What is missing from Drum Corps today

Also,.. on another note, it was the Cavaliers decision back 20 years ago to write the Visual program FIRST and then write the Music SECOND

Sorry, I just have to debunk this again. They didn't write the visual first, they just sought to design a show that was much more integrated visually and musically than was the style at the time. I don't see how it would even be possible to write the visual part first. But no, asking many people involved in those years, both members and staff, has received a unanimous "it's not true" to this drum corps urban legend.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I just have to debunk this again. They didn't write the visual first, they just sought to design a show that was much more integrated visually and musically than was the style at the time. I don't see how it would even be possible to write the visual part first. But no, asking many people involved in those years, both members and staff, has received a unanimous "it's not true" to this drum corps urban legend.

Fair enough. Would you agree that it would be accurate to say that the Cavaliers reemegence as a genuine Titleist contender came primarily from the Visual side rather than from the Musical side ? Personally, I think most objective fans would say that the principal calling card for the Cavaliers in their reemergence to multiple championships was their stunning VISUAL shows and superb GUARD first and foremost, more so than for their MUSIC.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just wanting to correct the often-repeated misconception that they wrote the visual before the music somehow; I think this came from a misinterpretation of a quote from their show announcement one of those years.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just wanting to correct the often-repeated misconception that they wrote the visual before the music somehow; I think this came from a misinterpretation of a quote from their show announcement one of those years.

they had a similar quote on the ESPN telecast...in fact, I think it was the drum guy who complained about having to come up with x amount of counts of music to fit a visual thought

they had a similar quote on the ESPN telecast...in fact, I think it was the drum guy who complained about having to come up with x amount of counts of music to fit a visual thought

It was the 2005 broadcast.

Bret Kuhn was complaining about having to write a longer drum break because the visual designer needed more time for a move.

It was the 2005 broadcast.

Bret Kuhn was complaining about having to write a longer drum break because the visual designer needed more time for a move.

i knew I remembered that

That's not the same as "writing the visual first". Clearly, the music had been written. The drill writer had an idea that wouldn't fit within the length of the phrase so he asked if the music could be edited. (I'm pretty sure Bret was kidding with his "complaint.)

No,it isn't. While it is correct that Guard is scored as part of the Vis. Perf. score, it is by no means the only captions they are scored on. They also are scored on their own separate caption. Also, most brass lines ( for example ) are larger in numbers than the Guard. Yet the Guards smaller numbers compared to brass are NOT weighted for this factor, nor are the larger brass lines score differently because of larger numbers being evaluated. Thus, from this position alone, the Guard is more important in scores than ( say ) brass line visuals.

Visual performance includes the individual VP judge, the Ensemble judge and the guard judge. All three make up then VP score.

The percussion section is roughly the same size as the guard, and it has a separate component of the music performance score...and is also part of the ensemble music score.

Does that mean that the percussion is overweighted in the music score?

"GE Visual" has it's own separate caption. "Guard" is also separate caption. However, " GE Visual " scores incorporate the " Guard " performance in " GE Visual " score. " GE Music " caption incorporates no such " Guard " score into " GE Music , ergo " Visual " is weighted higher than " Music " under current captions when we look at the 100 point allotment.

Huh?

In the scoring system there is an equal number of points available for music and visual. Your comment seems to be dealing with how many performers on the field are considered in each caption. That would relate to the relative value of each performer, not to the value of the captions. Even then I find your "math" questionable, as guard performers are not considered in any music caption (half the score) and marching musicians (everyone except the pit) are considered in every visual caption.