turn down the synths

The 2009 DVD's look and sound pretty good, however, the more I watch them, the more I become irritated by the synths. TURN THE FREAKING SYNTHS DOWN! I know it has already been said on here before but I am saying it again. I am in no way against the use of electronics in drum corps to add effects, however, last year a large majority of corps covered up the lower register sound from the brass lines with synthesizers. We can only hope that the show designers learn lessons from the initial season with electronics and stop covering up the brass sound with synths. You would think the brass judges were irritated by synthesizers masking brass impacts, wouldn't you? OK, rant over.

you would think ensemble music judges would address it, but it gets a free pass, like everything else electronics

i agree with you 1000%%%

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future seems to get darker every day....

always in motion the future is, difficult to see

That is horrific to the point where it makes the baby Jesus cry.

The pit should never be used to cover for anything. If the hornline is weak, stage it differently to help with impacts and improve the hornline.

You have my condolences for having been put in that situation.

i think cover may be the wrong word. i like to think supplement...listen to some of the greatest horn impacts from 89 til synths came in...cymbals added a lot, especially on chords that crescendo. Cadets 89 in the ballad is still the best example of using suspended cymbals to add to the growth of the moment volume wise

Dennis Delucia was a master at using the crash cymbals to hide a snare attack/release back in the day.

Blue Rock made pretty good use of those "coverup" techniques, too....not just with the percussion but with the hornline.

Recently listened to 1971 Blue Rock from the Dream.... the big cymbal crash at the end of "American Salute" covering up a risky release by the soprano line. Genius.

Fran

you would think ensemble music judges would address it, but it gets a free pass, like everything else electronics

I am definitely pro-electronics, but you're right... this bothers me, too.

I know this argument has been beaten to death on DCP.... but if a corps relies on synths/miked voice/whatever to help carry parts of their show, they should be held accountable on the scoresheets if there are problems with the electronics....a system shorting out due to weather, poor microphone technique (in the case of a vocalist/narrator in particular), bad microphone placement, balance issues, etc.

No different to me than having a soloist/duet/whoever being counted on to carry a section of a show, and that soloist/duet/whoever having a bad night. That, too, should reflect on the scoresheets.

My two-cent contribution to a tired old rant. :thumbup:

Fran

I finally got the cd's today....cranked up the volume a little more than normal.....low end synth for Crown and SCV's big pushes was vibrating the car. I'm sure going thru neighborhoods people inside said "#### those kids and that rap #### down"

"Turn DOWN the synths"?!?!?!

How about...

"Turn OFF the synths!!!!!"

Wait...I meant...

"Turn OFF the #&%*#*(#) synths!!!!!!!" :thumbup:

If my corps backed up the horn line with a (horn patch)..........

Why bother marching!

SYNTHS = Bush League