tell me anything because in my mind it was quite obvious that I knew more than they did. Now that the shoe is on the other foot God is making me pay for my sins. :cry:

LOL! It's just like the "parents' curse:" someday you will have children, and they'll be JUST LIKE YOU! :cry:

That may be true for the '08 Phantom going back to 1975, but what about 1975 Scouts coming up to 2008? Not saying they were easy then, but the shows in the '70s weren't as hard as the shows in the 2000s...

That is exactly what I am trying to dispel. The 70s weren't as "hard" as the blah, blah, blah..... Take the 2000s and add half the members as PURE music ROOKIES, then do your show. Tell me that isn't hard.

Fair enough. They would score poorly in visual GE (although clean execution is good GE in its own right); and be dumped on in brass (for using G bugles if nothing else. Not sure on drum execution - I'm not a drummer, but drums today sound different than from back then.

i respect all eras. my main complaint is shows that bore me to tears

What Jeff said.

And what Marwan said, too....... there have been "yawner" shows at various times from various corps since drum corps began, IMO.

Fran