Carolina Crown Performing Arts Training Center

I really like the idea, too..

1. Where's the rest of the money going to come from? Materials for this place alone will cost well over $1MM. Have plans already been made for a massive funds campaign? Have local businesses and band programs been contacted to help contribute?

2. I can't see how Crown is going to build this place and then all of a sudden offer all of the building's services for free. That is poor business and poor planning. Who's going to pay for electric, water, heat, air conditioning, unclogging toilets, etc? The cost will have to trickle down to somebody, whether it be an increase in tuition for those that participate in all of Crown's programs, or the other groups using the facility in the form of rental fees.

I'm a little worried this will just turn into a year-round situation like that of WGI weekend. Anyone who has been there in the last 5 years knows that rehearsal space is prime real estate. Schools in the area use this to their advantage and charge large amounts of money to rent out their gyms hourly. So.. is this really going to be a facility for the community or is the community going to end up just having to spend more money they don't have on the arts?

You bring up some good points. There would be a lot of money involved in this whole operation well beyond that first million.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think that any of the corps will end up in the top 5. At least the other corps' plans are realistic in their vague terms. I'm betting that IF one of these four corps win any money, they're going to continue on business as usual but with a few extra dollars in the bank to boost their summer programs.

Carolina Crown isn't a drum corps. It is a non-profit with many programs intended to provide educational opportunities for young people through the performing arts. ONE of these programs is a drum corps. All of Crown's programs are in need of affordable and consistent facilities in order to continue/expand.

I don't really think that any of the corps will end up in the top 5. At least the other corps' plans are realistic in their vague terms. I'm betting that IF one of these four corps win any money, they're going to continue on business as usual but with a few extra dollars in the bank to boost their summer programs.

I wouldnt agree with that. maybe on paper yes...

I'm going to go ahead and play mean corporate man... but assuming this facility is built "by" Crown and then "rented" to community programs... well they'd be making a huge financial mistake not charging for its use. Supply and demand, folks.

I'm going to go ahead and play mean corporate man... but assuming this facility is built "by" Crown and then "rented" to community programs... well they'd be making a huge financial mistake not charging for its use. Supply and demand, folks.

Agreed. And that's my main point of contention to the supposed community outreach intention.

Again, I'm not saying the facility would not be a good thing, just that I don't buy the spin on the advertising.

I'd much prefer to see a "Carolina Crown center for kids who don't march good"

anyone?

Alrighty then.

:inlove: