What year did you begin in drum corps?

Andyroo

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, good ol' Cosmo. Had a helluva drumline that year!

yes he did. he's a really funny guy. always made me laugh. alway's talked about the kids in school that he taught. he loved those kids.

That reminds me of my first Corps. "1962"

(I had seen the Jersey States the year before in 1961 in Asbury Park,NJ )

Well, About 1/3 of the Corps I joined had NEVER even seen a Drum and Bugle Corps contest. It would be their first year as a "Competing" Corps. The V.F.W. Post, came up with the idea to take us by charter bus to see the "Preview of Champions" at Roosevelt Stadium, in Jersey City. They wanted us to see how a contest went, and what a Corps looked like (other than in a Parade).

Sunday, 2pm, June 3 1962, Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ

(in order of final score placement. As per a Program from the contest, "I STILL HAVE !")

EXH's

Les Grenadiers, Shawinigan, Que.

St. Patrick's Cadets, Jersey City,NJ

Juniors

1 Chicago Cavaliers

2 Garfield Cadets

3 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

4 Cambridge Caballeros

Seniors

1 Hawthorne Caballeros

2 New York Skyliners

3 Archer-Epler Musketeers

4 Reading Buccaneers

5 Guelph Royalaires, Ontario

( In My first Contest, a few weeks later at N.J. VFW States in Wildwood, NJ)

I also have the ticket from the 2 DCI east shows I went to. Pretty cool to have memorabilia from the first show I went to (now, if I have it almost 50 years later, I'll be impressed!)

Was at the Cavalcade of Champions 2 weeks before I was born in 1959. First year I actually marched in corps 1972.

I first started marching in a small parade corps in Syracuse, NY in 1966. A fw years later, in 1969 I made my field corps dvut with the Syracuse Marauders as a baritone player. I finished my time with the Marauders at the end of the 1972 season as a Penn-York Circuit Champion! My next marching season was in 1973, with a corps out of Wilmington, DE, Blue Rock! I aged out after that season and did not return to the field until the Syracuse Brigadiers were reserected in 1992! I marched 4 years with the Brigs, '92, '93, '95, and '96. I wanted to march the 1997 season, but I could not handle the music. Wow, what a book!

I've been an avid drum corps fan for decades. I saw my first DCA competition in Utica, NY in 1965. I saw my first Jr. corps show in 1968 in Syracuse, NY (NYS American Legion Championships) I moved into the DCI era with Blue Rock in 1973. I showed up at DCI Finals every year, (except '72 and '81). I have attended every DCI Championships since 1982. My DCA Championships attendance has been spotty at best. However, I have perfect DCA Finals attendance since 1992.

Ron Gunn

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY

1996 was my first year marching, but I found out about and was interested in DC from around 1988-1989.

I first started marching in a small parade corps in Syracuse, NY in 1966. A fw years later, in 1969 I made my field corps dvut with the Syracuse Marauders as a baritone player. I finished my time with the Marauders at the end of the 1972 season as a Penn-York Circuit Champion! My next marching season was in 1973, with a corps out of Wilmington, DE, Blue Rock! I aged out after that season and did not return to the field until the Syracuse Brigadiers were reserected in 1992! I marched 4 years with the Brigs, '92, '93, '95, and '96. I wanted to march the 1997 season, but I could not handle the music. Wow, what a book!

I've been an avid drum corps fan for decades. I saw my first DCA competition in Utica, NY in 1965. I saw my first Jr. corps show in 1968 in Syracuse, NY (NYS American Legion Championships) I moved into the DCI era with Blue Rock in 1973. I showed up at DCI Finals every year, (except '72 and '81). I have attended every DCI Championships since 1982. My DCA Championships attendance has been spotty at best. However, I have perfect DCA Finals attendance since 1992.

Ron Gunn

1997 Brigs brass book had quite a few notes in it for sure! :thumbup:

DA

you people are all old, LOL! I first started marching in 2008, 7th grade, 13 years old:P

This will be my 3rd season of marching....15 years old. Imagine how many years of DCI are ahead!

Edited by HighBrass09